You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

AVR and routes around Chicago
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

wroman
Posted 2010-07-30 8:22 AM (#65868)
Subject: AVR and routes around Chicago

Tourer

Gettysburg, 2008 Tour Premium
Heading to AVR Mon morning from Carlisle, PA and the general plan has always been when heading west to get near South Bend and stay the night and wake up early and head out on 80 till clear of Chicago traffic then stop for breakfast. The last two times I did this there was significant construction on 80 but I heard a lot of that was complete. Any word from anybody local to the area.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2010-07-30 9:03 AM (#65875 - in reply to #65868)
Subject: Re: AVR and routes around Chicago

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Unless you have a real reason to go through Chicago, I would avoid it all together and go the Indy route or take some major back routes away from Chicago. I have never been through or around Chicago that it wasn't a major traffic hassle, worse than DC or Baltimore. I would not want to have anything to do with it on a motorcycle except to say I've been there done that. Going through Indy makes it a 40 more mile route, but it will save you some time I believe.
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-07-30 9:41 AM (#65878 - in reply to #65868)

Iron Butt

You most definitely want to stay away from going through Chicago due to road construction.

I would advise you to take I74 out of Indianapolis and stay on it across Illinois until you get to the Quad Cities area where you can pick up I80 which you can stay on until you hit I35 then take that north until yu get to the proper two laner that takes you into Spirit Lake.

Again, STAY OUT OF CHICAGO DUE TO ROAD CONTRUCTION!
Big Vic
Posted 2010-07-30 12:13 PM (#65899 - in reply to #65868)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I would also stay out of Chicago construction or no construction. That traffic sucks! Dido what Travelin Man says but I would exit off of 80 at Iowa City and go North on 380 towards Cedar Rapids. Stay on until you hit 20 towards Waterloo (exit to left) then catch 218 towards Mason City (exit to right) which later turns into 18. You will hit 35 for about 3 miles than can jump back on 18 which takes you all the way to Spencer which is just south of Spirit Lake. Trust me on this one....the map doesn't show it well but 218 is all 4 lane to I35. The roads are clearly marked and getting through Cedar Rapids (0 stops drive right through) and Waterloo (1 exit off of 20 then about 4 stop lights before you are out of town) are both easy. It is fairly new and very smooth whereas 80 is not. It has less than 1/2 of the traffic of I80 or I35 and you can run the same speeds with less cops. As a bonus it's shorter than running 80 all the way to Des Moines before heading north. I ridden all of these roads several times and this is definately the best route. Call if you have any questions.
Rod
Home 319-469-4212
Cell 319-470-3310
phoenix9
Posted 2010-07-30 9:04 PM (#65933 - in reply to #65868)

Cruiser

Litchfield Park, AZ
Wroman,

Where are you coming from? A nice "back road" would be to drop down I-65 to Route 10 in Indiana (~20-24 miles south), then take that West....when you cross the state line it will turn into 114 until you get into Momence (SMALL town USA). Then take 17 through Streator until you hit I-39, Take that a little north and you will hop right onto I-80. Your biggest traffic concern on this route will be the John Deere Tractors crossing the roads going from field to field. Honestly, I would recommend this even if there was no traffic through Chicago. I'd be willing to bet this side trip would be one of the most relaxing parts of your trip.

Go to mapquest.com and zoom into that area and you will see exactly what I am talking about. I have driven these roads all my life and you'll enjoy them. Everything will be 55 MPH (which means 60-65) and the biggest town may have 4 stop lights. It will be fun.

Big Vic is dead on with his road reports above through Cedar Rapids and Waterloo.

Edited by phoenix9 2010-07-30 9:05 PM
wroman
Posted 2010-07-31 4:30 AM (#65949 - in reply to #65868)

Tourer

Coming from south central PA. The route accross Ohio will determine alot. I considered 74 as mentioned. Since we have a few days to get there we thought about seeing the field of dreams and stopping at Poopies in Savannah, IL. Maybe ride the some of the Great River road on the way up.I thought of going to Red Wing, WI to see the old hotel. Thanks for the rts accross Iowa, probably come back that way.
wroman
Posted 2010-07-31 4:39 AM (#65950 - in reply to #65868)

