You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Got slow speed skills?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

radioteacher
Posted 2010-10-24 12:00 AM (#72204)
Subject: Got slow speed skills?

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Here is a video of rider practicing slow speed skills on a Vision. Is it anyone from here?

He is doing a fine job controlling his Vision! Just be careful putting a foot down....the rear tipovers can destroy an ankle!

Hey everyone.....go practice!

Edited by radioteacher 2010-10-24 12:03 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
donetracey
Posted 2010-10-24 2:02 AM (#72208 - in reply to #72204)
Subject: Re: Got slow speed skills?

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Not bad - a little faster than I am when I do that - or I'm just old and slow....
aaronrkelly
Posted 2010-10-24 2:11 AM (#72209 - in reply to #72204)
Subject: RE: Got slow speed skills?

Tourer

Moravia, IA

Im not claiming to be the worlds best rider.....but I dont think thats a fine job.  Many of us can turn a Vision around inside the width of a city street or a couple parking spaces.   Slow down....steer right quickly, left to full lock.....hard parts in full contact with the ground....modulate clutch and throttle....power out the other end.

Took me a good 30 mins in a parking lot to learn.....but its relatively easy to pickup.� Not the best video but this gets the idea across.

I have a couple of this guys DVDs.....good stuff.

Edited by aaronrkelly 2010-10-24 2:18 AM
aaronrkelly
Posted 2010-10-24 2:19 AM (#72210 - in reply to #72204)

Tourer

Moravia, IA
However it did take me damn near 30 mins to figure out how to post a video.....ha ha ha....I suck.
varyder
Posted 2010-10-24 5:18 AM (#72211 - in reply to #72204)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
thanks for sharing...
cw1115
Posted 2010-10-24 8:15 AM (#72229 - in reply to #72204)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I bought his DVD and practiced quite a bit. I can make some pretty tight turns on the Vision. His "Ride Like A Pro" DVD is a good investment.
chesshiretuna
Posted 2010-10-24 8:16 AM (#72230 - in reply to #72204)

Tourer

I just finnished this course called "Ride Like A Pro". By the end of the course we were turning inside of the first video. It is taght by a motorcycle
officer in our area. They have a national network so you can find one close to you. I have been riding since my teens and found it helpfull for controling my Vision at low speed.
radioteacher
Posted 2010-10-24 8:44 AM (#72233 - in reply to #72204)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
chesshiretuna,

They teach "Ride Like a Pro" in Houston too. Next Spring I am going to take the course.

aaronrkelly,

Posting Videos takes a bit of prep work. I usually go tot he Posting Video post and copy the Link Example that is there....then copy and paste the junk after the "=" in the link and put a "]" on the end.

HOW TO: Add Video to your Post
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5378&pos...

"Square bracket left"video=http://www.youtube.com/v/xxxxxxxxxxx"Square bracket right"

Replace the xxxxxxxxxxx with the end of the videos URL and a ] to close it out. for the video above I used "WEpEU6lAtO0]"

About the video above.......he is practicing. We all should practice regardless of are current skills. It takes time to get the confidence to know that the bike will pull you back up.

I still do not like being on the lock in a turn and I might scrape the highway pegs but not the hard parts. Even so I can still do 20 foot turns.

cw1115,

I have the video "Ride Like a Pro V" and I learned a lot from it"

Here is my Vision in the 24 foot wide by 60 foot long MSF Box. I can do the 20 foot wide box but I do not have video of it yet....

Edited by radioteacher 2010-10-24 8:51 AM
dcramer
Posted 2010-10-24 1:35 PM (#72252 - in reply to #72204)

