You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Pumpin' Nickel 25 - 27 June I-40 W VA to CA
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2010-06-03 6:58 PM (#61430)
Subject: Pumpin' Nickel 25 - 27 June I-40 W VA to CA

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
can't be pumpin iron since it is cast aluminum engine with nickel plate cylinders, so I guess it's pumpin' nickel.

I'll be leaving the wee AM hours on 25 June from Petersburg VA to I-40 via RT58 via I-81 since the mountain pass is closed in NC. I plan on doing a minimum of 1,000+ days and hit Barstow mid-afternoon on Sunday. If anyone wants to ride along, once I get my scheduled figured I'll share it within a 2 hour variance along the way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2010-06-05 12:08 PM (#61542 - in reply to #61430)
Subject: Re: Pumpin' Nickel 25 - 27 June I-40 W VA to CA

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Hey bikers, given that I've only got 2 1/2 days, is there a route other than I-40, and not another interstate, that I could do this on in the same time frame easily? I've got no problem putting in 1,000+ days, I just hate riding the superslab and I might take another day off just so I can go the 'back' way. Input and ideas appreciated...
SongFan
Posted 2010-06-05 12:35 PM (#61544 - in reply to #61430)
Subject: RE: Pumpin' Nickel 25 - 27 June I-40 W VA to CA

Visionary

Memphis

Varyder,

Go to Google maps and break it down into sections.  It will default to put you on I-40 but click the "Avoid Highways" box, "Get Directions" and look at your options.  Prince George to Memphis is 859 miles/14 hours on I-40.  Click the box and look at US 460 W and KY 80 W - it shows 852 miles and 18 hours.  Go point to point across the country and see what might work for you.

varyder
Posted 2010-06-05 12:40 PM (#61545 - in reply to #61430)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
yeah, I was checking that out already, but it puts me at almost a day longer, so I was looking for the secret that google couldn't tell me. I think I'll go with a new tire and I-40 when all said and done, argh. I was hoping I'd have about two weeks vacation at this point, then I could take more time off to do it.
VisionTex
Posted 2010-06-05 1:02 PM (#61550 - in reply to #61545)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Chris, you might want to take the extra day coming back. Run I-15 up to I-70 then to I-64 on into VA. Maybe a little cooler and something different to look at on the way back. Some of the US routes west of the Mississippi are four lane with speed limits of 65+. But with ~2500 miles in 2.5 days, I think your going to have to stay on the "I". Good luck on the ride.
varyder
Posted 2010-06-05 2:10 PM (#61552 - in reply to #61430)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Okay, am I over reaching here? I know me, and physically I don't have not doubt, but I've read over on theVMC that I-40 to Barstow is bad, don't kow that means, but if I'm not staying a steady 60+ mph I'll be down, Maybe I'll need to take thursday, but I know me, I'll be there on Saturday. I like being on the line like Fogg in Around the World in Eighty Days, always seems to work for me, never late, never early.
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-06-05 6:33 PM (#61563 - in reply to #61430)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
I am always taken aback when I transition from the I15 to I40 headed east in Barstow. Its hard to imagine two pieces of the same highway system being so different. I-40 is an aging narrow divided highway. As the major east west truck route it carries a lot vehicles that are significantly heavier than those for which the road was probably designed as a result the surface can be poor. The lanes are narrow.

Traffic can move significantly slower than it does on the I15 as well. Trucks often spend what seems like miles driving side by side attempting to pass slower vehicles on grades.

Heres an interesting article from The AZ Republic about recent dust storms on I-40.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/03/20100603arizona-d...
lennyb
Posted 2010-06-06 5:50 AM (#61571 - in reply to #61430)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
The dust article makes it sound like adding a pair of goggles to the riding gear would be a wise idea.

I would have to plan on the extra day just to take in some of the scenery and at least smell the coffee before you suck it down. Besides I remember sitting in some huge backups on the east/west highways and the 'stimulus' money is only going to make that worse.

