You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Desert Riding
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2010-04-21 6:48 AM (#58061)
Subject: Desert Riding

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Okay Vision riders, I've got my own ideas going, but I would like to hear from those who regularly scoot around the desert for more than a couple of hours. Nothing is confirmed on my part, but I want to get ready. I've rode across Texas for about 5 hours or so in 100 temps the one year I went and faired well, it was rather normal except for drinking extra fluid. I always wear long sleeve shirts and I'm prone to wear a banada cross the face, goggles and of course a helmet. I would even wear my full gloves as I know the desert sun can really get you.

I'm looking at other conditions and don't know IF I go, that it'll be I-40 or another road. I'll certainly have it mapped out going into the Barstow. I'm looking at the overall experience, even those who went and WISH they had done something different. I pack prepared but to the minimum and I'm prone to say "never mine" to my own chagrin. I listen to those who have "been there, done that" that is what I'm looking for, and those who have done it on a Vision. The thing that does concern me is that in the desert (you can't remember your name) the Vision's air management will work against me since I want the flowing air. I plan on going with the blade to give me some more air and it is adjustable, so that works for me.

I'm thinking the big deal is the road conditions, broken pavement, blowing sand, tumble weeds, critters, and the such. There again, been there done that comments. Anyone? Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mkultra
Posted 2010-04-21 8:28 AM (#58065 - in reply to #58061)
Subject: Re: Desert Riding

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
Hydration and sunscreen. Two most important things. When stopping, soak your shirt and bandana in water, maybe one around the neck, heck you'll be dry in no time. Depending on the time of summer, monsoons can hit real quick...and I mean real quick. Ya might have to pull over, hunker down and wait it out if your in the middle of nowhere....been there done that. Ive been riding year round in Az. for 28 years and the number of bikes on the road at noon in the summertime is limited.......Reckon I'm just one of the nutty ones....

mike
varyder
Posted 2010-04-21 8:36 AM (#58067 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks Mike. I'm glad you chimed in, as you confirm that it is okay to be nutty. I've been thinking that I would work my strategy out there to ride the night time, say from 5pm to 10am or so and then get a few hours shut-eye. That's my target, to make it at Barstow at 10am. Is that a good strategy or is there other crazy things to look out for at night? I've not check my mileage for that stretch, though it's about 2,300 miles from my house to Barstow. I was going to roll around 1,500 miles or more the first leg, and then rest, finishing up the rest, 5pm to 10am - 17 hours worth. Just starting to bounce this stuff around and talking out loud. Not looking for perfection, but just want to be mentally prepared.
SongFan
Posted 2010-04-21 9:18 AM (#58071 - in reply to #58061)
Subject: RE: Desert Riding

Visionary

Memphis

Chris,

Can't remember if you have the lower wind deflectors installed but if you don't, you will need them.  This is not a drill. 

I was standing in my dealer showroom the summer after I got my bike ('08).  A middle aged couple came in on a Vision and were riding from California to North Carolina.  They stopped in for an oil change and we chatted.  The Vision was still brand new and except for Pollolittle, I hadn't met any other owners.  I asked how they liked theirs and they loved it except for the engine heat.  The guy pulled up his left pants leg and had a 3x3 bandage on the inside of his calf.  He pulled the bandage back and had a really nasty looking 2nd degree burn about the size of a silver dollar.  He said they were going through Arizona with a constant crosswind from the right (out of the south) and the wind blew the engine heat onto his calf for about four hours straight.  Said it felt like a blowtorch.  He was about 5'8" tall and the bike had no highway pegs or lowers on it.  He had never heard of the lowers and I went behind the counter and pulled a set off the rack.  They stayed an extra night in Memphis just to get them installed. 

Desert roads/riding is very similar to West Texas.  I spent 15 years in Tucson and the only critter difference is after one of those monsoons.  I was driving along one night after a rain and the road ahead looked a little different.  I couldn't tell if it was a low spot with some standing water still in it or what.  I slowed down and and noticed the patch was moving left to right covering the whole width of the road.  Now I really got on the brakes.  Turns out it was a migration of tarantulas crossing the road.  Thousands of them.  I had lived on Tucson for about 10 years prior to that moment and up until then, had only seen a couple in the wild.  The line was about two feet wide and I rolled over them, crunching all the way.  Had nightmares for about two weeks after that.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin....

