You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Custom Exhaust tips
Jump to page : < ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 >
Now viewing page 15 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Travelin Man
Posted 2011-10-23 10:55 PM (#99757 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: Re: Custom Exhaust tips

Iron Butt

I have been keeping track of all who have contacted me one way or another. I will be manufacturing more sets of exhaust tips but as of right now I do not know exactly when as the work load with my regular production product (cutting tools for engineered wood products, i.e. plywood, particle board, OSB, laminated veneer lumber) has more than tripled in the last 6 months not due to housing market turning around so much as many of my competitors have gone under. Hang in there and I will let everyone know the next time there is a run ready for sale.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hoosiervic
Posted 2011-10-24 5:34 AM (#99761 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for the update. Good to hear business is going well for you. Keep us posted.
20 10 Vision
Posted 2012-01-02 6:10 PM (#104623 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

I am interested when more are available
texasgrumpy
Posted 2012-01-02 6:39 PM (#104624 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

I'm still interested

crash-bar
Posted 2012-01-02 8:17 PM (#104627 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

me too me too did I tell you me too. one of the post way back said you were working on something eles. ??????????????
20 10 Vision
Posted 2012-01-18 5:03 PM (#105638 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

1/18 - I sent a PM to Travelin Man to let him know the thread was still alive and he has potential customers.
Travelin Man
Posted 2012-01-18 7:54 PM (#105645 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Thanks guys! I'm still here and taking names, when I get around 15 more people interested I will see what I can do about pushing another run through although I can state it here that the choices on finish will be more limited, all the bases will be in chrome and you will have your choice of black nickel (I still have about 16 of those left from the first run), flat black anodizing (recommended), or chrome.
bwhittaker
Posted 2012-01-30 4:28 PM (#106413 - in reply to #99757)
Subject: buy Jet tips

Puddle Jumper

, FL
I am definitely in the market for a pair of the Jet Tips for Vic Vision 2011.

I am ready to buy if you have some in stock.

bwhittaker_1@yahoo.com

rwilly
Posted 2012-04-26 6:02 PM (#113022 - in reply to #105645)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Ness now has similar tips for the Vision and Xbikes.
I think the ones from Travelin Man look better.
Travelin Man-You will probably pick up some business if Cyril allows you to post a link on his board how to purchase your tips.

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2012/04/26/arlen-ness-deep-cut-muffler...
Mattchristiani
Posted 2012-04-26 6:09 PM (#113023 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Cedar, Michigan
I've seen a pair of these Ness tips in person. No where near as nice as the ones I bought here. Ness stuff is sweet from 10 feet, put it in your hands and most of it is just a step above Krapyakyn, I mean Kuryakyn.
Travelin Man
Posted 2012-04-26 6:30 PM (#113026 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Matt,

Ness isn't the only player in the exhaust tip game either, Big Joe over at Kewlmetal offers some unique tips too. Like I said when I first started making these jet tips, I'm not in it for the money otherwise I would be charging far more and my accountant told me that I only netted about $150 profit from the entire first run. That's less than $10 per set! I did it because I love to do things like this and because Will over at Cycleops flat out pissed me off with his "show quality chrome" excuses for his exorbitant prices on a trunk rack made out of aluminum flat stock. He is the real one charging custom prices for what is a simply machined part where if he is smart enough there is probably only 15-20 minutes machining time.
Mattchristiani
Posted 2012-04-27 5:42 AM (#113064 - in reply to #113026)

Cruiser

Cedar, Michigan
Travelin Man - 2012-04-26 7:30 PM

Matt,

Ness isn't the only player in the exhaust tip game either, Big Joe over at Kewlmetal offers some unique tips too. Like I said when I first started making these jet tips, I'm not in it for the money otherwise I would be charging far more and my accountant told me that I only netted about $150 profit from the entire first run. That's less than $10 per set! I did it because I love to do things like this and because Will over at Cycleops flat out pissed me off with his "show quality chrome" excuses for his exorbitant prices on a trunk rack made out of aluminum flat stock. He is the real one charging custom prices for what is a simply machined part where if he is smart enough there is probably only 15-20 minutes machining time.

I love the tips I purchased form you. More to the point, everyone who looks at my bike comments on the tips. You should come out with a trunk rack!

Will is a total idiot. He feels because he produces products made of metal that some how he is a magician. Never will I buy a CyclOps product. If you want to charge a high rate for a product fine, but $40+ for a couple spacers nuts? I think Will is perpetually high.
CycleOps USA
Posted 2012-05-25 10:41 AM (#115149 - in reply to #113026)

Tourer

N. Miami, Florida
Travelin Man - 2012-04-26 7:30 PM

Matt,

You crack me up. You've never even seen one of my racks, nor the chrome finish my chromer gives, yet I piss you off. I always make it very clear that my chromer is expensive, but his finish is worth the extra cost and I will put it up against anyone else's. I guess you know better than the 100s of satisfied customers of mine who are overly happy with my products and willing to pay for top quality finish work. Considering in 6 years I have had only one chrome return, yes, only one, I think I'm doing better than most who tell me of 15-20% returns on their chrome goods for one reason or another. Quality costs, period. If you think I put the money into my pocket and not into the products you're sorely mistaken.
CycleOps USA
Posted 2012-05-25 10:47 AM (#115151 - in reply to #113064)

