You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Riding the Vision in the Midwest this summer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

dwhite28
Posted 2010-06-17 6:10 PM (#62496)
Subject: Riding the Vision in the Midwest this summer

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States

Thought i would reach out and let a few people know that during my summer of work i am traveling most of the midwest.

I have been in KS, TX and Ok so far over the last three months. I currently am in Emporia KS. I work 21 days on and 7 off. My 7 days off is spent riding the Vision where ever i can. I will be leaving KS on the morning of the 23rd of June and headed to Houston, San Antonio and Austin before returning back to Emporia around the 29th. I will also be working Gallup, NM and plan on visiting Phoneix on my time off. Aug and Sept will have trip to Chicago and the Grand Canyon on my agenda as well and back in the DFW area in Oct. Anyone wanting to meet up or offer suggestions of places to ride or see, just drop me a line at dwhite28@hotmail.com and i will gladly pass on my cell number and we can work from there and see if we can meet up if so desired. I only have 30K on the Vision after 22 months. I plan on correcting this problem by adding at least another 10K by Nov.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
elvis441
Posted 2010-06-17 6:42 PM (#62498 - in reply to #62496)
Subject: Re: Riding the Vision in the Midwest this summer

Cruiser

Houston, TX
Sounds awesome! Ride safe.
varyder
Posted 2010-06-17 8:24 PM (#62507 - in reply to #62496)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
David, dude, I've wonderef where you've been. I'm riding to Cali in a week but it don't sound like we'll cross paths.
WillieByte
Posted 2010-06-17 8:26 PM (#62509 - in reply to #62496)
Subject: RE: Riding the Vision in the Midwest this summer

Cruiser

Plainfield Illinois

As has been stated here before, people unfamiliar with the Metropolitan area around Chicago should avoid it like the plague during rush hours.  This goes double for motorcycles.  I commute 94 miles round trip through both rush hours daily and on average I see MAYBE ONE poor soul on the expressways on a bike each way each day.  Chicago ALWAYS BLOWS for traffic, people here cut in and out of traffic, tailgate, and talk on their cell phones all at the same time.  This year its worse or at least as bad as it ever has been as we have over 50 miles of expressways "under construction" this summer.  

Anyone planning on riding through this area on a bike this year would be well advised to go around, way around.

All this being said, there are routes to take into the city that avoid all the expressways.  If you tell us where you're headed, I, or someone else from this area would help with the route.

Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-06-17 8:43 PM (#62513 - in reply to #62496)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
wow funny my mother lives in Emporia KS.. i was there last year at this time.. I was thinking about in july trying to make a road trip from Pittsburgh PA to that area....
dwhite28
Posted 2010-07-22 4:16 PM (#65093 - in reply to #62496)

Tourer

Ok, i happen to be in Phoenix today untill about Monday. Thinking of taking off Mon Morning up to Sedona and i think its Oak Canyon Hwy and into the Gran Canyon Park. Will be in Gallup, NM for about three weeks after that working. Anybody riding in the area or live in these areas? got any hints or tips on places to see or ride?
varyder
Posted 2010-07-22 6:04 PM (#65106 - in reply to #62496)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
get to the canyon before 7.
lennyb
Posted 2010-07-22 6:28 PM (#65109 - in reply to #62496)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
If you are looking for scenery more than fun MC roads and have the time to go further north consider the north rim of the canyon then going up to Zion and Bryce canyons.
roundtwig
Posted 2010-07-22 10:34 PM (#65122 - in reply to #62496)
Subject: RE: Riding the Vision in the Midwest this summer

Cruiser

flagstaff, AZ
It is Monsoon time up here in Flagstaff. The mornings are usually safe, but after noon you could get caught in some really heavy rain. Be prepared and enjoy the riding.
dwhite28
Posted 2010-07-23 3:03 AM (#65126 - in reply to #62496)

Tourer

Thanks for the advice. I always stay prepared. I am sort of like Varyder. I dont own a car and have not since 1998. My wives always had the car. I ride 365 days a year. Only take a break when solid ice is on the road. So weather is never really a deterent. Rain has made the most memorable moments in my riding history. Indeliable to say the least. I wil try and make the North Rim. Was planning on Leaving Phoenix on Mon at sun up and take a day around the canyon. See sunset and stay to see the sunrise on Tue before headinb back into Gallup, NM for for my next 21 day work cycle.
VisionTex
Posted 2010-07-23 6:30 AM (#65132 - in reply to #65126)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Be careful of the rain in the mountains. Some times it turns hard!!!
varyder
Posted 2010-07-23 6:33 AM (#65133 - in reply to #62496)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
...wives...lol...been there done that. When the first one left it wasn't because of the bike, but that is all that I had left after it was all said and done.

You'll enjoy the riding through there, and hopefully you'll see both south and north rim. Take the Painted desert route, and make sure you get gas at every opportunity. I enjoyed staying on the reservation in Tuba City. Dine Inn motel was the cheapest stay, and my most favorite on my entire trip to Cali and back.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™