You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

New Rider, New Member, Victory Guy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

dshelleny
Posted 2010-06-29 4:58 PM (#63338)
Subject: New Rider, New Member, Victory Guy

Puddle Jumper

Hi all:

I am a new member to the VRN, and am a new rider as well. I started working for Victory in March, and have since gotten my endorsement, taken the BRC, and am on my way to getting on a Vegas. I look forward to learning from you all, and appreciate any tips you may have for a guy who is new to riding.

Dave

Edited by dshelleny 2010-06-29 5:00 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SongFan
Posted 2010-06-29 5:57 PM (#63343 - in reply to #63338)
Subject: RE: New Rider, New Member, Victory Guy

Visionary

Memphis
A Vegas for a first bike....Nice!  It's going to be balanced, powerful and reliable, the exact opposite of most first ride experiences.  If you have a friend that you feel is a good rider, ask them to take you out for a couple of back-road rides and get a good feel for your bike in a relaxed environment.  Buy them lunch and pick their brain for a couple of hours.  Your learning curve will go straight up for the first year.  Good luck and enjoy!
Posted 2010-06-29 6:12 PM (#63346 - in reply to #63338)
Subject: Re: New Rider, New Member, Victory Guy

Tourer

Congrats on the new bike and the new job.
For the bike, pics and info. What year, current mods, planned mods?
For Dave, where are you located and can you tell us what you do for Victory?
radioteacher
Posted 2010-06-29 10:52 PM (#63388 - in reply to #63338)
Subject: Re: New Rider, New Member, Victory Guy

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Dave,

Welcome! I started riding in 1982 and put many miles on an early 80's Kawasaki cruiser. I fell in love with riding but after 10 years of riding I let the bike go into disrepair. Over the years I would borrow a ride from time to time.

Two years ago on July 3, 2008 I took home my 2008 Vision Tour Premium in Black. What a bike. I mean it is big but it does not feel big. I better stop messing around....this is not a 400 pound bike it is an 850 monster with lots of power. I thought...I better learn to ride this thing!

So like you I asked some questions and did some research. The best three things I found were.......

"Ride like a Pro V" It is only thirty bucks and worth every penny.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/store/instructional-dvds

Lane position and object fixation are two things to take to heart. Here is a short video about riding the Dragon in Deals Gap that explains what I and talking about.

The next is some reading material that reads fast and about 50% of it applies to racing bikes. Twist of the Wrist version I and version II. I learned about Survival Reactions (SR's) and what you should do mentally while riding. Get them from the library.

Last is the ERC course from the MSF. I would wait until you get about six months or six thousand miles down the road before taking it.

Find a big commuter lot and practice your riding skills. Practice, Practice, Practice!

Here I am on the Vision riding the 24' by 60' box after the ERC.

Edited by radioteacher 2010-06-29 11:01 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™