Tourer

N. Miami, Florida
So I'm a total idiot? Do I know you? Have we met? You don't know squat about me or what I do, so your comment is ridiculous. Have you any experience in what's needed to be done or paid for to produce parts in the first place, let alone of the highest quality? Do you run a business and know there are expenses in doing so? As for $40 for spacers, why don't you elaborate and what you're talking about lest you yourself appear the idiot here. Obviously if they were something so outrageously priced then you could do better yourself and went ahead and made them yourself I assume. Guys like you make me laugh. Whine and whine yet have no basis for trying to trash someone they know nothing about. Priceless.

Mattchristiani - 2012-04-27 6:42 AM

Will is a total idiot. He feels because he produces products made of metal that some how he is a magician. Never will I buy a CyclOps product. If you want to charge a high rate for a product fine, but $40+ for a couple spacers nuts? I think Will is perpetually high.
kris1956
Posted 2012-05-25 11:04 AM (#115152 - in reply to #115151)

Iron Butt

Easy, was that response really needed? Having been in business for many years, lashing out at a customer probably won't win you any customers.
CycleOps USA
Posted 2012-05-25 11:32 AM (#115153 - in reply to #115152)

Tourer

N. Miami, Florida
I don't appreciate somebody who does not know me or my products who comes out and calls me an
idiot. secondly it should be very obvious but both of their posts that neither one of them are customers of mine. Those who are actually customers of mine but only know the level of quality I put into my products but also in the pride I take in giving customer service. Posts like theirs are ignorant and uncalled for in the manner they were given.

kris1956 - 2012-05-25 12:04 PM

Easy, was that response really needed? Having been in business for many years, lashing out at a customer probably won't win you any customers.
Mattchristiani
Posted 2012-05-25 12:13 PM (#115156 - in reply to #115153)

Cruiser

Cedar, Michigan
CycleOps USA - 2012-05-25 12:32 PM

I don't appreciate somebody who does not know me or my products who comes out and calls me an
idiot. secondly it should be very obvious but both of their posts that neither one of them are customers of mine. Those who are actually customers of mine but only know the level of quality I put into my products but also in the pride I take in giving customer service. Posts like theirs are ignorant and uncalled for in the manner they were given.

kris1956 - 2012-05-25 12:04 PM

Boy you sure do know how to whine like a sissy girl. I'm originally from Tampa and yes we have met about a year ago or so. Though you might not like me to post the outcome of our meeting. Suffice to say, I have seen your products and yes the chrome looks good. SO???? Your response only solidifies the aforementioned.
Travelin Man
Posted 2012-05-25 5:10 PM (#115186 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: RE: Custom Exhaust tips

Iron Butt

Will, the problem you have, and I have thoroughly went through your posts here and over at the VMC forum to come to this opinion, is that you think everyone NEEDS perfect chrome, the kind of finish people who put their bikes in shows all the time demand, and your only other lower cost option (at not too much of a savings at that I will say) is powdercoating.  I understand fully why you have this view, I've seen your bike and it is definitely a show bike, granted a show bike that you do ride but I seriously doubt you put on the kind of miles most riders of touring bikes like the Vision do.  You need to understand that for 99% of the touring riders out there we only want a rack that looks decent, maybe not perfect chrome but decent, and most importantly is functional.  You are placing a rack you make for the Vision in the same frame of mind as a rack you make for the Jackpot, and the riders of those two bikes couldn't be more different in how they ride or what their needs are.  Hey, do what you want, but when someone comes out with something that is more affordable yet looks good and gets the job done just be prepared.

If you would actually do the machining on the parts you are selling you would know what I am talking about when I estimate a machining time of only 15 to 20 minutes for your rack and in the Chicago area, the job shop capital of the United States, the going shop rate is $54 to $60 per hour for machining time.  You talk about how you hand radius all the edges on your racks, well, perhaps final finishing before plating is needed but that radiusing can be done with a tool in the machining center.  While the prices for 6061-T651 aluminum has gone up and down the past 4 or 5 years, there isn't more than $20  of 1/4" plate stock in your rack.  I know this because I just purchased a dozen 12" x 24" x 1/2" thick 6061 plates to make fixturing (for my cutting tool business) for my new Epilog Fibermark Laser marking system that I just got in.

