You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Bicycle rack for the Vision
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-10-02 4:46 PM (#70824)
Subject: Bicycle rack for the Vision

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
I normally take my dog mountain biking with me so I pull a trailer as discussed in an earlier post.
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4811&pos... only way to travel&highlightmode=1

But, when I don't take the puppy, the trailer is more than I need. So, I wondered if the Vision would handle bicycles cantilevered off the back. Well, it works. The girlfriend and I can both ride to the riding spot, ride, then ride home.

It is made possible with this custom adapter to convert the Hitch Doc hitch to a horizontal hitch.
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7185

(IMAG0242 (resized).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0242 (resized).JPG (94KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
radioteacher
Posted 2010-10-02 5:16 PM (#70827 - in reply to #70824)
Subject: Re: Bicycle rack for the Vision

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
That is a nice hitch converter!

Ride Safe
varyder
Posted 2010-10-02 8:18 PM (#70836 - in reply to #70824)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
love it! That's having a vision, no pun intended. Of course, I don't need to remind you to watch that side clearance
loren2
Posted 2010-10-02 11:46 PM (#70848 - in reply to #70824)

Cruiser

Bullhead City, AZ
Thats even better than converting the hitch to carry the golf bag!!!
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-10-03 6:39 PM (#70890 - in reply to #70824)
Subject: RE: Bicycle rack for the Vision

Iron Butt

Side clearance is not an issue because the Vision itself is so wide. The bicycles are only 6 inches wider on each side than the Vision. As for cornering clearance, the adapter has 1 inch additional rise over the stock draw bar.
bigfoot
Posted 2010-10-03 7:31 PM (#70900 - in reply to #70824)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
Very interesting.
What I need though is a shotgun rack when I go shoot sporting clays.
radioteacher
Posted 2010-10-04 5:00 AM (#70922 - in reply to #70824)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
bigfoot,

I have been thinking about that issue. I was thinking about making a mount by removing the rear floorboards since it is a great place for the mount point of the front of an ATV style gun case. The back mount point could be off of the rear grab handles. This would only work without a passenger.

Doing the same to the other side will let you carry two guns.

Ride Safe
varyder
Posted 2010-10-04 6:10 AM (#70928 - in reply to #70922)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
radioteacher - 2010-10-04 6:00 AM

bigfoot,

I have been thinking about that issue. I was thinking about making a mount by removing the rear floorboards since it is a great place for the mount point of the front of an ATV style gun case. The back mount point could be off of the rear grab handles. This would only work without a passenger.

Doing the same to the other side will let you carry two guns.

Ride Safe

Pictures, Pictures, I want to see this "Wild West" machine! Don't forget the tassles!

(guns.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments guns.jpg (25KB - 0 downloads)
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-10-04 7:22 AM (#70929 - in reply to #70824)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Ha ha ha. That's a great pic with the gun mount. I don't think that would be legal in most states but I'd like to try. I just so happen to have a good ol' 30-30 lever action with the saddle ring for mounting... But one thought about a gun rack: What about all those hitch caddies made for mounting a set of golf clubs? Ive seen them moslty on gold wings and a few Glides (I live adjacent to a big golf course In Hutchinson, Ks now, so I notice these things, it's a shame I can't stand golfing). Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to gut the bag to throw a shotgun(s) and/or rifle(s)? Just a thought. BTW OP. Nice job with the bike mounts. How does the bike handle air wash behind rigs and stuff? Did it make a big difference?
radioteacher
Posted 2010-10-04 7:26 AM (#70930 - in reply to #70824)
Subject: RE: Bicycle rack for the Vision

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Well at the Republic of Texas rally this year one motorcycle seat stole the show!

**Ride Safe!

** For those with a Single Action Revolver that means loading only five of six rounds. Leave an empty chamber under the hammer. Besides most problems can be resolved without firing a single shot. The resolution of the other problems can quickly be solved with just a single well placed shot!

(motorcycleseat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments motorcycleseat.jpg (92KB - 1 downloads)
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-10-04 1:54 PM (#70956 - in reply to #70824)

Iron Butt

Bigwill5150,
There is really nothing on the bicycles to catch any air wind. The only problem I have found is radial wobble. At slow speed turns (less than 10mph) I can feel some oscillation in the handle bars after I hit a bump. The feeling is very similar to riding with the E3 rear tire low on pressure. Once I roll on the throttle the wobble goes away. It's hardly noticable with only one bicycle which is how I normally travel. And, I found that it is more noticable with lighter road bicycles vs heavier mountain bikes. Still trying to figure out why. ??? Can anyone explain that?

Overall, the setup works great. I use it at least once per week.
trailbarge
Posted 2010-10-05 11:13 AM (#71039 - in reply to #70956)

Tourer

Goldsboro, NC
victoryvisiontour - 2010-10-04 2:54 PM
And, I found that it is more noticable with lighter road bicycles vs heavier mountain bikes. Still trying to figure out why. ??? Can anyone explain that?

2 guesses:
1) Your overall diameter is smaller on the MTB, so it sits further down on the wheel hoop, locating it more positively.
2) The cross-sectional diameter is larger on the MTB, so it fills the hoop better, locating it more positively.

Special bonus guess: you probably tie up the bikes a bit differently, so the handlebars might be more rigidly located, too.

Conclusion: Seeing a bike rack on a motorcycle is just plain nuts. I'm not criticizing.... I'm impressed.
Candyman
Posted 2010-10-05 2:06 PM (#71053 - in reply to #70824)

Cruiser

West Knoxville TN
Another amazing vision, vision.
Big Vic
Posted 2010-10-08 7:25 AM (#71254 - in reply to #70824)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Bicycles on a motorcycle...............something just seems wrong with that. I'm too lazy to peddle a bike that's why I bought one with a motor. Anyway, it's great to see how creative people are making their VV fit their lifestyle. I'm sure this set-up gets a lot of looks going down the freeway!
varyder
Posted 2010-10-08 7:51 AM (#71260 - in reply to #70824)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
my opinion of motorcycle riding before I started riding again was based off of other people's opinion. Since then I find that you can do anything with a motorcycle if you put your mind too it. I'm overly impressed at the ingenuity of some people that goes beyond convention and safely employ their idea.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™