You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

VICTORY VS HARLEY SEGMENTS ON U-TUBE
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

VisionTex
Posted 2010-11-21 1:00 PM (#73988 - in reply to #73976)
Subject: RE: VICTORY VS HARLEY SEGMENTS ON U-TUBE

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Watched all five segments, all very interesting. Looks like a very nice dealership, that's the important thing, Mike is really into Victory. If the owner really likes what he is doing, then your going to have a good dealer. As for the stator, mine went out at ~52000 miles. If you have a stator going out, you will see a slow drop in voltage from the normal 14.2v while going down the road. Once the voltage gets down to ~12v, your running on the battery and your limited, better be close to home at that point. Mine was covered by the extended warranty - deductable. The oil change was included in the coverage...but that's when they stripped out the drain plug, love them certified mechanics!
There are few Harley riders that will change to a Victory based on a better bike motor...they could give a flip.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lennyb
Posted 2010-11-21 1:30 PM (#73990 - in reply to #73969)
Subject: Re: VICTORY VS HARLEY SEGMENTS ON U-TUBE

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Thomas,

Didn't notice a drop with the voltmeter. First indication was slow crank when starting followed by low battery light staying on for a couple of seconds after it started. Have to confess to not being that observant of the meter prior to realizing I needed to watch it.

Do know now that when the charging system fails the voltmeter continues to show whatever charge is in the battery. While that is good to know, it would also be nice to know that a problem exist before the battery has less than 10.5 volts required for starting.

Don't know what you might mean by electric mods, but I am using an isolator to power the SongFan trunk light mod and trailer lights.

I'll see about providing pics.

Two previous warranty jobs to address the gear indicator did include a fluid change, but I'm thinking that this one is on me.

Edited by lennyb 2010-11-21 1:32 PM
varyder
Posted 2010-11-21 1:52 PM (#73992 - in reply to #73976)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
SongFan - 2010-11-21 11:03 AM

On one hand, I love being informed and knowing as much as I can about other bikes.??On the other hand, all the stuff Mike talks about in the video has nothing to do with why a guy will buy a?Harley?over a Victory.? I wouldn't be surprised at all if the other guy in the video ended up getting the Street Glide.? Performance, reliability, handling, engineering, tip-overs, (the list goes on) has nothing to do with why people pick Harley.?

It just amazes me how much those guys pay for a stock bike that needs?so much?work ($$$) right off the bat.? I would be very interested to see how money and maintenance VaRyder would have shelled out on a bone-stock Ultra over the last three years/85,000 miles.

I would have hate to see what it would have cost on a HD, but my guess is 1) I'd still be riding a GoldWing, or 2) I wouldn't be riding at all because the wife unit would have instisted I sell it. However, giving all things consideration is that I flat out love to ride, so lets say I had the money to maintain the HD, chance are I would have had that many miles. But I also think that I would be physically hurting more. The old goldwing almost did me in riding to texas and back, it was rough. When I rode to Texas and back on the Vision, I never missed a beat in riding. When I went to Cali and back, staying out there for two weeks, the jag lag got to me, as those who went with me. But on the Vision, I never think about the rest stops, only the gas and sleep stops, unlike the Wing. That's another funny thing, when I talk to BMWer and Wing riders on long trips they talk of rest stops. When I'm on the road, I always catch the riders when they stop for gas taking extra time for resting. To me, the selling point of the Vision has always been the comfort, the dependability and power is a side perk.
SongFan
Posted 2010-11-21 2:07 PM (#73994 - in reply to #73917)

Visionary

Memphis
Just makes me wonder if you could have even logged 3 years/85,000 miles on an original stock motor (no upgrades allowed).  Even if stuff was covered under warranty, I'm guessing it would have been down a significant amount of the time and you couldn't have gotten that number miles out of it.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if it would have averaged out to $500/month above and beyond what you spent on routine maintenance/wear items for the Vision. 
wibiker
Posted 2010-11-21 3:49 PM (#73995 - in reply to #73917)

Cruiser

not far from hustler wisconsin
every year a bunch of us get together from all over the country. the last three years someone on a HD has had to find out what it is like to get a stator changed in a state far from home.

not to be outdone though. i needed tires for my kingpin. i was 1900 miles into a 5000 mile trip. i had to buy the tires at a Harley dealer, the v rod takes the 180 18 but they wouldn't change it for three days as they had Harley first. the Honda dealer would do the work right away but didn't have the tires...so i had to buy the tires at Harley, and then get them put on at Honda... lost a day. so i am not sure what the moral is but i can say for sure that hd has a stator problem, they ignore it cause it usually doesn't fail in warranty, and die hard hd fans will be able to tell you about their stator change....
Thomas
Posted 2010-11-21 3:59 PM (#73996 - in reply to #73990)

Central Wisconsin

lennyb - 2010-11-21 1:30 PM Thomas, Didn't notice a drop with the voltmeter. First indication was slow crank when starting followed by low battery light staying on for a couple of seconds after it started. Have to confess to not being that observant of the meter prior to realizing I needed to watch it. Do know now that when the charging system fails the voltmeter continues to show whatever charge is in the battery. While that is good to know, it would also be nice to know that a problem exist before the battery has less than 10.5 volts required for starting. Don't know what you might mean by electric mods, but I am using an isolator to power the SongFan trunk light mod and trailer lights. I'll see about providing pics. Two previous warranty jobs to address the gear indicator did include a fluid change, but I'm thinking that this one is on me.