Cruiser

Edmonton AB, Canada
The videos look great. I use (and teach) a technique just like this but slower. Better keep the bike upright as much as possible incase you need to come to a quick stop.
varyder
Posted 2010-10-24 1:50 PM (#72256 - in reply to #72204)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I've been wanting to provide information in relation to some of the things I have found out while riding. There is a ton of "experts" out there, but I think the novice rider gets intimidated with riding, or show-off rides beyond their ability. You bring this out dcramer in the riding technigue of going slower to keep the bike upright in case you have to stop quickly. I didn't share this when it happened about a month ago, but a Harley rider dropped his bike going out of the gas station I just pulled into. It doesn't have anything to do with what he was riding but none the less he was dressed for the part. I pulled up to the pump and was off my bike as he was saddling up. He was going to the exit onto the road as I was at the pump putting my card in, I looked, turned back to the pump and looked again in a split second. He was down already, getting off the bike and working to get it up when two other guys rushed over. I started to laugh on the inside knowing I've yet to do that exact manuever, but at the same time and chided myself because it could have been I just the same. A lot of people fail to realize that riding is a skill and it takes forever dilegence and practise to continue and keep the mastery. Some do it "naturally" others do it by working at it.

Edited by varyder 2010-10-24 1:51 PM
Lv_2_ride
Posted 2010-10-24 3:53 PM (#72263 - in reply to #72204)

Puddle Jumper

The local MSF guys do classes in a parking lot not far from my house. They have the boxes and courses painted on the lot since the business went belly up a long time ago. It's nice to get out there and do some low speed maneuvers. I sure did it many times right after getting the Vision since I was used to the weight of my JP. I'd rather have a near miss or a tip over in a parking lot practicing than out in public, at a rally, or with my wife or son on the back.
radioteacher
Posted 2010-10-24 5:37 PM (#72269 - in reply to #72263)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Lv_2_ride - 2010-10-24 3:53 PM

The local MSF guys do classes in a parking lot not far from my house. They have the boxes and courses painted on the lot since the business went belly up a long time ago. It's nice to get out there and do some low speed maneuvers. I sure did it many times right after getting the Vision since I was used to the weight of my JP. I'd rather have a near miss or a tip over in a parking lot practicing than out in public, at a rally, or with my wife or son on the back.

+1 You got that right...
g1nomad
Posted 2010-10-27 12:12 PM (#72452 - in reply to #72204)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
I do a pretty good job of manuvering, but never practice outside of my actually driving.
The internet has taught me a lot from counter steering at road speed to keeping the rear
brake applied while giving the bike gas (and abusing clutch IMO) at slow speeds.

U-turns: I am probably above average, but hell, why do we have to out do cars?
Why not a 3 point turn, just like a car does? What is all the parking lot practice about?
I only take paths a car takes. When was the last you took your car to a parking lot to practice?

Herb
chesshiretuna
Posted 2010-10-27 4:15 PM (#72462 - in reply to #72204)

Tourer

Why no 3 point turns? Because sometimes the road crown is so high that you can not back the bike up......not that that has ever happened to me...
varyder
Posted 2010-10-27 4:31 PM (#72464 - in reply to #72204)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
surely you gest, the gentleman from S. C.? I know that was a rethorical question that needs no answer.
Wizard523
Posted 2010-10-27 4:55 PM (#72465 - in reply to #72204)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
I took the Ride Like a Pro course as well; it was great and highly recommended. Unfortunately, the only thing my video showcased was the excellent ability of the tip over's to protect my a** and the bike as well.

Lot's of practice ...... I still need lot's of practice!!!
RhodeTrip
Posted 2010-10-27 7:04 PM (#72469 - in reply to #72204)

Cruiser

Rhode Island
I set up the cones in a parking lot did the slalom spaced 12' feet apart, couldn't make the turns look as big of a swoop as the Motorman video but gotter done. Did the figure 8 the U-turn and the the full circle. Was feeling pretty good, the Motorman would have been proud, then I decided to change the direction to right hand turns; what the f**k happened to my nice smooth tight turns, couldn't maintain a steady throttle at full lock at all. Now I'm noticing that in the videos they do most of the tight turns to the left. Do I suck that bad or is this normal?

