You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Good news and bad news
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Moose381
Posted 2010-08-05 2:39 PM (#66467)
Subject: Good news and bad news

Puddle Jumper

Lillian, Alabama
The good news is that I get to ride my Vision to work almost every day....all year round.

The bad news is that I only live 2 miles from where I work.

I need to move.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2010-08-05 2:50 PM (#66470 - in reply to #66467)
Subject: RE: Good news and bad news

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Moose381 - 2010-08-05 3:39 PM

The good news is that I get to ride my Vision to work almost every day....all year round.

The bad news is that I only live 2 miles from where I work.

I need to move.

Too funny. When I first started riding again I had an old GL1200 that the stator went out. It was difficult to change out and I finally went with the external alternator fix. In the mean time, I carried a spare battery and I would charge up everynight, which would get me to work and back each day on a single charge for the 30 mile round trip. Two years later, shortly after I got the Vision, they moved our office 31 miles away from home, giving me a 62 mile round trip. I think I was the only one smiling because of the move. Oh, we have two offices, one that is just 4 miles from my house that we were going to put me at. They thought I was crazy to want to go to the further office.

Oh, for the passion...
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-08-05 3:38 PM (#66476 - in reply to #66470)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN

varyder - 2010-08-05 3:50 PM Moose381 - 2010-08-05 3:39 PM The good news is that I get to ride my Vision to work almost every day....all year round. The bad news is that I only live 2 miles from where I work. I need to move. Too funny. When I first started riding again I had an old GL1200 that the stator went out. It was difficult to change out and I finally went with the external alternator fix. In the mean time, I carried a spare battery and I would charge up everynight, which would get me to work and back each day on a single charge for the 30 mile round trip. Two years later, shortly after I got the Vision, they moved our office 31 miles away from home, giving me a 62 mile round trip. I think I was the only one smiling because of the move. Oh, we have two offices, one that is just 4 miles from my house that we were going to put me at. They thought I was crazy to want to go to the further office. Oh, for the passion...

Oh how I can relate to both stories. We used to live about 55 miles from where I currently work. When our son went off to college we decided to move closer to work to reduce all the drive time and mileage, costs etc. Now we live just outside the beltway of Indianapolis and its 1.5 miles to the interstate. Very good for the ease of commute purest that I have become, and now only 20 miles door to door.

Enter the Vision as of April of 2010, and now every day that I ride, which is every day the weather is remotely decent, I'm just getting settled in when the exit appears in the distance. Oh how I long for that 35 miles of country highway that I used to dread every day!

Then again 20 miles each way for 9 months of the year sure beats two miles each way with year round riding.

Moose I guess you'll just have to force yourself to go for more evening rides. Hmmmmm that doesn't sound so bad.

Ride safe and enjoy every awesome mile!

PS: Of course there is no law that states you have to ride straight to and from work. I have been known to take the long and the extra long way to and from at times, just because.......... know what I mean. Kinda like Va was indicating above, you could really mess with your co-workers by telling them that even though you only live two miles away it takes you 40 minutes to get to work when you ride the Vision, and you do it as often as possible.

Webhair
Posted 2010-08-05 3:41 PM (#66477 - in reply to #66467)
Subject: Re: Good news and bad news

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
That is funny and yes you do need to move - I am 34 miles and don't ride in as much as I would like (city traffic - stinks). Anyway - it is still not far enough!
ScreamingEag1e
Posted 2010-08-05 5:36 PM (#66481 - in reply to #66467)

Puddle Jumper

Clarksville, TN / Ft Campbell, KY
take the LONG way home...... make a long way home
donetracey
Posted 2010-08-05 6:00 PM (#66482 - in reply to #66467)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
For MANY years, people have been saying to me: "It must really save you money driving the motorcycle to work/wherever... "
And my answer has ALWAYS been truthful: "Are you kidding? I always find the longest route - it likely costs me MORE than my car...."