Tourer

Thanks Phoenix9, I was looking at 24 but 10/114/17 is shorter. Then 39 to 30 to 84 up to Savannah. Geat deal!
Big Vic
Posted 2010-07-31 7:36 AM (#65957 - in reply to #65868)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
If you've never been to Poopies before it's an OK stop. Nothing your going to remember for years but worth seeing if your in the area. Just north of Poopies on the main drag is the Iron Horse Social Club. I have not been there for a few years but it's an interesting bar to visit. If you cross the river in Savanna take 64 over to Anamosa IA where you can visit J&P Cycles and the National Motorcycle Museum. The last time I was at the museum they had a brand new Excelsior Henderson in the crate and a Vic or two on the floor. They have 2 floors of history and every brand you ever heard of. If you have never been there and enjoy motorcycle history this is a must see.
Lotzafun
Posted 2010-07-31 8:10 AM (#65959 - in reply to #65868)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
While Poopies isn't bad the Iron Horse Social Club is much better. Heck, its pretty easy to just do both of them, they are only about ten minutes apart. Running over to Anamosa is gonna take you a while though, its about an hour SW of Savanna. But then again the museum is well worth the trip. The Great River road is beautiful, especially north of Dubuque.
09ness#163
Posted 2010-08-03 9:49 PM (#66314 - in reply to #65868)

Cruiser

Northwest Ohio
We will be coming from Ohio on 80. What route can be taken around Chicago safely? There will be 5 of us riding and are pushing it time wise. We need to be at Arnolds park to get cams put in Thursday evening.
Bubba
Posted 2010-08-04 6:29 AM (#66329 - in reply to #66314)

Cruiser

09ness#163 - 2010-08-03 8:49 PM

We will be coming from Ohio on 80. What route can be taken around Chicago safely? There will be 5 of us riding and are pushing it time wise. We need to be at Arnolds park to get cams put in Thursday evening.

Time of day makes a huge difference, what time you passing through? Until 10 a.m. sucks 2:30 to 7 p.m. sucks. If you time it right take 90/94 (tollway) and take 90 the rest of the way. If you get through Chicago at the right time, you should be OK in Madison. I do not know about construction but think your OK.
rottsr4u2
Posted 2010-08-04 7:17 AM (#66337 - in reply to #65868)

Puddle Jumper

Time of day does make a difference on the South side of Chicago. But I have seen it backed up regardless of time.
If you are coming across on the Indiana toll road you have a couple of choices to make:
1. Stay on I80/94 through Gary Indiana and the far South side of the Chicago metro area (they are working on the road and it is pot luck on whether or not you run into traffic tie up)
2. You can drop down to US30 through Valparaiso (south at mile marker 31 on the Indiana toll road) and head west on US30 (heavy traffic and many signals between Valpo and Joliet, IL).
I80/94 is suppose to have three lanes open west bound through construction, east bound on your way back is sometimes restricted to two lanes open.
Where I80/94 split you stay on I80 towards Des Moines, I believe there is bridge construction near Joliet which sometimes backs up traffic.
If in a hurry I would take I80 into Iowa and head north on I380 towards Cedar Rapids/Waterloo this turns into Hiway 218/27, continue north and hit Hiway 18. Follow west to Spenser Iowa and then north to Spirit Lake.
Good Luck!
wroman
Posted 2010-08-04 7:42 AM (#66340 - in reply to #65868)

Tourer

Jeff, is Lloyds doing the cams?
Highwayman
Posted 2010-08-04 9:01 AM (#66341 - in reply to #65868)
Subject: RE: AVR and routes around Chicago

Cruiser

Iowa
FYI for all traveling in Iowa near Cedar Rapids on I380 - they now have active cameras (with signs posted) they are using to catch speeders. Every overpass has one from Iowa City to Cedar Rapids. The state has also stepped up their speed trap patrol. Budgets must be pretty tight, so watch your speed. And ride safe.
09ness#163
Posted 2010-08-04 8:28 PM (#66421 - in reply to #66340)

Cruiser

Northwest Ohio
wroman - 2010-08-04 8:42 AM

Jeff, is Lloyds doing the cams?

wroman, Rylan Voes is working for Lloyd that week end and he is doing it. I was suppose to stop by Rylan's shop on the way and get it done but Rylan will be at the rally. I will have the ness vision being done Thursday evening. Stop by and say Hi. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you on this site.
09ness#163
Posted 2010-08-04 8:39 PM (#66422 - in reply to #66329)

Cruiser

Northwest Ohio
Bubba - 2010-08-04 7:29 AM

09ness#163 - 2010-08-03 8:49 PM

Time of day makes a huge difference, what time you passing through? Until 10 a.m. sucks 2:30 to 7 p.m. sucks. If you time it right take 90/94 (tollway) and take 90 the rest of the way. If you get through Chicago at the right time, you should be OK in Madison. I do not know about construction but think your OK.

We should be coming through about 9:00 am. Two of us are pulling trailers and two are trikes so hopefully the roads won't be too bad.
wroman
Posted 2010-08-04 11:06 PM (#66429 - in reply to #65868)

Tourer

Jeff trying to decide on stopping at Tony Packo's on the way out or on the way back. Decisions, Decisions.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™