Edited by SongFan 2010-04-21 9:20 AM
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-21 9:23 AM (#58073 - in reply to #58061)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
Desert travel in my experience is interesting; and there are things that can get you dead if you're not careful.

Mkultra is correct the monsoons can be a real surprise. I got caught in a flash flood while camping in the "bike" section of a KOA in Tucumcari NM. I lost a little gear, almost drowned, and had to dig my Beemer out of the sand in the morning. The only reason that I found it (the bike) at all was a little bit of the left cylinder head was still visible sticking up out of the sand. As an aside, the BMW legends are true, you absolutely can break down the top end on a old R series bike with the tool kit supplied by the factory. Sand can get almost anywhere.

FUEL IT! PAY ATTENTION. Gasoline stops can be few and far between. Dont pass them up if you are low, the next one may be 150 miles away.

Arizona has recently closed 13 ADOT rest areas. Stopping at night on the side of the road is not safe for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that cold blooded creatures (ie snakes) like to lie on the pavement which holds heat longer than the sand. I found that the early morning hours on the highway can look like are a buffet for carrion birds as the night time traffic kills a lot of them.

Blowing wind and sand are never a good thing. You can see a sand storm coming from a pretty good distance but if you get into one you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking when you left home.
My secret to get through them safely? Follow the van load of nuns. I'm not kidding, but that is another story.

It can also get surprisingly cold at night in the middle of summer if you are at altitude.

Bring a crushable broad brimmed hat and carry your own water. If something happens and you are sitting on the side of the road in the middle of the day the wait for help will seem like an eternity.

Edited by Tarpits99 2010-04-21 9:34 AM
varyder
Posted 2010-04-21 9:52 AM (#58074 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'm going to get my check list down for this trip - IF they send me and IF I have time to ride to and from. I'll send all my dress-up clothes via FEDEX and just take my essentials for survival. I don't expect to be more than 2 at most three days coming or going, but a few hours in the desert can seem like a day. I think I can handle the night riding and will have the ware for that as if I cross the great divide in July it can still be cold, I think. I know the desert can get cold at night, but I've never rode it at night so I wanted to make sure of those hazards. Once I get to Barstow, chances are the bike will stay parked during the day and i'll ride to work, but in the evening I would ride. I just like thinking through these things over and over to narrow down the bits.

As far as the lowers, I don't see me installing them for this trip, at worse I'll be wearing cut-offs with my chaps, but I will wear chaps. Jacket, well that's another story, heavy long sleeve with wicking material underneath will be my way. I've read the burning story, and I've rode in the heat, and I understand the cross wind aspect, but there is way too much realestate to move my legs around in to give that a second thought. That was an extreme, Vision or no Vision. People burn their legs on Harley's in less conditions than that, so if I gave that a thought I'd be flying instead. Not a bag on the lowers, I've just not felt the need on mine and I appreciate the "you will, give it time" thoughts, but I'm like mkultra...crazy...

BTW Mike, you've got the lowers??? Just curious...

Edited by varyder 2010-04-21 9:54 AM
radioteacher
Posted 2010-04-21 10:30 AM (#58075 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Get a VA Concealed carry permit and ride in the following states.

Virginia CCW Reciprocity Map

States that Honor Virginia's CCW Permit:
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida*, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan*, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont*, Virginia, West Virginia

* Honors RESIDENTIAL Virginia permits only.

from http://www.carryconcealed.net/

The heaviest part of concealed carry is responsibility.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-21 10:54 AM (#58076 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
check
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-04-21 12:49 PM (#58083 - in reply to #58061)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
varyder: I've rode that route (over the course of a few days from Santa Monica, CA to Amarillo TX). I found I had to reapply sunscreen EVERY stop to keep sweat from removing it (even though it was supposed to be waterproof). I learned from the week before that I needed to cover up because I was burnt pretty good. The very best thing that I found to me stay cool was a white, cotton, long-sleeved shirt. I bought 1 on my road trip at Wal-Mart and then stopped in another store and bought 2 more after riding with one on. Believe it or not, they made a huge difference. I still have them and break them out at summer.
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-21 1:08 PM (#58085 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Just curious. Why would you need a concealed weapon?

