You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Victory Accessory Pricing.......... rediculous
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

VaParadox
Posted 2010-07-24 4:32 PM (#65283)
Subject: Victory Accessory Pricing.......... rediculous

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Went in to my dealer to get pricing for adding the trunk to my Vision Street Premium. I wont use it more then probably 2x per year otherwise it will hang on its hanger in the garage. Here is Victory's
pricing on the trunk, see if you guys think this is reasonable or even explainable..

Trunk price
2008 1299
2009 1299
2010 1499
New price as of 7-24-2010 (must be 2011 price)

How can something go up 300.00 in 2.5 years with no modifications, changes, etc in the actual product.
They either must be selling a ton of these to justify the price hike, or they are planning on selling NONE of these.....

Ive looked for a used one or one someone wanted to sell but no one on the internet has one to sell.
I decided to move on and use the tour bag that I have. 1599. for something id use 2x a year isnt worth it.

Way to keep customers happy and coming back for more VICTORY... I can surely see that you have
customers in mind when making decisions................
Top of the page Bottom of the page
chesshiretuna
Posted 2010-07-24 4:52 PM (#65285 - in reply to #65283)
Subject: Re: Victory Accessory Pricing.......... rediculous

Tourer

Quantity of units built so far......aprox. 7000.......not a whole lot of production. The more you build ..the less expensive the parts become. Yes they get a premium price, but let's face the fact that our model will always fall in this catagory. When the model is 15 years old we will see a tremendous aftermarket supply , like H-D and Goldwings have.
VaParadox
Posted 2010-07-24 5:22 PM (#65288 - in reply to #65283)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
While I totally agree with your thought here is what i think. Regarding a demand market a manufacturer only has 3 options
reduce a price, maintain a price, or increase a price. In this particular catagory, with 7000 units sold on a high end product factoring in
current economic state, Victory should have maintaned the price not increased it by 30%. If your logic applies across the board, wouldnt we have seen an approximate 30% or so increase in their entire line up? Well, we tested that, I had my dealer look up 6 random
accessories within various types of things to keep the test fair. No other prices from 2010 to 2011 have increased in their accessory line up
when my dealer checked prices (not in the catalog, but in the Polaris site that they place orders). So these prices are from Polaris not any current print catalog which is why we deduced this to be a 2011 price increase. Typically a 30 % increase in a manufactured item happens because of a design alteration, modification, or a re-moulding of the product to improve upon its previous version. None of this is the case with the Vision Trunk, nothing is different. Thats why I said it was rediculous.. But again, i do understand and agree with Chess's posting
XRsteve
Posted 2010-07-24 6:52 PM (#65295 - in reply to #65283)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
It's not that far off, a harley king tourpak with rear speakers would be around $1300 or so.............
1atom12
Posted 2010-07-24 7:03 PM (#65297 - in reply to #65283)

Tourer

Atlanta Area
You can buy it from Maxim Powersports at 20% off for $1199 plus shipping. I just stuck one in my cart to see:

QUANTITY PART RETAIL YOUR PRICE
TRUNK,BLK (2876292-266) $1,499.99 $1,199.99

http://www.maximpowersports.com/fiche_select.asp?mfg=Victory&partnu...

If you don't have an account set up with them yet, you will only see the retail price....
Banjo
Posted 2010-07-24 7:47 PM (#65298 - in reply to #65283)

Tourer

I agree $700- 800 for a pair of slip on mufflers...is sick!! Ive been quoted about $1000 for the dealer to install the S1L2 pipes
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-07-24 9:07 PM (#65303 - in reply to #65298)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Banjo - 2010-07-24 7:47 PM

I agree $700- 800 for a pair of slip on mufflers...is sick!! Ive been quoted about $1000 for the dealer to install the S1L2 pipes

believe me it is worth doing the pipes yourself.its not as hard as you think! i have a very weak set of tools and installed my s1l1 mufflers in a little over an hour or two. alli paid for was the dealer to install the S1L1 fuel map and that only cost me around $35-$40 which if i had to do that again i wouldnt waste my time with the victory fuel maps.. as they are so darn lean to start with.
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-07-24 9:32 PM (#65306 - in reply to #65283)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Yep, this is a revisited topic. It's best just to get it off your chest and move on... It burns everyone's ass. All the OEM accessories will cost you your first born and if it has Arlen Ness's name on it, you can forget about a pricepoint anywhere close to a fair MSRP. The best we can do is look for quality 3rd party stuff (like Lloydz and Cycleops). Lloydz won't let you down and I dont' own anything from Cycle Ops just yet (but his stuff gets great reviews). It's a shame but that's where the dealerships make recoup their $. They; being independent, have to make ends meet. Polaris is too cheap to give the decent francise oppertunitys so we end up paying for it in the cost of our accessories.
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-07-24 10:20 PM (#65311 - in reply to #65288)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN

Easy does it Va. I won't presume that you are unfamiliar with manufacturing, marketing and distribution costs structures, but there are a whole lot more factors involved in setting price points than just setting in a meeting and saying to ourselves, "Do we want to sell lots of these at a small margin, or a few at a large margin?". Inventory costs, dealer margins, sales volumes, supplier rates, taxes (you can thank Obama and the libs for this one, all those Bush tax cuts are going away for every business in the country come December), are all major players in this equasion. And of course there is risk because they really don't know for sure if they need to allow a margin of 10% or .5% for after market inventory, not to mention how many of each color. 

