You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

New Blog post on Victory-Riders Network
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Jedi Jeff
Posted 2010-09-23 11:17 AM (#70186)
Subject: New Blog post on Victory-Riders Network

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Just an FYI, I've published a new blog post in the Victory-Riders Network in regards to Alex Taylor's article on CNN Money, "Harley-Davidson's aging biker problem".

Please give it a read: http://vrnetwork.ning.com/profiles/blogs/hd-where-did-all-the-rider...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
hmd520
Posted 2010-09-23 11:44 AM (#70191 - in reply to #70186)
Subject: Re: New Blog post on Victory-Riders Network

Cruiser

Tucson , AZ
Great article..Jedi. I feel that Harley is trying to go after too much of the market.. Kinda the old saying " dont move on to the next project...until you have perfected the first". I feel they are trying to build way to many designs which goes deep into the pocket.
Victory has gone slow and not tried to burn up the market in every angle. Its true... the customers are caring Victory to where it needs to be.
But only due to making a great product.
I feel Harley has alot to learn... dont get me wrong. I like a nice custom Harley... but they are getting fewer, and fewer. No one can afford to go past stock now days. Not much for $20K compared to a victory for $20K.
CowboyVision
Posted 2010-09-23 3:45 PM (#70202 - in reply to #70186)

Cruiser

Meadow, Texas
Is it just me or do other see the VRN with the dark gray font imposed inside a black box. I can't read the damn thing unless I highlight everything and I don't care to do that. Or again it is just me. I quit going to that site because of this.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2010-09-23 3:52 PM (#70203 - in reply to #70202)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
LarryinMD - 2010-09-23 3:45 PM

Is it just me or do other see the VRN with the dark gray font imposed inside a black box. I can't read the damn thing unless I highlight everything and I don't care to do that. Or again it is just me. I quit going to that site because of this.

Larry can you take a screenshot and email it to me (webmaster@vision-riders).

lennyb
Posted 2010-09-23 7:21 PM (#70209 - in reply to #70186)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Jeff,

To a degree I can agree with you regarding Victory being able to survive through through this particularly difficult time by maintaining a lean operation. Where I have concern is with the ability of the dealers to keep their doors open and expand if they can't continue to increase sales. I am disappointed that their isn't a greater effort on the part of Victory to bring familiarity to the name.

I'm proud to own a Vision, and it is really neat to have so many people ask about it, but why is it that I am surprised when someone actually knows that Victory is a MC manufacturer? I want everyone who is interested in motorcycles to know that. Heck, it's too often that I see a Victory, other than certain models, and I'm not even sure that it is one.

Let people see the name on the bikes (I painted the VICTORY letters on my trunk so people can read it). When someone buys a bike put a jacket on them with VICTORY across the back, as well as a bold decal for their cage. Decide on a simple but bold signature color scheme and play it up on apparel, the wedge, decals, helmets, the bikes, etc.. Identify some of the well attended organized rides and put riders in them who just happen to have some literature, cards, victory trinkets to give to those who come over to admire it (they do come). My guess is that these and a few other things could be accomplished to increase the company exposure and still be lean.

No, they don't need to be striving to capture a huge portion of the market, but it wouldn't hurt to be better recognized within the market, and that could help build a stronger dealer base.

VisionTex
Posted 2010-09-23 8:53 PM (#70216 - in reply to #70209)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Over the next decade, it will all be changed. The future only knows what will be. Harley will be reshaped, they have the cash and dealer network to do it. Victory will be also changed in the next 10 years, but they will be with us. These are tuff times for the dealers, I've talked to them and they are concerned. Proper promotion by both Victory and Harley will help the dealers, although there is one dealer I would like to see give it up. Victory brand recognition is coming on. The Vision has done that all by itself, in my opinion, it defines the Victory Motorcycle Co. As long as they have the Vision, they will be know...world wide. On my ride up to Pittsburg this week, a young man was circling my SSG when I came out of the gas station. He was soooo excited, and told me all about the bike. Someday, that young man will have a Victory! Long live Victory and Harley, two great American companies.
RedRider
Posted 2010-09-24 6:02 AM (#70222 - in reply to #70186)

Visionary

I see similarities between Microsoft and HD. HD has lots of bikes that don't fit in the new market. MS made plenty of versions that did not do so well. MS came out with Win 7 and it's a great "new" OS. If HD can do something equal they will fair well.
Victory is like Apple with Steve in the building. Making things that the customer base wants and that new customers desire.
Like many companies HD needs someone to kickass in the front office but they are like many old companies that don't except change well. Maybe it's time for Willy to move over and let someone new take the reins. Someone like Mark Blackwell. Someone that has a a M/C background that people want to find out about. Someone that will listen to the younger designers and engineers.
Victory still has some faults but over the years they have proven they listen to the customers. Of course change doesn't happen as fast as some would wish.
I can remember when I never saw a Victory commercial on TV now I even see them for Polaris. Now all we need it Kim K's big butt riding a Victory for her Botox treatment. :P

I look forward to riding Victorys 10 years from now and still having HDs in the group with us.
varyder
Posted 2010-09-24 6:28 AM (#70223 - in reply to #70186)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I think all manufacturers run the risk of becoming something they are not ahead of their time. One thing I think that Harley failed to realize is that the poplulation changes atitudes as well and in numbers. They went whole hog and targeted the masses of older, money in the pocket, I always wanted to ride a motorcycle and built an empire over something that would wain away. Couple with that and the economic downturn makes folks reevaluatue their spending. It was not Harley alone in all of this as you travel the country you can see the empty shells of empires in the buildings falling down, or reorganizing. Thinking out of the box means more than just being innovative, but knowing the trend of the people.

Harley just didn't see it coming, and Victory wasn't there yet to do what Harley did, so by default they have weathered the storm, I think. I'm not in board meetings, but I'm sure there are a few ideas on chalkboards with behemoth dealerships with Victory embossed at the top around the country.

So my point is this, Victory is what it is, if they start becoming something they are not with over-the-top ideas they will never become a shadow of what Harley has been. But if they continue to build the best bike on the planet and demands begin to exceed production, I hope they will be smart enough to keep the inventory up to meet the demand, a basic economic principle that Harley didn't heed to and went excess.

Victory doesn't need to be the biggest, only the best!

Edited by varyder 2010-09-24 6:45 AM
Breaker
Posted 2010-09-24 12:42 PM (#70247 - in reply to #70186)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Nice analysis Jeff.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™