I say "likely" cuz I have NEVER considered money spent on gas for my bike as an 'expense' - it's more of a 'enjoyable privilege' !!!
Birdneckrider
Posted 2010-08-05 6:04 PM (#66483 - in reply to #66467)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, Virginia
I know what you guys mean with the short commute. Mine is usually about 1.5 hours when I make it, but I will often throw in a ferry ride and stop for coffee. Of course I ride through the farm areas and hunt out the twists, which sometimes means I have to leave around 6am. Did I mention that I work from home?....
SongFan
Posted 2010-08-05 6:48 PM (#66484 - in reply to #66467)

Visionary

Memphis
Ha! Niiice!
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-08-05 8:34 PM (#66487 - in reply to #66482)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN

donetracey - 2010-08-05 7:00 PM For MANY years, people have been saying to me: "It must really save you money driving the motorcycle to work/wherever... " And my answer has ALWAYS been truthful: "Are you kidding? I always find the longest route - it likely costs me MORE than my car...." I say "likely" cuz I have NEVER considered money spent on gas for my bike as an 'expense' - it's more of a 'enjoyable privilege' !!!

I agree, it has nothing to do with saving money. More with maintaining sanity in a wacky world.

I look at it this way, some people don't mind spending 35 to 90 bucks once or twice a week on green fees to play golf. I probably spend about that on gas and my bike payment. I think I have a whole lot more fun and much less frustration.

Give me a tank of gas and the open road!!!

phoenix9
Posted 2010-08-06 2:23 AM (#66502 - in reply to #66467)

Cruiser

Litchfield Park, AZ
You are all lucky SOBs. I travel all over the country so my "office" is usually the airport.....and I'll be damned if I'm gonna park the Vision in long-term parking a week at a time. My only rescue is that at least once a year I find one trip I can work out a route to take the bike on a work trip. This year it Phoenix to Estes Park, CO and back......which is coming up in another week.
Webhair
Posted 2010-08-06 7:42 AM (#66510 - in reply to #66467)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
I don't know - I am afraid if I ended up in Estes Park I would have to call my boss and let him know I have to triple the amount of time we thought it would take on-site...

Enjoy that trip... Another thought - work nights, enjoy the daylight on the bike.

Moose381
Posted 2010-08-06 9:55 AM (#66521 - in reply to #66481)

Puddle Jumper

Lillian, Alabama
ScreamingEag1e - 2010-08-05 5:36 PM

take the LONG way home...... make a long way home

If only I could. I live in a corner....Gulf of Mexico to the south....Perdido Bay to the east....swampland to the north. There is only ONE road going in and out. I have to ride 20 miles to just get out of here...and then all the roads are flat and straight. *sigh*

I have to ride 100 miles or so to get to some really good roads and I only seem to find time to do that a couple or three times a week....so I guess that getting to set my own work schedule does have some perks.
radioteacher
Posted 2010-08-06 5:00 PM (#66543 - in reply to #66467)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
My ride to work is just 7.5 miles. Sometimes I go out of my way yo make it longer. That is one reason my mileage is so low at 17,800. Sometimes I get to ride the country side but most of the time I am stuck in town.

My last country ride was only 40 miles round trip. I went to the range to do some shooting. I just took a few handguns since I do not have a gun rack for long arms...yet.

Ride Safe and shoot straight
joe schmoe
Posted 2010-08-09 7:42 AM (#66727 - in reply to #66467)

Tourer

East TN
LOL!! Nice! Luckily I live 22 miles away from work and I usually make it a 44 or 55 miles trip home...Always running late int he morning!!
phoenix9
Posted 2010-08-09 9:14 AM (#66735 - in reply to #66510)

Cruiser

Litchfield Park, AZ
Webhair - 2010-08-06 5:42 AM

I don't know - I am afraid if I ended up in Estes Park I would have to call my boss and let him know I have to triple the amount of time we thought it would take on-site...

Enjoy that trip... Another thought - work nights, enjoy the daylight on the bike.

Trip starts next Monday morning. Phoenix to Albuquerque (ABQ) on Monday with one meeting in the afternoon. 2 meetings on Tuesday morning (one in ABQ and one in Santa Fe) then up to Colorado springs. A couple meetings in CSprings and Denver then up to Estes Park by 4. Thursday is a "field visit" through Rocky Mountain National Park....yeah right....may not want to try to call me that day. I took a vacation day on Friday so I can be left alone as I ride back down to Albuquerque to meet some friends. Saturday will be another easy ride back into Arizona.

........now if I could talk the Company into this kind of work week every week.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™