You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Memorial Day
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

SongFan
Posted 2010-05-29 10:57 AM (#61004)
Subject: Memorial Day

Visionary

Memphis

Photobucket

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things.  The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.  The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of men better than himself."  - John Stuart Mill

My Dad's name is on The Wall.  To all the Vision Rider friends and families touched by war, it has not been in vain.  We will never forget.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Teach
Posted 2010-05-29 11:34 AM (#61007 - in reply to #61004)
Subject: Re: Memorial Day

Visionary

Nice post SongFan.........
DesertJim
Posted 2010-05-29 11:41 AM (#61008 - in reply to #61004)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
We will never forget --- Thanks for the post SF!
CowboyVision
Posted 2010-05-29 12:33 PM (#61010 - in reply to #61004)

Cruiser

Meadow, Texas
Agreed, we will never forget. Thanks.
Kioti
Posted 2010-05-29 12:53 PM (#61012 - in reply to #61004)

Cruiser

Lennox, SD
Agreed! We MUST never forget!!!

varyder
Posted 2010-05-29 2:38 PM (#61024 - in reply to #61004)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Tom, thank you! I finally went to the wall with my Dad last year who served in the Korean conflict. The wall is sacred ground, not for the marble and the concrete, but what it represents. I don't come from a military family, but one, which out of a sense of duty was not afraid to serve. While at the Korean memorial and seeing the statues of men with anguished faces brought back those days in his mind. He confirmed that it was a great depiction of those days and recounted those that did not make it back.

I just came from the Virginia Historical Society Musuem where there is a displayed dedicated to my second cousin, Francis Gary Powers who was the U-2 pilot shot down over Russia 50 years ago. There is also a WWII section also that I took the time to go through. The thing that strikes me is that there is a large part of America that will not use this weekend to remember as the young lady is doing in your poster, but will choose to serve themselves. The musuem was empty, except for a very few folks, which made me beg the question why? Grant it there will be towns across American taking part in a special moment, but overall that interest is fading. I enjoy my freedom deeply and will fight for you to enjoy yours as well, I will say to the reader.

So before you take the time to grill a hamburger, or run off to the beach, take the time to visit a memorial or musuem in your town to read and see the pictures of men and women who fought and died for you to live in this great nation. I salute my friends who will ride in Rolling Thunder tomorrow and feel honored that a great Virginian will lead the pack and speak, Hon. Randy Forbes. I will not be able to ride tomorrow but I will take my ride through Culpeper, Va Monday to visit the Veterans Cemetary in honor of my Uncle who served and survived but has since passed on and buried there.

With the death toll of Afghanistan and Iraq in the thousands we walk amoung many family members today like that young lady above, so be conscience and aware of those people and give them a word of encouragement that their loved one did not die in vain. And if someone here falls into those categories, I say thank you, they did not die in vain, and I will give my life to prove it.

Ride safe, be safe, and thank you to those who know of someone who gave it all.

Edited by varyder 2010-05-29 3:00 PM
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-05-29 10:40 PM (#61062 - in reply to #61024)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
Thoughtful and touching words Chris, and my thanks to Songfan for the tribute reminder.

If you are interested in the story of the lady in the cemetery go to this web page and read the story. Warning: you will need tissues.

http://sexualityinart.wordpress.com/2007/11/20/katherine-cathey-and...

It is true that so much of our country, the people in it, consider themselves Americans, and wouldn't lift a finger to protect someone near them, let alone give there lives in selfless dedication for the safety of total strangers or to preserve our nation.

But if you will just stop and take time to find out who in your community is currently serving in our military branches, you will discover that there is still a very small minority of dedicated young people that set their lives aside for a while and risk all to stand between us at home and those who would kill us all if given the chance.

Probably 95% of the military personnel that actually face off with our worst enemies have yet to see their 30th birthday, and 75% can't even enjoy a legal drink yet. These young fighters, Patriots, are taught to run into the fire fight, to outsmart, outshoot and destroy our enemies so that they can't harm our free people at home. God Bless these American Hero's!

I don't know that much about the other branches, but I bet most of us don't know that when a Marine Reserve unit is sent into a war zone, that each one has volunteered for deployment. The Reservists I personally know would never allow there company to deploy without them. And there worst fear is getting wounded and having to leave their brothers to fight without them there to help.

These young heros learned in school as children what our founding fathers and their supporting families had to do in order to provide us with a free land to live in, and those since that have fought to keep it that way to this day. They know full well that hundreds of thousands have died for this country. Nobody today tells high school kids to join the military so they can go out and fight our enemies. They make that decision by themselves, often before they have even graduated. And if you ask them, most would say they feel they need to do something good for our country. They feel compelled from within. These are our Heroes. These are the true Americans.

God Bless our fearless, selfless Heroes! Where in the world would we be without them?

God Bless the families left behind. They live the remainder of their lives with a giant hole that will never again be filled.
Prostreet1
Posted 2010-05-30 6:26 AM (#61070 - in reply to #61062)

Cruiser

Allen Park, MI
hoosiervic - 2010-05-29 11:40 PM

Thoughtful and touching words Chris, and my thanks to Songfan for the tribute reminder.

If you are interested in the story of the lady in the cemetery go to this web page and read the story. Warning: you will need tissues.

http://sexualityinart.wordpress.com/2007/11/20/katherine-cathey-and...

