You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Had No Idea I Could Not Repair A Victory Tire
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

kodonnell1
Posted 2010-07-01 9:55 AM (#63492)
Subject: Had No Idea I Could Not Repair A Victory Tire

Tourer

Hello All
Was riding the other day and somehow picked up a nail in my back tire. I took it to the local victory dealer to see if they could plug it. They told me that I would have to change out the tire because of liability issues. All dealers and repair shops don't want to take the chance of getting sued. The new tire cost me 260.00 $ plus 180 $ labor. That nail cost me 440.00 $. This is just a little heads up to all to be careful around construction zones or anywhere else while riding. I only had 7700 miles on the tire and one nail ruined my day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-07-01 10:00 AM (#63493 - in reply to #63492)
Subject: Re: Had No Idea I Could Not Repair A Victory Tire

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
you need to find a better dealer. my dealer sold me BOTH fron and rear tire(S) for $335 ! i dont know any motorcycle dealers that will repair a motorcycle tire. just for the reason you mention. LEGAL.... i bought a sears jack and i remove my wheels and bring them to the dealer.. i just had my front tire replaced for $24.
yoyo
Posted 2010-07-01 10:02 AM (#63494 - in reply to #63492)
Subject: RE: Had No Idea I Could Not Repair A Victory Tire

Cruiser

ESCALON CA.
i plugged my own but only got 7500 miles out of it, left side got bald, on a vision.
kodonnell1
Posted 2010-07-01 10:30 AM (#63495 - in reply to #63492)

Tourer

I will find a better repair shop. I think it was outraughous to charge a customer over 400 $ to change out a tire. Just to let everyone know this victory dealer is in the good old state of Utah. I think from now on I will take my business to one of the non-dealer service centers. There labor fees and tire prices are around 100$ cheaper than the dealer.
wroman
Posted 2010-07-01 10:39 AM (#63496 - in reply to #63492)

Tourer

Gettysburg, 2008 Tour Premium
The fact is you can plug a M/C tire as long as it is in the center section of the tread. I have done it with not loss of life or limb. I use something called Ride-On TPS in both my tires and it is a safe sealant that will not damage the rims. It will seal punctures. The first time I used it was on a new honda Gold Wing. We were leaving on our first day ride with a new bike and pulling onto the road picked upa nail, I could hear it ticking. Stopped the ride and took the tire off and carried it to Rockville H-D whowas the first bike dealer to start using the stuff.Atone point they put it in every bike they sold. It is a liquid and there biggest clients are heavy equipment operators mostly vehicles that operatein landfill operations.
VisionTex
Posted 2010-07-01 12:03 PM (#63499 - in reply to #63496)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I've had tires with nails not get repaired and some that have been repaired. If the puncture is small, clean not ripped, is basically close to the center, and did not go in at an angle, you can repair. A good repair is a plug with a patch on the interior of the tire. I wouldn't go with just a plug unless it just to get to a repair. I can also understand service shops that won't repair tires for fear of getting sued. There are also hazard insurance policies out there for motorcycle tires, these can be bought just like car tires hazard insurance. I also think it is an advantage to shop around for tires before you really need tires, that way you can get the best pricing when there is a need. Competion Accessories is selling a set of E3s for ~$300 right not. You have to remember that a lot of dealers will charge you mechanic rates for changing tires, my dealers service rates are $94/hr. A local Mom & Pop shop is probably half that. In the last 2.5 years I've had nails in three back tires. One we were able to patch, the other two my tire guy advised me not to patch the tire... so we didn't.
Webhair
Posted 2010-07-01 12:11 PM (#63501 - in reply to #63492)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
A local Motorcycle tire shop charged me $401 for two new tires, mounting, balancing with chrome weights... All I had to do was ride up there.

I was very happy over what my dealer wanted to charge.
cw1115
Posted 2010-07-01 1:48 PM (#63511 - in reply to #63492)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I picked up a nail in my Yamaha and was told the same thing. I plugged it myself till I could get it replaced. I had tire insurance. It was $199 for 5 years. That one flat covered the cost of the insurance. The price was double when I bought the Vision. $399 for five years. I have gotten two flats in the rear tire, tire replaced both times at no cost to me, so once again the insurance has paid for itself and than some. The only catch is the tire had to have 3/32" tread left of it's not covered. Most dealers can sell you a policy.
http://www.safe-guardproducts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view...
tlfuller
Posted 2010-07-01 4:32 PM (#63526 - in reply to #63492)
Subject: RE: Had No Idea I Could Not Repair A Victory Tire

Puddle Jumper

Also, next time take the tire off and take it in for replacement and you'll save a lot of money.