Just got my leave request approved to take 4 weeks in Aug/Sep for a trip across the north to Glacier then Yellowstone, Rky Mts, down to watch the shuttle launch, up the Blue Ridge Pkwy, then back to the office. Thinking the 4 wks is a lot of time (the boss thinks so), but for me I want to see it rather than just ride through it (goes with my signature below).
varyder
Posted 2010-06-06 6:37 AM (#61572 - in reply to #61430)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks lennyb. I wear wileyX which to their own rights are a google, prescription, and autotint. I also wear a face bandana to keep from breathin' in or eating dirt that I often encounter anytime I ride.

Here's where I'd say to most folks, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." I may have only been riding again for 5 years, but in those 5 years I've racked up over 100,000 on two bikes. I get offended (not really) when folks calls my bike a TOY. A toy is something you take and play with it everyonce and a while. I can call the bike a form of transportation, but it goes way deeper than that. Would I rather be riding in my jeep or out riding my bike? By the way, I just sold my "toy" a jeep wrangler after only six months of ownership. It was an older model, but all it was doing was sitting. I rather someone be playing with it than sitting, so it had to go.

So on this trip, would I rather be flying at 30,000 ft with a bunch of smelly, coughin', crying people and hanging around shuffle luggage, or would I rather have my knees in the breeze, alone, pumping out life at 70 miles an hour? Too me that is stopping and smelling the coffee. I enjoy watching the sun come up and go down, and come up again in the saddle, while those smelly, coughin', crying people are waiting for their bags at the airport.

My problem I have is that when I get around the bend, I want to see what is around the next bend without stopping. Just me...

I love the sound of your ride in Aug/Sep and hope one day I can get the wife to take some time and we both going around toolin' on the bike, taking our time. She is the only thing that would keep me from doing more than 200 miles in a day and not be itching to do more.

Ride safe!
RedRider
Posted 2010-06-07 5:56 AM (#61649 - in reply to #61430)

Visionary

I have rode some of the "backroads" in the midwest and I don't see a way to make good time like you are talking. Just too many reasons to slow down to be on the cautious side. ex. intersection sign and you can't see the intersection because of the hill. farm tractor ahead. and more.
1000 miles a day in 17 hours is an average of 59 mph. Last year when I did that from RI to west IL I had only 2 hours for fueling. When you get west of Chicago you can make better time because of less traffic but still. 3 days of back to back 1000 miles a day will get to you I know. Hopefully you are younger than me and it should be a little easier.
Have a safe trip but it will be well worth it.
varyder
Posted 2010-06-07 7:32 AM (#61651 - in reply to #61430)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Common sense calls this an obsurity, however, I don't have any common sense. I've jump up over the 50 mark by a year but don't find that a deterent. I'm looking to add an additional day, and I realize I'll have 3 1/2 days coming back, so that is a relief. I find riding a mental endurance more than physical on the Vision. I've not any problem sitting in the saddle for the 3 to 4 hours between fuel ups even after riding all day. I may stop a little earlier as the day wears on, but not by much. I also catch myself before I start zoning and stop immediately to freshen up and decide if I can continue. I have no problem saying enuf is enuf and stop. In looking over the time-line and miles, I've got 60 hours to do 42 hours of riding at 60mph avg.
varyder
Posted 2010-06-07 12:08 PM (#61667 - in reply to #61430)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'll start my blog over on Victory-Riders site and do a countdown to the ride. This ride will be one of endurance, but one that in my book is not extreme. I need to be in better physical shape than I am and lose a few lbs, which I started today. I took a walk around about 3/4 mile loop, rather hilly, and sadly I'm feeling the pain. I'll be out walking again tonight and in the mornings until takeoff. That alone helps with the mental challenge and something I have done prior to my rides. This is actually one ride I've been looking forward to for a while and feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas. I just wish had the time to ride from ocean to ocean. Anyone know what the exchange rate is for the peso in Arizona?

Edited by varyder 2010-06-07 12:08 PM
mkultra
Posted 2010-06-07 1:35 PM (#61672 - in reply to #61430)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
We dont allow no peso's in Arizona...at least not without proper documentation that is....lol

mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™