You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Installing Fuzeblock - any suggestions for best switched power to use?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

flint350
Posted 2010-05-26 9:55 AM (#60794)
Subject: Installing Fuzeblock - any suggestions for best switched power to use?

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md

With several powered accessories on board, I decided to install a Fuzeblock on my '08 Vision for a cleaner and safer switched power supply.  For those unfamiliar with it, the fuzeblock is a secondary fuse block that includes a built-in relay for switched power for up to 6 accessories.  Currently, I have wired all accessories like the Zumo 665, radar detector and Mix-It2 directly and grounded them in various places.  I like the idea of a dedicated fuse block and cleaner wiring.

The fuzeblock needs a good switched line to get its power and that is my question.  I have the Service Manual and am looking through it, but thought that someone here may have a good suggestion for a switched line on the '08 Vision.  I am considering the harness for the CB, especially since I don't really use it.  Or, possibly the harness (now unused) for the old Street Pilot GPS which I unplugged since the new Zumo can't use it.  I'm not overly confident with wiring, but if the best line is pointed out, I'm sure I could tap into it (if I can find it and be sure of its identity).  Any suggestions are appreciated.  I'll be glad to post pics if I I able to do this.  I already have the Fuzeblock in hand and the wires and necessary fuses.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
KansasGuardsman
Posted 2010-05-26 8:59 PM (#60858 - in reply to #60794)
Subject: Re: Installing Fuzeblock - any suggestions for best switched power to use?

Cruiser

Wichita, Kansas
Under the console you will find a grey two pin plug made for the optional console powerlet. Upper right corner of the wiring diagram. This connects to the 20A fuse line off the "horn" relay, which is really the accessory switched line which happens to have the horn on it.

See my write up in tech about the horn wiring if you really care about that stuff.
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-05-27 2:32 AM (#60875 - in reply to #60858)
Subject: Re: Installing Fuzeblock - any suggestions for best switched power to use?

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
KansasGuardsman - 2010-05-26 8:59 PM

Under the console you will find a grey two pin plug made for the optional console powerlet. Upper right corner of the wiring diagram. This connects to the 20A fuse line off the "horn" relay, which is really the accessory switched line which happens to have the horn on it.

See my write up in tech about the horn wiring if you really care about that stuff.

+1 - This one is the easiest to locate and identify.
flint350
Posted 2010-05-27 10:29 AM (#60887 - in reply to #60794)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
Thanks, I'll look at that, but I already have the optional powerlet installed in the console, so the pin is probably in use. I don't often (if at all) use the powerlet in the glove box, so maybe disconnecting it and using that plug will work. Thanks for the suggestion.
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-05-27 7:50 PM (#60921 - in reply to #60794)
Subject: RE: Installing Fuzeblock - any suggestions for best switched power to use?

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
flint350 - 2010-05-26 9:55 AM

With several powered accessories on board, I decided to install a Fuzeblock on my '08 Vision for a cleaner and safer switched power supply.? For those unfamiliar with it, the fuzeblock is a secondary fuse block that includes a built-in relay for switched power for up to 6 accessories.? Currently, I have wired all accessories like the Zumo 665, radar detector and Mix-It2 directly and grounded them in various places.? I like the idea of a dedicated fuse block and cleaner wiring.

The fuzeblock needs a good switched line to get its power and that is my question.? I have the Service Manual and am looking through it, but thought that someone here may have a good suggestion for a switched line on the '08 Vision.? I am considering the harness for the CB, especially since I don't really use it.? Or, possibly the harness (now unused) for the old Street Pilot GPS which I unplugged since the new Zumo can't use it.? I'm not overly confident with wiring, but if the best line is pointed out, I'm sure I could tap into it (if I can find it and be sure of its identity).? Any suggestions are appreciated.? I'll be glad to post pics if I I able to do this.? I already have the Fuzeblock in hand and the wires and necessary fuses.

Ray, you should have no problem just adding a "T" splice to the wire you are referring to without disconnecting it from the plug. The relay circuit, which is what you will be splicing to that wire only draws a few milliamps when in use. This will not effect those plugs in the least.

