You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

National Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet Law?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-04-18 10:24 PM (#57910)
Subject: National Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet Law?

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
FYI

http://www.abateofindiana.org/about/news/10-0416_mrfntnlhl.html

Edited by victoryvisiontour 2010-04-18 10:25 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iluvink
Posted 2010-04-19 7:27 AM (#57919 - in reply to #57910)
Subject: Re: National Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet Law?

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
Hopefully, this will fail, as it has in the past.
sonicbluerider
Posted 2010-04-19 7:35 AM (#57921 - in reply to #57910)

Tourer

, IA
wear one all the time so its no problem to me
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-04-19 7:37 AM (#57922 - in reply to #57910)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
till never pass. I know at least in a Commonwealth like PA it wont. they just lifted the helmet law a few years ago.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-19 8:35 AM (#57923 - in reply to #57910)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Arkainzeye - I go to Frederick County, Va quit a bit and my sister lives off I-81 in WVA and my brother close to Altoona. Hopefully, one of the trips I make that way we could ride a mile or two...
XRsteve
Posted 2010-04-19 8:46 AM (#57926 - in reply to #57910)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Screw that Senator, more goverment intrusion into our lives............
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-04-19 9:32 AM (#57929 - in reply to #57910)
Subject: RE: National Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet Law?

Iron Butt

I like the law some states have adopted where if you carry proof of adequate insurance then the choice of wearing a helmet is up to you. I'm not saying I'm for or against helmets, but I am definately pro CHOICE. Especially when you can prove you will not become a burdan to others.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-19 9:41 AM (#57930 - in reply to #57910)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Virginia moved there helmet law from a moving violation to a non-moving violation with a $75.00 fine. I've seen a few riders without a lid, to include an elderly couple on a Goldwing, but they may have just forgot...

Edited by varyder 2010-04-19 9:42 AM
Mudge
Posted 2010-04-19 10:13 AM (#57935 - in reply to #57910)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
It will come. If not now, down the road when the government's plan to take over health care creeps bit-by-bit further along from its current initial stage to its final stage of complete government control and administration. Some liberal government genius will come up with the idea that since the government is responsible for health care all motorcyclists must wear helmets since it may save the G money by reducing the level of injuries in crashes. Worst case scenario; any behavior of an individual which might at some time be the cause of need for medical treatment will be prohibited, regulated, taxed, or have a fine attached.
Roadrocket
Posted 2010-04-19 10:37 AM (#57936 - in reply to #57935)

Cruiser

B'ham, Al.

Mudge - 2010-04-19 10:13 AM It will come. If not now, down the road when the government's plan to take over health care creeps bit-by-bit further along from its current initial stage to its final stage of complete government control and administration. Some liberal government genius will come up with the idea that since the government is responsible for health care all motorcyclists must wear helmets since it may save the G money by reducing the level of injuries in crashes. Worst case scenario; any behavior of an individual which might at some time be the cause of need for medical treatment will be prohibited, regulated, taxed, or have a fine attached.

Yep, that's their plan. Won't effect me 'cause I wear one all the time. BUT, I do resent that it infringes on our rights as a free people. Don't need no

lacy-pants politician tellin' me what to wear

RR

VisionTex
Posted 2010-04-19 10:40 AM (#57937 - in reply to #57935)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Mudge - 2010-04-19 9:13 AM

It will come. If not now, down the road when the government's plan to take over health care creeps bit-by-bit further along from its current initial stage to its final stage of complete government control and administration. Some liberal government genius will come up with the idea that since the government is responsible for health care all motorcyclists must wear helmets since it may save the G money by reducing the level of injuries in crashes. Worst case scenario; any behavior of an individual which might at some time be the cause of need for medical treatment will be prohibited, regulated, taxed, or have a fine attached.

I agree, it will come. Motorcyclist are a minority, so it is easy for government to make this happen as it does not really upset the political majority. I see now they are also trying to make Major League baseball players that use smokeless tobacco to stop using while at a game. Says that influence our youth too much. Again, the majority will say, who cares!! Now if Feds ever try to make driving and cell phone talk/texting a simliar offense as DUI, then the majority will say, whoa there, can't do that!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-04-19 11:45 AM (#57940 - in reply to #57923)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
varyder - 2010-04-19 8:35 AM

Arkainzeye - I go to Frederick County, Va quit a bit and my sister lives off I-81 in WVA and my brother close to Altoona. Hopefully, one of the trips I make that way we could ride a mile or two...

VARYDER- that sounds good to me.. if you do a google maps search im in zipcode 15241. gives you an idea where im at in the state.. =)

Chris
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-19 12:24 PM (#57944 - in reply to #57910)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
This reminds me of the BC Helmet Law passed some 25 years ago. I had been riding then for some 25 years helmetless, and so was very P.O.ed that some Gov't A-holes could tell me what to wear. So I decided to fight - or at least put up a fight.
I did some research (before internet) on all causes of death in BC in the 2 years prior. i discovered that more people died "falling out of bed" than died in "motorcycle crashes".