It is true that so much of our country, the people in it, consider themselves Americans, and wouldn't lift a finger to protect someone near them, let alone give there lives in selfless dedication for the safety of total strangers or to preserve our nation.

But if you will just stop and take time to find out who in your community is currently serving in our military branches, you will discover that there is still a very small minority of dedicated young people that set their lives aside for a while and risk all to stand between us at home and those who would kill us all if given the chance.

Probably 95% of the military personnel that actually face off with our worst enemies have yet to see their 30th birthday, and 75% can't even enjoy a legal drink yet. These young fighters, Patriots, are taught to run into the fire fight, to outsmart, outshoot and destroy our enemies so that they can't harm our free people at home. God Bless these American Hero's!

I don't know that much about the other branches, but I bet most of us don't know that when a Marine Reserve unit is sent into a war zone, that each one has volunteered for deployment. The Reservists I personally know would never allow there company to deploy without them. And there worst fear is getting wounded and having to leave their brothers to fight without them there to help.

These young heros learned in school as children what our founding fathers and their supporting families had to do in order to provide us with a free land to live in, and those since that have fought to keep it that way to this day. They know full well that hundreds of thousands have died for this country. Nobody today tells high school kids to join the military so they can go out and fight our enemies. They make that decision by themselves, often before they have even graduated. And if you ask them, most would say they feel they need to do something good for our country. They feel compelled from within. These are our Heroes. These are the true Americans.

God Bless our fearless, selfless Heroes! Where in the world would we be without them?

God Bless the families left behind. They live the remainder of their lives with a giant hole that will never again be filled.

Well said Chris....May we never forget the sacrifices that our men and women have given in order for our country to enjoy the freedoms and liberties that we have.

Coop
Army Vet
wrr1home
Posted 2010-05-30 7:26 AM (#61077 - in reply to #61004)

Cruiser

Well said all...!

Thank you to our Veterans and current service men & women
badnvegas
Posted 2010-05-30 9:40 AM (#61082 - in reply to #61004)

Cruiser

Colorado
Ashley Moyer, March 3 2007...
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-05-30 10:36 AM (#61087 - in reply to #61082)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
badnvegas - 2010-05-30 9:40 AM

Ashley Moyer, March 3 2007...

God bless our Hero Ashley with a special place by His side.

Her story linked below:
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/almoyer.htm

OldGringo
Posted 2010-05-30 7:07 PM (#61119 - in reply to #61004)

Cruiser

Republic of Tejas
This afternoon I stood the flagline with my PGR brothers and sisters to honor Pvt. Jeremy Dudley of Houston Texas. RIP soldier.
exharleyrider
Posted 2010-05-31 9:36 PM (#61244 - in reply to #61004)

Cruiser

Were in washington yesterday. Many years in a row. The female unit hadn't been on a bike for almost 9 months because of serious health conditions including back injuries and becoming legally blind. she has limited sight in one eye only. didnt stop her from riding on the back all the way down sat. and all the way back yesterday. She is from a marine corps family-her dad and now two kids. one just back from afghanistan and one heading out to who knows where into who knows what. She doesn't forget for a mnute. She endured a lot of pain on the 3 hour ride yesterday including holding herself up on her hands to take the pressure off her back. no sight since she has to wear dark glasses and we didn't get back until midnight. She doesnt forget-not for a minute. They also serve who stand and wait.

varyder
Posted 2010-05-31 10:48 PM (#61252 - in reply to #61004)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
You've got a very special lady xhr!
scotsvision
Posted 2010-06-01 1:09 AM (#61254 - in reply to #61252)

Puddle Jumper

Coos Bay, Oregon
Thank you all for remembering the servicemen and women that that have served this country, Past and Present, some with the ultimate sacrifice to maintain our freedom.

Ride Safe
salty
Posted 2010-06-01 9:50 AM (#61261 - in reply to #61004)

Cruiser

Cold lake Alberta
Songfan, Chris and all..great thoughts, words and sentiments!

To all our Veterans past , present and future...the free world thanks you and yur families for all your Sacrifices.......

We will Remember!

Salty
CDN Veteran

VETERANS UN NATO CANADA

Edited by salty 2010-06-01 9:50 AM
WyoHammer
Posted 2010-06-01 11:32 AM (#61269 - in reply to #61004)

Puddle Jumper

Cheyenne, Wyoming
If you can read thank a teacher.

If you can read or write it in English, and express your opinion freely
Thank and Stand up for our Veterans and their families.

The Tree of freedom has to be nourished from time to time with the blood of tyrants and Heroes.

My Heroes have always been our service men and women & Vets.

MY Family has had the privilege of having a member of every generation from John Paul Jones day serving in our Navy. We call it a tradition, it's become a way of life. Our daughters belong to DAR and some to the USN.

I remember and revere my ancestors, but love and respect my children, nieces and nephews for living and carrying on the Tradition.

God Bless the USA
exharleyrider
Posted 2010-06-01 4:51 PM (#61280 - in reply to #61004)

Cruiser

thanks varyder. she keeps telling me she's too good for me but i dont believe her so she hangs in there. every year she goes and stands at 22nd and constitution and cheers on "the Marine". Shes a special ed teacher and a lot of her kids get deployed. Quite a lady. Tons of respect for her.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™