You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

RECALL-Bell Mag 8 helmets
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

hottierod
Posted 2010-08-09 2:49 PM (#66757)
Subject: RECALL-Bell Mag 8 helmets

Tourer

Sturbridge, Mass
NHTSA says Bell Helmets is recalling 8,000 Mag-8 motorcycle helmets made between September 2006 and March 2010. These helmets fail to conform to impact protection standards. Bell will provide owners with a free replacement helmet. Owners may contact Bell at 1-866-892-6059.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-08-10 11:57 PM (#66872 - in reply to #66757)
Subject: Re: RECALL-Bell Mag 8 helmets

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
Wow; and this works with all Bell Mag-8 helmets or is it only with the recalled ones?

rf43mn
Posted 2010-08-11 7:05 AM (#66883 - in reply to #66757)
Subject: RE: RECALL-Bell Mag 8 helmets

Cruiser

Willmar, MN
Thanks for the notice, I thought "new helmets"...but it is only for xl and xxl sizes. Guess I'll have to buy them.
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-08-12 5:13 PM (#67000 - in reply to #66757)
Subject: Re: RECALL-Bell Mag 8 helmets

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
Ok since the webmasters have removed simongbo's spam I guess we can now treat this thread with the seriousness it deserves.

I'm looking for a new lid. Mine is over 10 years old and beginning to look like I used it for off road racing ,in the 70's.

Virtually everything that I see in the stores has the ubiquitous "fabrigue in Chine" label. Knowing what I know about chinese manufacturing; my guess is that most helmets regardless of brand are probably made in the same 4-5 facilities and probably use the same plastics suppliers and the same resins so.....If this premise is accurate virtually all safety equipment that comes out of China is somewhat suspect.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/ Some interesting test results and perhaps the most surprising is that the NTHSC only manages to test between 40 and 50 helmets a year. I'm not a scientist or a statistician, but that sure looks like less than 1 per week. What's the deal guys, congress only give you one machine?

For all I know these plant managers have figured out how to support their new national mania for Mercedes Benz automobiles by substituting poisoned wheat gluten (dog food) for EPS foam and are recycling all those lead coated Mattel toys as helmet shells.

So the question is where to turn for a good helmet? What do you guys like and why? I'm getting lost in all the "webbike world" videos.

I have a couple of criteria:
Have to be able to wear glasses.
Want it to be relatively quiet.
Wont wear a half helmet or shorty.
Not interested in x-games syle graphics.
I have also decided that perhaps my brain is worth more than $90.00 (thank god my wife isn't on this board or we would never get past this statement).

Other than that I'm open to suggestions. And since this kind of hijacking the thread Ill move my question to another post.

Edited by Tarpits99 2010-08-12 5:27 PM
KDKing
Posted 2010-08-13 12:48 PM (#67065 - in reply to #66757)

Puddle Jumper

Prince George, BC, Canada
Contacted Bell regarding this recall. My helmet is within the parameters stated in the recall. Great to deal with them. They are sending me a prepaid shipping label to send the helmet back. I got to choose a new color and size (no my head didn't get bigger, the old helmet was just a tad too tight). The only drawback is that replacement helmets won't be available until October but since this helmet is rarely used, not a big deal.
Cheers!
hottierod
Posted 2010-08-17 8:51 AM (#67310 - in reply to #66757)

Tourer

Sturbridge, Mass
I missed the spam post.

Bell was nice to deal with,m they indicated it was just over 8000 helmets between sept 06 -Mar 2010 recalled. A small sample did not meet testing standards, hence the recall.

The 2010 modles had already been prodicde and the 2011 production is jsut starting up on XL & XXL sizes, so we had the choice to pick another helmet, get a diff helmet temporarilay or wait till mid October for the new 2011 sizes in Mag 8 come out.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™