Shoot scorpions? Your foot? Or is the desert full of bad guys - who are also armed (and ready to use them) ?

Sorry - the concept makes ANY Canadian a tad nervous.....
varyder
Posted 2010-04-21 1:13 PM (#58086 - in reply to #58083)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
bigwill5150 - 2010-04-21 1:49 PM

varyder: I've rode that route (over the course of a few days from Santa Monica, CA to Amarillo TX). I found I had to reapply sunscreen EVERY stop to keep sweat from removing it (even though it was supposed to be waterproof). I learned from the week before that I needed to cover up because I was burnt pretty good. The very best thing that I found to me stay cool was a white, cotton, long-sleeved shirt. I bought 1 on my road trip at Wal-Mart and then stopped in another store and bought 2 more after riding with one on. Believe it or not, they made a huge difference. I still have them and break them out at summer.

that is exactly what I have in mind, I'm going to be ready for this when it arises. I've used the wick shirts that golfer speaks of too (theVMC) and I'm going to stock up there. I wear black just about all the time, but now it is time to go with the white. I don't expect to use any sunscreen per se as I'll be covered all around. I know what it is to ride on a good sunny Virginia day and I know what it is like to spend a month in the mojave, I've just never rode there on a bike. Wal-mart, I get a a 10% discount since my wife unit works there...

(makes the supertech oil filters even cheaper )
varyder
Posted 2010-04-21 1:40 PM (#58089 - in reply to #58085)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
donetracey - 2010-04-21 2:08 PM

Just curious. Why would you need a concealed weapon?

Shoot scorpions? Your foot? Or is the desert full of bad guys - who are also armed (and ready to use them) ?

Sorry - the concept makes ANY Canadian a tad nervous.....

that's why we have to check them at the door...

as far as the need, well, there are those who would rather carry and NEVER need it, then to be in a situation to need it and not have... not everyone is from Mayberry...

Edited by varyder 2010-04-21 1:46 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2010-04-21 5:50 PM (#58099 - in reply to #58089)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
VA, don't for get the powder, when it is hot...need to keep the nards and the arss powdered up. When really hot in the Lone Star State, I usea Amour All long sleeve under one of the Bass Pro Shop white fishing shirts. They have all them vents and pockets, it is pretty cool. Oh and I think all of us want to see you in shorts (short cut offs) and chaps, from the back. Please have someone take a picture and post!! It would have to be one of SF posters.
STARSHIP 1
Posted 2010-04-21 7:54 PM (#58113 - in reply to #58061)

Cruiser

Houston, Texas
Chris...

Another trick I learned from riding in the Texas heat...go to WalMart and buy a pack of white tube socks, when you get into the heat stop and fill the tube sock with ice and tie the end off. Drape that around your neck, that usually lasts fuel stop to fuel stop for me, refill as needed.

A cheap "cool-wrap" and as they say, neck cool, body cool.

Teach
Posted 2010-04-21 8:38 PM (#58128 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

varyder, found that on the Vision with full windscreen, if you have a vented mesh jacket (even with a liner) and soak it in water at stops and tuck the mirror fins back you'll get the full air conditioning affect. This trick works on any full bagger. Oh and I haven't ridden through AZ but I've ridden deserts on 4 continents and its worked every time. Enjoy the ride.....
nice rides
Posted 2010-04-21 8:49 PM (#58132 - in reply to #58061)

Cruiser

Nova Scotia , Canada
Last summer my wife and I and another couple rented 2 visions from the Arlen Ness shop in Vegas and 2 Dyna Low riders from Eagle Rider. We traveled from Vegas to Furnace Creek in Death Valley the first day, when we got off the bikes it was 110 degrees F. The visions had the lowers and we had no problems with burns, The ladies were ok on the highways but in the city were complaining of the heat and had to stop several times to let their legs and the bikes cool down.

