You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

5000 mile oil change
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

CC-Rider
Posted 2010-07-26 8:30 PM (#65508)
Subject: 5000 mile oil change

Cruiser

I was just reading on the VOG.net that they are redesigning the transmission on 2011's. It was stated that you can change oil @ 5000 miles now. What I don't get is how you double the oil life by redesigning a transmission. Or does the transmission break down the oil more so than the engine itself? I am not a motor head, so could someone please explain this to me?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Flatsix
Posted 2010-07-26 9:08 PM (#65520 - in reply to #65508)
Subject: RE: 5000 mile oil change

Tourer

Fargo, ND

It's my understanding the gears in the transmission will 'shear' the oil molecules...thus the oil will 'wear out' faster than if the oil was only circulating through the engine. Apparently they have changed the way the gears mesh together causing less shear in the new transmissions.

That's my take on it and I'm stickin to it!
varyder
Posted 2010-07-27 7:17 AM (#65544 - in reply to #65508)
Subject: Re: 5000 mile oil change

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I don't see the extended oil life as a transmission change, that was to reduce the noise many where concerned with, and really, it is about time. Hopefully, the redesign will continue the same dependability, Victory has had a distance past problem with transmissions. But, my understanding of the longer OCI is not based on anything except the neutral finder. The oil breaks down enough to cause the shifting problems but the oil is still doing its job. I've never had problems going 3,000+ on oil when using full syn, but with Vic oil, the engine would rattle more beyond the 2,000 mile mark. So, now I'm curious for the 2011 and what they will sound like at 3,000 miles, unless there has been a redesign in the cam chain as well.

I'm glad that Victory has brought out the "New and Improved" campaign as that will sway those on the fence over those little issue that become excuses, making Victory a stronger brand.
sonicbluerider
Posted 2010-07-27 8:32 AM (#65551 - in reply to #65508)

Tourer

, IA
They changed there Vic oil fomula to Amsoil lol
jaho
Posted 2010-07-27 8:53 AM (#65555 - in reply to #65544)

New user

There's a few things going on here, so I'll do what I can to explain:

1. Transmission has been redesigned. 40% of it is all new. This transmission has improved durability: 100,000 mile life.
2. Gear whine in the primary drive has been reduced- this improves sound quality at idle and at lower speeds.
3. Gear whine in the other gears has also been reduced (I notice the difference mainly in 4th and 6th gears now- they now sound nearly indistinguishable from the direct-drive 5th)
4. Driveline lash has been reduced. This means a smoother feeling bike when you roll on the throttle, particularly in the lower gears.
5. Neutral finder has been added, and works so well you won't know it's there. You just always get neutral when you're stopped.

The limitation on oil life on the previous transmission was that neutral became hard to find at increased mileages. This was due to changes in viscosity as the oil saw more usage. Now that finding neutral is easier, you can get more mileage out of your oil.

Hope this helps,
JaHo
varyder
Posted 2010-07-27 9:25 AM (#65561 - in reply to #65508)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'm curious on the 100,000 mile claim as a perk, I've got 78,800 on my current '08 transmission, does that mean it won't make it another 21,000 miles? I'm not having any problems, so is this just a Victory mental ploy since most motorcycle riders never see 100,000 miles on any one bike?
VisionTex
Posted 2010-07-27 11:39 AM (#65571 - in reply to #65561)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Yes, mental ploy for those of us that are mental...those bastards at Victory are always messing with our head!!! I'm happy Victory has gone to the 5k, so does that mean we could possibly push it to 10k, hell half of us are pushing the 2.5k oil change to 5k now....oh no this is really starting to hurt.
pollolittle
Posted 2010-07-27 2:02 PM (#65586 - in reply to #65508)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Snickers, Dr Pepper, Popcorn, comfy seat, go ahead, I'm waiting..........

I'll have to look up the 100,000 mile claim and see what Mistress VaRyder is talking about, I mean DEMANDING!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™