I am providing the following information because of the way you opened your statement in the second paragraph. You actually need two sources of 12+, one that is switched to turn the Fuzeblock on and the other to supply the current the accessories connected to the Fuzeblock will use. The "good switched line" you referred to will only be operating the relay in the fuzeblock. The main current supply wire you will run from the Fuzeblock directly down to the positive battery terminal. The maximum the Fuzeblock can handle is 30 amps total. You need to use a 12ga wire to make that connection to the battery and you must put a 30 amp inline fuse between the battery and the fuzeblock to safeguard the circuits. See the diagram on this web page:

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=2#board

You may already understand all these things but based on your closing comments you seemed a little tentative. Last thing I want to read is that you had a melt-down on the bike. I've used the Fuzeblocks auxiliary panels and they are great, takes all the worry out of how much you are drawing from existing circuits on the bike.

BTW one good spot I've found for locating the panel would be behind the left saddlebag door next to the suspension air valve. There is a flat filler panel that would allow for easy mounting and better yet you could access the fuses by just opening the left door. Good luck with your install and let us know how it goes. (pics would be good).
flint350
Posted 2010-05-27 10:34 PM (#60937 - in reply to #60794)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
I have read the fuzeblock instructions and do have the 12ga wires and inline fuse on hand. I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression after reading more that you only needed the 12V+ direct-to-battery line if you want to use the unswitched side of the block as well as the line for switched. My plan is switched devices only so I was not going to wire to the battery, even though I bought the wiring and in-line 30A fuse. It sounds like you are saying I still need both types of 12V+ to make the fuzeblock work. Is that right?

I like your suggested location in the left bag. I was looking at a place under the seat or under the front panel in the center below the windshield - (where I removed the FM antenna and put a powered one back in the right saddlebag area). I'm going to be doing this project pretty soon, since I just got back from a trip and am willing to shut down a few days in the garage so I can take my time and photos. I will be re-wiring my Zumo 665, Mix It 2, and radar detector, so I have to disconnect everything from the way it's wired to the Vision fuse boxes and grounds and then re-wire. It might take a while, but should be worth it in the long run. Thanks again for the help.
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-05-27 11:56 PM (#60939 - in reply to #60921)
Subject: RE: Installing Fuzeblock - any suggestions for best switched power to use?

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
hoosiervic - 2010-05-27 6:50 PM

Ray, you should have no problem just adding a "T" splice to the wire you are referring to without disconnecting it from the plug. The relay circuit, which is what you will be splicing to that wire only draws a few milliamps when in use. This will not effect those plugs in the least.

+1
Additionally, I would consider a posi-tap brand tap if you do not want to cut, splice and solder.
http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html
These things are good, clean timesavers and do not comprimise the wiring nearly as much as the old splice crimp terminals do. The only down side is that they tend to get bulky if you are tapping multiple wires in the same vacinity in a bundle. I ran into this when I installed my trailer hitch relay module and had to make 5 taps close together, although it works just fine. If you do decide to cut, splice and solder: I recommend wrapping the solder joint with Scotch 130 rubber tape and then hitting it with a quick wrap of good old +33 electrical. This is a proven routine I use for connections exposed to weather and sea water spray offshore. It will definitely hold up to normal weeather exposure on land. I started doing this to all the connections under the frame and body work (LED lights, trailer harness/relay module, etc) becuase heat shrink sealing of a T splice is a pain in the butt (much harder than heat shrinking a butt splice.
Hope this helps,
-Will
Bluto
Posted 2010-05-28 7:32 AM (#60950 - in reply to #60937)

Cruiser

McHenry, IL
flint350 - 2010-05-27 10:34 PM

I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression after reading more that you only needed the 12V+ direct-to-battery line if you want to use the unswitched side of the block as well as the line for switched. My plan is switched devices only so I was not going to wire to the battery, even though I bought the wiring and in-line 30A fuse. It sounds like you are saying I still need both types of 12V+ to make the fuzeblock work. Is that right?

Reading the install instructions, you are both correct! LOL! It depends on where the fuse is installed. For each branch circuit, there are 2 positions available for the fuse. One position is switched, the other is constant. In either case, the current is supplied from the same wire that is to be connected to the positive of the battery with a 30A inline fuse.
flint350
Posted 2010-08-16 9:27 AM (#67236 - in reply to #60794)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md

I finally got around to completing this install and thought I would post some photos of the work.

I picked a rainy day with less heat and, along with my supervising Golden Retriever, set up the work area.

I had 3 devices to power.  Previously, I had simply connected them to various relays in the two fuse boxes under the front access panel.  I wanted to get them powered and grounded separately, so I chose to use a Fuzeblock.  Here are the three devices as mounted on the bike.

I ran two new lines from the battery for ground and a power line with inline fuse.  Using thermal fiberglass braided hose, I routed the new lines up the frame and under the console to a point near the powerlet plug that I would use for additional switched power.