Jim

Edited by RhodeTrip 2010-10-27 7:05 PM
varyder
Posted 2010-10-27 7:08 PM (#72470 - in reply to #72204)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
...that's normal as most would have the same problem.
K2V2
Posted 2010-10-27 7:44 PM (#72472 - in reply to #72469)

Cruiser

Northern NJ
RhodeTrip - 2010-10-27 8:04 PM

I set up the cones in a parking lot did the slalom spaced 12' feet apart, couldn't make the turns look as big of a swoop as the Motorman video but gotter done. Did the figure 8 the U-turn and the the full circle. Was feeling pretty good, the Motorman would have been proud, then I decided to change the direction to right hand turns; what the f**k happened to my nice smooth tight turns, couldn't maintain a steady throttle at full lock at all. Now I'm noticing that in the videos they do most of the tight turns to the left. Do I suck that bad or is this normal?

Jim

Jim, I'm pretty poor on slow speed left handers and simply horrible on right handers. lol
SongFan
Posted 2010-10-27 8:15 PM (#72475 - in reply to #72204)
Subject: RE: Got slow speed skills?

Visionary

Memphis
When American bikers go overseas and rent bikes in countries that drive on the left hand side of the road, the hardest thing for them to master is doing a u-turn to the right.

Edited by SongFan 2010-10-27 8:18 PM
tonyj
Posted 2010-10-28 12:03 PM (#72499 - in reply to #72204)

Cruiser

Salina, KS
That's me in the video radioteacher posted. This was only my second time working on this manuever after watching a couple MO State Troopers practicing in this same lot. I can do the full lock turn ok, but I really have issues with getting the bike to lay over at such slow speeds. I tried again this past weekend doing the same manuever except I carried much more speed in to the turn & it seemed to instill confidence that I could pull out of it. I'll keep working on it until I can master it or burn my clutch up....which ever comes first.
radioteacher
Posted 2010-10-28 6:51 PM (#72533 - in reply to #72204)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
tonyj,

Years ago a close friend of mine that taught English and Math at the college level during the day and Karate at night would tell me,"practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!"

You are doing fine. It takes time and a lot of practice to get the confidence to KNOW that the engine can pull you up out of a every hard turn every single time.

Just the other morning I had "a little doubt" that I was pulling out of the hard turn when the friction zone was a further out then I felt it should be.

Rather then doing the instinctive thing of "HITTING THE BRAKE....STOP!!!" Which is just a basic "Survival Reaction" that blinked in my mind. I slowly added power and let the clutch out until it caught....which pulled me up and out of the turn.

You are doing fine.....keep up the good work!

I cannot say it enough...Get the "Ride Like a Pro V" video. Motorman explains riding better then anyone I have ever heard or seen before. Plus, it is a fantastic value at only $29.95.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Hey I should get money back on an endorsement.....but who cares about that....I just want everyone to take care and ride safe!
tonyj
Posted 2010-10-28 10:17 PM (#72566 - in reply to #72533)

Cruiser

Salina, KS
10-4 on the practice part. I know most of my problem is between my ears - lol. I spoke at length with the Troopers that were there before & they are "encouraged" to practice every day they ride. I also noticed that their fairings & bags were pretty scarred up, you guessed it, they dump them on occasion too. They were on H-D's, & one of them said he thought Victory was offering a Police Bike based on the XC platform. He knew all about Vics lower center of gravity & handling ability....but followed that up by saying Missouri is looking to buy Kawasaki to replace their current mounts.
cw1115
Posted 2010-11-10 6:30 AM (#73277 - in reply to #72204)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I haven't practiced in a while. The apron is 25 feet wide and 52 feet between the cones (only because that'e where the expanion joint was). It's about 2 feet narrower toward the road. No doubt I can make it smaller, but if I dropped the bike in front of that crowd I'd find it covered in bubble wrap or training wheels mocked up on it ot something. The "head and eyes" taught in the ride like a pro vidie really works. I more you get you head turned and look where you want to go, the tighter you will turn. The flip side is you drive where you look, so if you are looking and the edge of the concrete (or a curb, pothole ect) you will drive right into it.

Edited by cw1115 2010-11-10 6:32 AM
tonyj
Posted 2010-11-10 11:42 AM (#73287 - in reply to #72204)

Cruiser

Salina, KS
Impressive! You're making it look way easier than it is for sure.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™