I saw a product the other day that looked pretty cool. I don't remember what it's brand name was but it looks like a key head with a screw on the end. You screw it in and snap off the head. There's no glue involved. This is of course a temporary fix but it should get you home or to a shop. The old type of plugs are a pain. I've used them but they are tuff. I'm thinking of getting these others to try.
RedDog
Posted 2010-07-01 9:03 PM (#63542 - in reply to #63492)

Cruiser

OHIO
I carry a plug kit with me at all times. Rear tire has a plug in it right now, and has been there for at least 5000 miles.
jama
Posted 2010-07-02 6:51 AM (#63560 - in reply to #63492)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Jeez! That's double the fair price for the tire and 4 times what I pay my local shop to put them on !!
BBV
Posted 2010-07-03 3:02 PM (#63666 - in reply to #63492)

Puddle Jumper

Some shops Insurance companies will not cover them unless Dealer purchase the tires and can prove they did not buy seconds off the Internet. Which some consumers do unknowingly.
racershawn
Posted 2010-07-20 8:01 PM (#64928 - in reply to #63560)

Cruiser

Hampton Va
I just got me a new rear tire and thought I would change it out my self... any advice... How hard is it to trmove the rear tire??? thanks

Edited by racershawn 2010-07-20 8:02 PM
Jim Millington
Posted 2010-07-20 8:46 PM (#64930 - in reply to #63492)

Cruiser

Cold Lake Alberta Canada
Just make sure that your bike is secure on the jack and you have lots of room between fender and floor.
Mark the washers so you can get your alignment and belt tension correct. We changed my rear tire in about one hour of work time. The other hour was spent looking for the tire weights.
VisionTex
Posted 2010-07-21 11:01 AM (#64976 - in reply to #64928)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
racershawn - 2010-07-20 7:01 PM

I just got me a new rear tire and thought I would change it out my self... any advice... How hard is it to trmove the rear tire??? thanks

racershawn, if you go to my gallery, there are some pictures on page three and some comments on wheel removal. Also, when going back with the rear wheel insert the axle for the brake caliper side first. Besure the while spacers are in place and on the correct sides of the wheel. Also, put a little grease lube on the axle before reinstalling. Oh and having an extra hand when putting the wheel back on is nice, but one person can do it. Good luck.
varyder
Posted 2010-07-21 12:11 PM (#64983 - in reply to #64928)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
racershawn - 2010-07-20 9:01 PM

RS - I would love to ride down and give you a hand, it is a very easy (relative) task. Just remember, if you are trying to force anything it is not lined up. My trick is to get the axle started on the left side, just in enough keep the brake bracket, adjuster and spacer in check. Then I go to the right side and put in a screwdriver to keep the spacer and adjuster in check. A little wiggle pushing it through will keep everything aligned.

If you want step by step, I'll be glad to share that, but the manual has everything about covered.
racershawn
Posted 2010-07-21 1:27 PM (#64986 - in reply to #63492)

Cruiser

Hampton Va
yes please .... I am lost.............
racershawn
Posted 2010-07-21 1:41 PM (#64987 - in reply to #63492)

Cruiser

Hampton Va
I have everything un bolted but the swingarm is not down enough to poll the bolt out ... do i have to unbolt the swing arm from the shock??
varyder
Posted 2010-07-21 1:44 PM (#64988 - in reply to #63492)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
yes, the right side push rod at the swing arm. Work your jack with the wheel barely touching the ground and it will come right out.

Edited by varyder 2010-07-21 1:46 PM
racershawn
Posted 2010-07-21 1:59 PM (#64989 - in reply to #63492)

Cruiser

Hampton Va
got it it is out !!! very ez ...thanks........
varyder
Posted 2010-07-21 3:25 PM (#65000 - in reply to #63492)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
shawn - pm sent.
racershawn
Posted 2010-07-21 6:32 PM (#65010 - in reply to #63492)

Cruiser

Hampton Va
well thanks everyone... thought i was done then i realizes that the spacer on the gear side was missing... sure hope the bike shop that installed the tire still has it..........
varyder
Posted 2010-07-21 6:37 PM (#65013 - in reply to #63492)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
look in your vehicle, between the bike and where you loaded it in the vehicle or in the shop parking lot. Don't ask me how I know...
racershawn
Posted 2010-07-21 6:52 PM (#65014 - in reply to #63492)

Cruiser

Hampton Va
been there done that .... and talked to the guy at the shop ... he said the only one that was in it was the one he gave me when i came to get the tire back... he was sure it was not there when i gave it to him... he said the first thing he dose is take them out......I can make another if i know how long that one is.....or was ... LOL..... u would thing i have never worked on anything in my life the way this has gone
varyder
Posted 2010-07-21 7:58 PM (#65018 - in reply to #65014)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
racershawn - 2010-07-21 7:52 PM

been there done that .... and talked to the guy at the shop ... he said the only one that was in it was the one he gave me when i came to get the tire back... he was sure it was not there when i gave it to him... he said the first thing he dose is take them out......I can make another if i know how long that one is.....or was ... LOL..... u would thing i have never worked on anything in my life the way this has gone

...don't make me come down there. There are only two things that I've lost and that never got found again, but wont' mention them here. I did the same thing one of the times, if not a couple of times, even gave up hope and all, then went and looked yet one more time. I have my original spacers to prove that I found them everytime.

Mimic everything you did from pulling them off to putting the tire in the vehicle. unless it was an open bed pickup with no tailgate, you'll find it, I hope. Chances are it fell off in the vehicle though, that is were mine was everytime, hiding and laughing at me.

If not, I believe the specs are somewhere in the manual, I believe in the parts manual which is on line. You've got the other one to make the diameter from, and I'm sure the length for both is in the parts manual.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™