Yep - it was true, so I sent my documentation to the Gov't - making the point that if we are to legislate helmets for bikers, then people should have to put on a helmet before going to bed at night.

Well, wouldn't you know it - the Bastards ignored me. We still don't have to do Bedtime Helmets. NOT FAIR ....
varyder
Posted 2010-04-19 12:38 PM (#57945 - in reply to #57910)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
who says you can't wear a helmet to bed don? It's just not mandatory and I'm sure the co-pilot would let you wear your chaps too!

Edited by varyder 2010-04-19 12:39 PM
Probie
Posted 2010-04-19 1:18 PM (#57946 - in reply to #57910)

Cruiser

guelph ontario
I need to wear my helmet to bed.
Webhair
Posted 2010-04-19 2:35 PM (#57949 - in reply to #57910)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
I believe it should be a choice! I am tired of big government...

Personally - my choice is to wear one but I do not want government dictating that I must!
varyder
Posted 2010-04-19 2:43 PM (#57951 - in reply to #57949)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Webhair - 2010-04-19 3:35 PM

I believe it should be a choice! I am tired of big government...

Personally - my choice is to wear one but I do not want government dictating that I must!

no government comes in my bedroom....
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-19 2:49 PM (#57953 - in reply to #57910)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Well, when you consider all the deaths and injuries from falls in the house, we should have to strap on a helmet BEFORE we get out of bed, and wear it all day - the savings in medical and insurance costs would pay for your new Health Care System - many times over!

Write your congressman ! Get a law passed.....
Teach
Posted 2010-04-19 3:13 PM (#57954 - in reply to #57910)

Visionary

I suspect the Fed would get a lot of flack from the States for trying to over step their authority.
Ark just for future reference PA did not lift the helmet law, it still exists. You MUST be 21 or older to ride without a lid, have a minimum of 5 year MC endorsement OR have been through the MSF course (still must be 21 or older). What was done is a repeal on portions of the law. With that said I have believed since this repeal that it was designed to fail. There are NO mechanisms in place for LEO's to tell if a lidless rider is legal or not unless pulled over. As a result we have MANY younger people breaking the law and getting wrecked without a lid.
As the Natl healthcare plan begins to run over cost, you'll see the Fed trying to regulate ANY percieved dangerous activity, including riding.
vbbuilt
Posted 2010-04-23 9:56 AM (#58218 - in reply to #57910)

Puddle Jumper

I suspect mandatory use will eventually come and state's access to highway funds will be tied to it.  Just as was done with seatbelt laws.

I've always used seatbelts since day one - they've saved my skin more than once and a helmet saved my noggin, too.  I'm an advocate for pro-choice - the rider chooses their path, destiny and accepts the responsbilities, consequences, risks, and rewards.

Vince.

Edited by vbbuilt 2010-04-23 9:57 AM
DesertJim
Posted 2010-04-23 12:14 PM (#58223 - in reply to #57910)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
This was in the NY times this week-an interesting statistic that MC deaths were down first time since 1997.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/motorcycle-deaths-down-i...
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-04-23 2:00 PM (#58233 - in reply to #57910)

Iron Butt

It would be interesting to know the REAL root cause of lower MC deaths. If I had that piece of information it could possibly save my life some day.
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-23 5:52 PM (#58249 - in reply to #58223)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr4503.pdf

IHS study says Anti-lock brakes and increased helmet usage are the reasons.
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-23 8:07 PM (#58254 - in reply to #57910)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
When I bought my first life insurance policy 35 years ago there were a number of exclusions for death caused in "high risk" recreational activities. Among these were sky diving , scuba diving, motorcycle racing, etc.; my recollection was it was a pretty extensive list and the policy even excluded some occupations.

My policies do not however exclude motorcycle riding, I was very careful to make sure of that before I purchased, and was careful to disclose that I rode a motorcycle on the application (friend/ agent). I am given to understand that some policies do exclude motorcycling in general.

My guess is that a life insurance company's "risk management" attorneys might have a pretty easy time reducing (or eliminating) a payout in the event of a death that could be proved to be the result of head trauma, if the motorcycle rider were not wearing a helmet.

Im not a lawyer - just thinking out loud.
Prime Power
Posted 2010-04-23 8:15 PM (#58256 - in reply to #57910)

Cruiser

I believe it is coming. I am Active Army and must wear at all riding times: helmet, glasses, gloves, pants and long sleeve. Not just a helmet. Government runs my healthcare, and now will a majority of the public. It is only a matter of time.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™