Sales volume is a big one. If you think about it there are only a small percentage of Visions out there without the top box and most of those chose to buy the street version because they didn't want the box "look". Now with demand for the street version so low they decided "what the heck, we will just skip all the trouble and sell one style". You get the box at a bargin price since it's included in the package, and if you like the street look, as I do most of the time, you store it until the next long trip is scheduled.

As for those that unfortunately chose to buy the bike less the box, they pay a premium for buying a part that has a low and decreasing demand. I doubt they are selling more than one or two of these a month to street customers that have changed there minds. This would be comparable to a Ford truck owner who bought an XLT with standard seats deciding a couple years later to upgrade to power deluxe factory Ford seats and expecting a bargin price. Sorry but Ford and the dealer are going to stick it to you. And they're not really making a ton of money because they will rarely have a customer wanting to do this. 

Your price comparison of other accessories probably proves this more than anything else. Things that are moving and have a predictable sales volume probably will have a more stable and reasonable pricing pattern. 

Last, I always get a little irked when people complain about the prices of American made stuff. We all love Walmart prices and do everything we can to drive the profit out of everything we buy and then b$tch and moan when there is no place to work in our towns because all the factories have pulled out and sent their manufacturing operations outside our borders to cut costs and be "more competitive". I realize that some parts of the Vics are already made outside the USA, but I sure as hell don't won't more or all the parts made over seas just to make a handful of short sighted customers feel like they got a bargin. As much as we hate to admit it, in the real big picture these are big time luxury toys compared to what the rest of the world knows. Even our Grandfathers' could not even dream of having something so luxurious, reliable and cool, as this for any price. If you really can't afford the toys, than buy a chinese made set of saddle bags and put them on your proudly made American Vision and be like all the HD riders with chinese accessories hanging all over there bikes. I've worked in 11 factories over the last thirty-one years. Half of them don't even exist any more and the ones that do get most of there components or raw material from over seas and just pay assembly workers 8 to 13 dollars an hour to assemble packages and ship to customers. 

Sorry for the rant folks but to me the Victory line is the best thing in American motorcycle manufacturing in the last fifty years and to me something worth having is worth saving up for and taking care of for a lifetime. 

Vinner1
Posted 2010-07-25 12:05 AM (#65317 - in reply to #65311)

Cruiser

Hartland, , WI
Hoosiervic:

Nicely thought out response...but isn't that the happy balance that all products have to try to find. A price that makes enough profit for all hands involved to make a buck but not be so over priced to deter/alienate their target consumers...no matter what that product or target consumer?

I've had a Direct Buy membership (built a house and made sense otherwise its a waste) for a while now and still get surprised at some of the mark up encountered with products...and that is just the last hand off of product...wholesale to retailer with the suggested retail price. Since I realize the manufacturer is making a profit selling it to the wholesaler I just am surprised at how much profit is made between the profitable cost of a product to be manufactured and the final retail price it is sold at, ouch! Not always but sometimes I have noticed it enough to think wouldnt it make sense if everyone wasnt so piggy and took a little less along the way and then enjoy an increase in revenue by more volume?

Anyway I like your post.

Edited by Vinner1 2010-07-25 12:08 AM
varyder
Posted 2010-07-25 5:22 AM (#65325 - in reply to #65283)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
These kind of post really get boring and out of whack. The good thing of them is that they make people aware of more affordable and competative prices available, when available. Being new to the market, the Vision has little aftermarket, but it is building a following. That will challenge Victory's pricing more than getting on an open internet forum and whining about it, but hey, it makes folks feel good. I paid the price from Victory on the trunk rack when that was the only thing available. I use it, and use it often. I have the passenger backrest and rack as well and paid the price for them, and I'm glad I got them and paid the price for them, though it could have been on sale.

If you feel the price of Victory is rediculous (sic) then have them made yourself, wait for a sale, or go aftermarket. Your whining will not make Victory wake up one morning and say "Oh, I think we overpriced our stuff, let's knock everything down to half-price".

Oh yeah, we're talking trunk, right, if you are wanting a street, get the Tour bike and take off the trunk to make it a street, you'll be more satisfied and have the option to have a keyed trunk, should you decide to go "Geezer".

By the way, you got my post for free so there's nothing to complain about.

Edited by varyder 2010-07-25 5:27 AM
paulhu
Posted 2010-07-25 6:37 AM (#65330 - in reply to #65325)

Cruiser

Durango, Colorado
      > WOW <
phoenix9
Posted 2010-08-06 2:04 AM (#66501 - in reply to #65283)

Cruiser

Litchfield Park, AZ
VaParodox-I have my tour pack for sale on this site right now for a hell of a lot less than any dealer.....even with shipping and painting to match your bike you would save a ton.
Gray rider
Posted 2010-08-06 9:51 AM (#66519 - in reply to #66501)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
I was talking to my dealer in Sierra Vista about this very subject. He told me that if I think that's a high price, the price for a trunk for a Gold Wing is $2500!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™