One last thing, ANYTHING you make I can guarantee that I can actually make it better and sell it for far less than what you can as I only need to break even doing it because of my primary business being where I make my real money at, I don't try to make it off of my fellow riders.

kris1956
Posted 2012-05-25 5:30 PM (#115188 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

I don't have anything against making a decent profit and I realize that's why Cycleops is in business. I do however have to wonder if you would realize more profit if your prices reflected a little more volume.
CycleOps USA
Posted 2012-05-25 8:39 PM (#115210 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

N. Miami, Florida
Kris, these guys just don't get it, but it seems you do. Given the relatively small amount of Vics out there, it's actually quite a small market compared to H-D, not to mention many of the metric bike companies. And to go further, foreign manufacturers of parts have created an unrealistic expectation by many of what things cost to make here and still be able to cover overhead such as rent, liability insurance, utilities, advertising, gas, contractor labor, shipping supplies, and all the other incidental expenses one incurs running a legitimate business versus moonlighting for fun and making parts to sell at cost to friends.
Where these guys, especially TM, go offline is they want utility parts and I don't offer them. Although anything I make is highly functional for the task, they are also finished to show quality levels in most cases. Does this make the cost go up? Sure. But as a businessman is it not my decision as to what level of goods I offer? I have always been very clear about my business model being to make the best and charge according to the final costs. I've never backed down from this yet these guys want to throw stones at me for that decision. My customer base is very loyal for this very reason as they know what they're getting for their hard earned money and are happy to do business with me over and over because of it. The only thing these two guys do over and over is whine about my prices. They can't grasp I won't settle like they will, and for some reason this pisses them off. Oh well, not my worry. They talk like they know something, yet they have no clue whatsoever what it takes, or what I do, to put out what I do. Why is this? Because they settle, they don't strive for perfection. And that's fine, and they're right, there are those out there who don't care about the finish, or an imperfection, or poor chrome, and that's fine. Those just aren't the customers in my target base. Anyone can make cheaper goods, no doubt. That's just not my vision or business plan.

And TM, don't worry, I ride plenty, bling or no bling, rain or shine. And where did I ever post EVERYONE needs perfect chrome? If you dig through my posts you'll clearly see that is quite the opposite, and that very often I talk about my market being specifically those not willing to settle for the quality you may find acceptable. So if you want to quote or paraphrase me at least do it accurately and without your self created fantasy BS. You make a lot of assumptions and talk a lot of trash, yet you know so much less than you spew, and if no one else here sees through your chest pumping know well I do. You want to spend your time making parts as a hobby for no compensation, that's fine, go right ahead. Spend 50 hours a week doing it for nothing, again, fine by me. Hell, get into the business better still and do it full time. At least that way you'll realize how full of shit your posts on this have been when you have to actually cover expenses and find there's nothing left afterwards for a paycheck. You're the type who thinks putting out cheap parts to undercut others is a business plan for success. Go ahead, and I'll just sit here and watch you go bankrupt when the reality of running a cash flow intensive business bites you in the ass while you eat returns and warranty your failed parts. You watch everyone else in front of you, and that's where I'm different from you... I don't look back over my shoulder at guys like you as I leave them in the dust where they belong. You can have you oats that have already gone through the horse, while I'll gladly pay a little more for the fresh ones not yet eaten, it's that simple.

And Matt, whoever you are, post whatever you want and refresh my memory of why you didn't leave a lasting impression on me even more than your posts here. Sissy girl, huh? Now that's a good one. LOL!

Edited by CycleOps USA 2012-05-25 8:43 PM
Travelin Man
Posted 2012-05-25 10:39 PM (#115218 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

<p>I refuse to be baited into further argument on this forum.</p><p>Will, good luck in your endeavors, I hope you reap the rewards you have worked so hard to attain. <br /></p>

Edited by Travelin Man 2012-05-25 11:08 PM
kris1956
Posted 2012-05-26 4:00 AM (#115224 - in reply to #115218)

Iron Butt

Will, I realize the Victory market is small. I can appreciate the quality of your products but I still have to wonder about your market share. In other words is your mark up so much that it's costing you customers. As I said previously I understand the need for profit, I make a profit too but not at the expense of longevity.
That being said it's your business, you run it your way.
uknessie
Posted 2012-05-26 4:52 AM (#115227 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Henlow, Bedfordshire, England
I don't fully understand why anyone is baiting or rising to the bait here, you make a limited run product you charge what you want to charge. The customer will either buy or not buy it. As for the tips I have a set and they are fantastic, they are expensive but so was my Vision and I want to make it mine. I have spent at least a third of the cost of the bike on extras without trying but its my hobby. I don't smoke and don't have kids. My trade is in the shoe repair industry and we make some parts as one offs because of the low volume and if you looked at some of the prices we have to charge because of this you would laugh but we have no choice nor do our customers. Will, it seems everyone says your stuff is top notch, if ever I want anything from you it won't be the price that puts me off.
jb.hatch
Posted 2012-05-26 6:48 AM (#115231 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Phenix City AL.
I have a cycleops winged rack, and the lowers, I ride my vision every day, his products are great, well worth the money. I know will, great guy, its awsome to see a regular American making a company from his own two hands. KEEP up the great work will. For the OP, your tips are great. Sorry for the rant.
jb.hatch
Posted 2012-05-26 6:48 AM (#115232 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Phenix City AL.
I have a cycleops winged rack, and the lowers, I ride my vision every day, his products are great, well worth the money. I know will, great guy, its awsome to see a regular American making a company from his own two hands. KEEP up the great work will. For the OP, your tips are great. Sorry for the rant.
Jump to page : < ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 >
Now viewing page 15 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™