This is a shot with the console on its side, exposing the wiring underneath.  The gray plug is the connected powerlet in the console and the blue plastic piece is a positap that I used to tap into the line for switched power for the fuzeblock.

This is just a closer view of the tap into the switched power line.

This view shows the two hoses containing the new lines.  The braided hose has the 3 power/ground wires, while the split plastic hose has the 3 bundled wire pairs of the 3 devices.  I simply routed the wire pairs of the devices to a central point at the base of the console and put them together in the plastic hose to route as a single unit under the seat and to the point of entry in the right saddelbag mini compartment.

This shows where the 2 hoses enter the small compartment at the front of the right saddelbag.  I drilled a small hole in the compartment for access.

Looking into the saddelbag/compartment from the outside, this is where the wires enter and are connected to the Fuzeblock.

The wire routing under the seat is finished and secured and the entrance is taped over.

The final connections are made to the fuzeblock for testing before sealing everything up.

With everything connected, I tested all 3 devices successfully.  All are switched power and turn on/off with the key.

There are 3 additional inputs available (6 total) and a choice of switched or constant power.  A test ride, including some good bumps, proved successful also and no indications of any issues so far.  Thanks to all those who made suggestions and sorry for the length, but I wanted to document this.  I'm not much of a mechanic or electrician and still managed not to blow up the bike's electrical system or break anything (that I'm aware of).  

SongFan
Posted 2010-08-16 11:49 AM (#67243 - in reply to #60794)

Visionary

Memphis

Wow Ray, cool job. 

The only thing that you might want to address is where the black and red wires enter the saddlebag compartment.  You might want to rig some kind of protection (grommet) where they come through that hole (2nd to last photo).  There might even be room in the split conduit you already have there.  With all the vibration of the bike, it won't take long for those wires to chafe on that hard plastic.  Really nice job with expandability built in.  How many hours did all that take?

Edited by SongFan 2010-08-16 11:51 AM
flint350
Posted 2010-08-16 2:23 PM (#67250 - in reply to #60794)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
Thanks Michael. I do plan on better protecting those wires, just hadn't done it yet. As for time involved, it's hard to say. I did it over 2 days with stops and starts for other things and need of a couple of unanticipated parts. Considering my limited skills, I probably took longer than really necessary, but I'd say about 5 hours or so.
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-08-16 3:25 PM (#67258 - in reply to #60794)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN

Great job Ray! And thanks for the follow up. I have a fuzeblock laying on my desk as I type this and plan on adding a couple gatdgets in the near future. Great pics as well. They explain much in addition to your written details. This kind of stuff is the best part of this forum, except of course the "motivational posters"

Chris

flint350
Posted 2010-08-16 3:50 PM (#67265 - in reply to #60794)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
Thanks Chris - word of warning: One thing I found out was that the mini-ATM fuses for the block are a VERY tight fit. I actually bent the first pair of pins just trying to get the fuse in place. Scary. I eventually got them to go in, but it was a struggle with a constant fear of bending something and ruining the block.

One other thing not shown in my photos is that I mounted the block with the extra plastic backing plate attached. I used sand paper to rough the surface and then attached velcro. So, the block sits securely in place in the compartment. Originally I was going to put it on the other side as you had suggested, but the diagnostic pin took up too much room. It fits very nicely in the right side though with some breathing room. Thanks for all your earlier suggestions.
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-08-16 8:55 PM (#67281 - in reply to #67265)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN

flint350 - 2010-08-16 4:50 PM Thanks Chris - word of warning: One thing I found out was that the mini-ATM fuses for the block are a VERY tight fit. I actually bent the first pair of pins just trying to get the fuse in place. Scary. I eventually got them to go in, but it was a struggle with a constant fear of bending something and ruining the block. One other thing not shown in my photos is that I mounted the block with the extra plastic backing plate attached. I used sand paper to rough the surface and then attached velcro. So, the block sits securely in place in the compartment. Originally I was going to put it on the other side as you had suggested, but the diagnostic pin took up too much room. It fits very nicely in the right side though with some breathing room. Thanks for all your earlier suggestions.

One more suggestion regarding the tight fitting fuses. Next time you are in an auto parts store ask for some dielectric grease. This used on the pins will serve two purposes.  1. It will make assembly easier, for these and all electrical push or twist connections, 2. It helps seal out moisture and prevents corrosion and arcing.

Thanks again for the report, well done. Ride safe and enjoy!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™