You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

For all you who love to speed! Come to Virginia after 1 July, we need the revenue please!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2010-05-07 9:35 AM (#59294)
Subject: For all you who love to speed! Come to Virginia after 1 July, we need the revenue please!

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
NEW VIRGINIA SPEEDING FINES EFFECTIVE 1 JULY 2010

New VA tax law goes into affect 1 July 2010. Might want to pass this info around to your friends and families. Cost can accumulate rather swiftly. It only applies to Virginia Residents.

Good information for everyone. Please pass along. In short, 10-15 mph over the posted speed limit is now $3,500 (after a new points tax that was introduced) in the state of Virginia. Here is the link http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp

Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket Virginia legislator introduces new speeding ticket tax that boosts penalties beyond $3550, driving business to his traffic law firm.

Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1. Led by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield), lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D) in April. Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon, LLP traffic law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in business as motorists seek to protect their wallet from traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to $3000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain.

Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate highway now brings six license demerit points, a fine of up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory $1050 tax. The law also imposes an additional annual fee of up to $100 if a prior conviction leaves the motorist with a balance of eight demerit points, plus $75 for each additional point (up to $700 a year). The conviction in this example remains on the record for five years.

Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper signal,"
"passing a school bus" or "driving with an obstructed view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the conviction remains on the record for eleven years.

Although the amount of the tax can add up quickly, the law forbids judges from reducing or suspending it in any way. The tax applies only to Virginia residents, so that out-of-state motorists only need to pay the regular ticket amount. Michigan, New Jersey, New York and Texas also impose a somewhat more modest driver responsibility tax http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/03/362.asp
which they apply to out-of-state residents.

The Virginia Supreme Court provides a full explanation of the new penalties for each traffic infraction in the 34k PDF file at the source link below.
Update: View which legislators support a repeal, link to online petition http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1880.asp
Source: PDF FileCivil Remedial Fees
http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-drivertax.pdf
(Executive Secretary, Virginia Supreme Court, 6/21/2007)

Edited by varyder 2010-05-07 9:38 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rwilly
Posted 2010-05-07 9:51 AM (#59295 - in reply to #59294)
Subject: Re: For all you who love to speed! Come to Virginia after 1 July, we need the revenue please!

Tourer

seattle, wa
Good thing it only applies to Va residents.
Six points for going 15 mph over. How many points are you allowed before your license is revoked?
I'm all for obeying posted speed limits, but some of those laws seem a little over the top.
phoenix9
Posted 2010-05-07 9:54 AM (#59296 - in reply to #59294)
Subject: Re: For all you who love to speed! Come to Virginia after 1 July, we need the revenue please!

Cruiser

Litchfield Park, AZ
This cannot be serious! Even Illinois, which is about the most corrupt state in America could not find a better way to line the pockets of political connections. How does this pass? How is there not a revolt by the people? I certainly hope the voting public votes everyone responsible for this law out of office in the upcoming elections.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-07 10:08 AM (#59299 - in reply to #59294)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
How do you revolt against a fine for breaking the law? In other words they have told me what I can get away with, if I do what I'm not suppose to do, then I'm imposed the ridiculiously high penaltly. I say, thanks for the warning.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-07 10:12 AM (#59301 - in reply to #59295)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
rwilly - 2010-05-07 10:51 AM

Good thing it only applies to Va residents.
Six points for going 15 mph over. How many points are you allowed before your license is revoked?
I'm all for obeying posted speed limits, but some of those laws seem a little over the top.

It used to be 12, don't ask me how I know. But I think that information would be found at DMVNOW.com.

Personally, I see that as my STUPIDITY FINE if I do such a thing. By the way, I've paid more over the years in jacked up insurance premiums. One day I figured out if I keep my foot off the floor when I drove my insurance rate would go down. I can use the money I save to buy other things.
Lotzafun
Posted 2010-05-07 11:26 AM (#59307 - in reply to #59294)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
Doesn't Virginia also forbid the use of radar detection in personal vehicles? Even on out of state vehicles?
Mudge
Posted 2010-05-07 11:44 AM (#59310 - in reply to #59294)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
I suppose they get around the "Equal Protection" clause by making it "administrative". These are the kinds of things that should have angry crowds with torches and pitchforks (And ropes...) storming the capitol building. There was a time when it wouild have, remember the "Whiskey Rebellion" ? I guess most people are just too comfortable now to inconvenience themselves, and too used to the yoke of government to ever think of challenging it.

Edited by Mudge 2010-05-07 11:49 AM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-07 11:46 AM (#59311 - in reply to #59307)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Lotzafun - 2010-05-07 11:26 AM

Doesn't Virginia also forbid the use of radar detection in personal vehicles? Even on out of state vehicles?

yes they do! they will fine u for using one. as soon as u enter the state there is a sign telling u about it.. plus when i ride through VA (only 60 miles) in that short distance there are cops everywhere! places u wouldnt expect them...
chesshiretuna
Posted 2010-05-07 1:45 PM (#59318 - in reply to #59294)

Tourer

This is a 3 year old article. Did this get repealed???
varyder
Posted 2010-05-07 2:31 PM (#59322 - in reply to #59294)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'll have to do some homework, but this came via "official" channels as is dated for year. However, my first thought was "the finally did it" as the sorta thing has been around the block in the commonwealth in the past. Sorry if it is a hoax or anything like that.
XRsteve
Posted 2010-05-07 2:43 PM (#59324 - in reply to #59294)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
That is some real shit !!! Guess I'll have to laugh like hell every time I transit Va airspace, last night I flew into Richmond and 80 miles out I was going .80 mach ( around 575 mph ) I was driving a B-717 though. Guess 5 over on the motorcycle will be rule of the day.........
chesshiretuna
Posted 2010-05-07 2:54 PM (#59325 - in reply to #59294)

Tourer

Just saw another post that said REPEALED in 2008
af goalie
Posted 2010-05-07 3:26 PM (#59326 - in reply to #59294)

Cruiser

Rapid City, SD
With fines that large you'll probably have more people trying to run from the law. Also seems like a HUGE conflict of interest with the lawmaker and his side law office.
sgiacci
Posted 2010-05-08 11:06 AM (#59379 - in reply to #59294)

Tourer

It was repealed:

http://repealvafees.wordpress.com/

XRsteve
Posted 2010-05-08 11:44 AM (#59382 - in reply to #59294)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
That's good news for everyone.............
varyder
Posted 2010-05-08 1:02 PM (#59386 - in reply to #59294)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Certainly, I apologize for passing on this information. Again, I think the "boss" who sent it out took it as this year since someone took the liberty to mislead with the date in the subject of the email However, the following links are outdated. The sad part is that was at one time real, and many folks got slapped with the fines, but I don't know what was their fate was after it was repealed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™