You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Coming up to Amish Country
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Birdneckrider
Posted 2010-08-10 7:48 PM (#66844)
Subject: Coming up to Amish Country

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, Virginia
My wife and I are coming up to Amish Country and Gettysburg this weekend, and I need some travel advice:
1) When confronted with the mob in a religious fervor with pitchforks and torches in hand, threatening to exercise the devil out of our otherworldly machine, do I still ask to get my picture taken with their daughters, and do I still offer them a ride?
2) When the ghosts of Gettysburg surround the Vision and offer to transport it over to the other side, do I still refuse, even if they technically are war heroes? I try to be patriotic whenever possible
3.) When my wife asks for Souvenirs from the HD Factory after the tour, can I politely tell her to put the HD logo stuff down so we can save for the elusive Victory branded gear?
4.) I am staying at several B&B's. Is it considered poor form to challenge the rooster to an early morning "wake-off" with his vocal pipes vs. my Victory custom pipes?

We are staying in Lancaster Friday (my 42nd Birthday, yeah, yeah, keep it to yourself) and Saturday nights, then Gettysburg Sunday and Monday nights (and maybe Tuesday night if I can get out of going over to NJ) and coming home on Wednesday. Anyone who would like to join us for exploits is welcome. Any suggestions as where to go/where not to go is very much appreciated-we are supposed to do the ghost tour thing and the Amish thing, but I am ambivalent at best. My wife, of course, is excited as hell. Bring your wife down and drop her off with mine, and then we can go find some twisties! Or Pasties! I am not picky.

Your help and humor are appreciated.

(Glasser family dinner - Aug 8, '10 021.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Glasser family dinner - Aug 8, '10 021.jpg (98KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2010-08-11 7:52 PM (#66939 - in reply to #66844)
Subject: Re: Coming up to Amish Country

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Take us17 to to 15 in warrenton, may be longer but it beats white knuckles on 95th street.

Oh and happy birthday, safe travels and enjoy your new wife. (She'll be one once she gets a good ride on the Vision)

Edited by varyder 2010-08-11 7:53 PM
Birdneckrider
Posted 2010-08-11 8:15 PM (#66944 - in reply to #66844)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Just sat through a dinner with the parents and 91 year old grandmother telling me how crazy we were to be doing this trip on a motorcycle, and how we would surely die, etc. Jesus, I get it-riding a bike is more dangerous than a Lazy Boy. But enough with the "you'll poke your eye out" bullshit! As for the wife, she hates riding but is dying to see Amish Country and Civil War crap, so I figure it is an even trade. See that look of terror in her eyes on the bike? That is the look of acceptance in the knowledge that we are at the max GVWR before we put anything else on the bike (we are each 260 and I will kill anyone who tells her I posted this ) yes, that is my double chin! So I think the trailer is a good move-All Out Cycles is installing the hitch and wiring in the morning along with an oil change, Virginia inspection and brake check (are we supposed to have rear brakes, and is the pedal supposed to go all the way down to the floorboard?) Then we are off to a nice B&B in Lancaster. As to the route, the HarleyRider website has us going up the Eastern Shore, then over to Lancaster. Isn't Warranton in Northern Virginia? If so, then probably a non issue, though originally I was going to do 17 through Tappahannock to Fredericksburg, avoiding 95 like the plague on society that it is! Ok, it was almost obligatory for VaRyder to respond-what about the rest of you? There have got to be some PA riders that can give me some suggestions-we will be there for 5 days!
varyder
Posted 2010-08-11 8:26 PM (#66946 - in reply to #66844)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
...must not be from Va, Warrenton is not NoVa, and 15 rolls you good scenery north of Leesburg to Gettysburg. 13 ain't bad either, and traffic can get a little heavy around Salisbury, either way you won't be disappointed. You're in good riding country and another search on the web will net you some good roads to ride, and places to see.
Birdneckrider
Posted 2010-08-11 9:40 PM (#66953 - in reply to #66844)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Not from Virginia? Thems is fighten words! Born in Depaul Hospital in Norfolk in 1968. Undergrad at GWU (DC is still VA, don't care what you say!) and grad at Regent University. Lived in Virginia Beach for 41 or 42 years-lifeguard and Paramedic and life member at 2 Va Beach rescue squads. Warrenton, VA is in Northern VA to the left, er, west of Manassas, where I used to work, at the intersection of Routes 15 and 17. Leesburg is north of there....wait a minute, you were punking me, weren't you? Ok, I'm the weanie. Fine. Yes, I use that route to get to my friend in Front Royal when I go out there. I will do just about anything to avoid the inner loop. I used to love watching cars stacked up on 66 when I would ride from Arlington to Manassass in the morning and then ride back in the evening, against traffic each way! I may not be many things-skinny, bright, humble, sexy, athletic , a good breeder, possessor of good manners, etc.....but I AM definitely a Virginian! SO you think you got what it takes? Look at my handle and tell me where I live-without the use of google! Probably still too easy. Just trying to get the old blood pressure going. Gotta test out these new meds!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-08-12 12:49 AM (#66967 - in reply to #66844)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i was just in gettysburg last weekend. nice little ride.
K2V2
Posted 2010-08-12 4:57 AM (#66970 - in reply to #66967)

Cruiser

Northern NJ
The area around Gettysburg and Amish country is beautiful and great riding.
Be respectful of the Amish, they're good people. Give their buggies a wide berth and easy on the throttle when passing. Don't forget to wave.
Be more respectful of the ghosts at Gettysburg. They made the ultimate sacrifice.
varyder
Posted 2010-08-12 7:14 AM (#66972 - in reply to #66970)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I see warrenton as in the north part of Virginia, but not NoVa as defined by the sphere of influence politically. However, urban sprawl has opened up the prospect of what once was pristine countryside within a mere 15 miles of our nations capitol to make even the valley a metropolitan in time. I grew up everything Fairfax, from Fairfax Circle, to Fairfax Station and on to Fairfax and graduated from Fairfax High. And I think your in a hood close to oceana, but everything VB is close to oceana. I lived in hampton and NN for a few years and I think the traffic is even worse than NoVa so I try not to come down that way much, and if I do, it is never on Road Rage Alley.
Birdneckrider
Posted 2010-08-12 7:55 AM (#66974 - in reply to #66844)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Come into the light, Carol Annne....Um, I mean, everything is delightful in Hampton Roads, and our traffic smells light gardenias. These days, I consider everything East of Front Royal to be NOVA, and even Front Royal is being considered a bedroom community-one of my buddies from school commutes from his "hollow" to DC 3 times a week! Yes, my hood is in the flight path of runway 39B, and I can tell whether the pilots above have shaved or ran out of Edge Gel when they pass overhead. No more afterburners, since the former CO lives in the neighborhood! Hopefully we will avoid all that traffic "Chaserai" if we get up that way today. Waiting on the call from the dealer to pick up and pay, and then we shall look at the weather.
varyder
Posted 2010-08-12 8:21 AM (#66976 - in reply to #66844)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
...don't bother looking at the weather, ride, captain, ride!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™