Next day we left Furnace Creek and drove through the Mohave Desert through to Kingman Arizona, no problems with the heat, the temperature was around 98 ? 100.

The third day we left Kingman and traveled over Hoover Dam then back to Vegas. The Visions worked great and we had no issues with our legs becoming burnt.

When we go back this year we will be using a hydration vest, you soak it in water and as the water evaporates to cools your body core temperature. They are only $45 in the bike shops in Vegas. I also agree with the sunscreen, you sweat it off pretty quick

Don
varyder
Posted 2010-06-03 11:01 AM (#61394 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
bringing this back to the top - I've got to reread all of the comments, but it is a go for me to ride from VA to Barstow, woo hoo! I'll depart very early Friday the 25th of June and hope to be well and pulling into Barstow mid-day the 27th. Then it is two weeks there, and then the return trip to Va starting on the 9th, and ending up in Va sometime on the 11th. I've got a lot of reading to do, mentally I'm ready though. Are we there yet?
RedRider
Posted 2010-06-03 11:22 AM (#61395 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

As far as sunscreen I use the children's 50 first thing in the morning and then I use a 35 spray on at each stop. I carry the spray on in a ziplock bag in a pocket of my travelbag. This may all change this summer after my cancer treatment. Stay tuned. :P
Have fun.
varyder
Posted 2010-06-03 11:27 AM (#61396 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks redrider. I plan on taking sunscreen but I'll be wearing whitelong sleevs and wearing a face bandana that should take care of any exposure. Though I might do a little exposure riding to get some suntan tatoos, like the big Victory patch on my back, or on the top of my head.

We'll keep you in prayer if you don't mind for the cancer. Hope it all works in your favor.

Edited by varyder 2010-06-03 11:28 AM
Lotzafun
Posted 2010-06-03 12:15 PM (#61401 - in reply to #58061)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

I'd strongly consider a Camelbak water system. Fill it up and put it in the cavity in bottom of the trunk and feed the line up to me. Think about it....no need to stop for water breaks. I'd go with just the water bladder and feed line, not a whole system.

They can be had all over Ebay and the net for fairly reasonable prices.

A link to thier site... http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation.aspx

And keep in mind that you are gonna have a lot of areas with no cell phone reception available.
varyder
Posted 2010-06-03 1:38 PM (#61408 - in reply to #61401)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
yes, camelbak

(hot_barstow.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hot_barstow.JPG (49KB - 1 downloads)
sonicbluerider
Posted 2010-06-03 2:00 PM (#61409 - in reply to #58061)

Tourer

, IA
camara so u can take pic's of all the things u r worring about
CowboyVision
Posted 2010-06-03 3:00 PM (#61413 - in reply to #58061)

Cruiser

Meadow, Texas
My suggestion - FroggToggs Chilly Pad (will keep you a lot cooler for a while) and TechSox ( keeps feet dry and cool).
I also ride with a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket, if it is a little cool at night this will save you. Plus remove the outer shell and just have the mesh - wet it down and you'll feel like you have air conditioning. Plus a lot lighter than leather and will save your butt in a oopsie. Just some thoughts.
"O"
varyder
Posted 2010-06-03 3:07 PM (#61415 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
thanks for the thought, great advice Larry, i need the sox and the more wicking undershirts. Since you reminded me of my butt, I'm going to have to sacrifice a goat and get something for the saddle since I neither have the $ or the time to get the leather seat done. I might go with heavy burlap, has anyone ever tried that for a seat throw?
donetracey
Posted 2010-06-03 3:27 PM (#61417 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
So, with the weather being as you say, at least you won't have to COOK anything you SHOOT before you eat it. Just strap it on top of your trunk until the next gas stop. Money saver ....
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™