Lennyb,

Good information on the voltmeter/battery. 

I also have isolator/converter wired in for trailer wiring.

I have thought about cutting out the R/R plug and hardwire (solder) it together, thus eliminating any conductive issues,between the stator and the R/R.

The R/R plug is located in probably one of the dirtiest areas.

I was pleased to find out today that inside the R/R plug was clean. I added some di-electric grease around the rubber seal and on the metal plug contact points.

hoosiervic
Posted 2010-11-21 4:17 PM (#73998 - in reply to #73992)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
varyder - 2010-11-21 2:52 PM SongFan - 2010-11-21 11:03 AM

On one hand, I love being informed and knowing as much as I can about other bikes.??On the other hand, all the stuff Mike talks about in the video has nothing to do with why a guy will buy a?Harley?over a Victory.? I wouldn't be surprised at all if the other guy in the video ended up getting the Street Glide.? Performance, reliability, handling, engineering, tip-overs, (the list goes on) has nothing to do with why people pick Harley.?

It just amazes me how much those guys pay for a stock bike that needs?so much?work ($$$) right off the bat.? I would be very interested to see how money and maintenance VaRyder would have shelled out on a bone-stock Ultra over the last three years/85,000 miles.

I would have hate to see what it would have cost on a HD, but my guess is 1) I'd still be riding a GoldWing, or 2) I wouldn't be riding at all because the wife unit would have instisted I sell it. However, giving all things consideration is that I flat out love to ride, so lets say I had the money to maintain the HD, chance are I would have had that many miles. But I also think that I would be physically hurting more. The old goldwing almost did me in riding to texas and back, it was rough. When I rode to Texas and back on the Vision, I never missed a beat in riding. When I went to Cali and back, staying out there for two weeks, the jag lag got to me, as those who went with me. But on the Vision, I never think about the rest stops, only the gas and sleep stops, unlike the Wing. That's another funny thing, when I talk to BMWer and Wing riders on long trips they talk of rest stops. When I'm on the road, I always catch the riders when they stop for gas taking extra time for resting. To me, the selling point of the Vision has always been the comfort, the dependability and power is a side perk.

I have to agree with both you guys on this one. I love researching things before I buy and videos like these can be a source of some real info.

I think when you step back and look at what is going on in these videos, you must take it all with a grain of salt. Remember, as nice a guy as Mike Schultz is you have to keep in mind that he is first and foremost a salesman, and we all know that at the very least a salesman is prone to a certain amount of hyperbole or exaggeration, especially if they truly love the product line they sell.

I think the true value of the videos referred to is as someone mentioned earlier the list of factual differences that separate the two basic designs as they are delivered from the factory. That coupled with the overall cost of ownership, let’s say for instance average dollars / 1000 miles ridden, and you begin to get a good set of sound data to make an educated choice of which bike to invest in.

Now add in the long term track record of reliability that Victory is well on its way to establishing, and I believe any logic driven person would be able to make a choice that cannot be argued with.

Now you will notice that I didn’t say anything about nostalgia, or emotion or any other ethereal thing that comes from the gut. Let’s face it, certain people will do some very strange things when they allow themselves to make decisions based on emotion or passion or image or even “love”. So that being said people will always buy and ride the bike that they have their heart set on, regardless of the facts or the exaggerations that will always be presented by the sales guy.

Nothing is worse than going out for a ride with someone that absolutely hates what they ride, believe me they will bring you down.  On the other hand no matter what your buds ride, if they love their bike, even with all its shortcomings, let them be and have fun out there. Share stories honestly, laugh, analyze, explore the country and have great times together. Most of all don’t knock their ride, after all it’s kind of like dissing their girl in a way and we all know where that will get you.

As for me, and I think this holds true for most of us defined by the demographic that are buying the Vics, I will always do my homework and try to make the best buy for my money, but most of all it must be reliable and absolutely must be comfortable. For me this adds up to one thing........ fun fun fun for evey mile I ride!

XRsteve
Posted 2010-11-21 4:19 PM (#73999 - in reply to #73917)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I didn't watch the video with the HP comparison numbers, but if he was talking Victory crank numbers vs Harley rear tire numbers, that's just more Kool Aid bull shit. Hell the Victory is alot more powerful even if they would use a rear wheel to rear wheel comparison, no use juicing the numbers.........From what I've learned HD 96" twincams make about 68-70rwhp, 103" twincams make about 74-77rwhp and our Vision 106" motors about 82-85rwhp.............
varyder
Posted 2010-11-21 4:58 PM (#74003 - in reply to #73998)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
hoosiervic - 2010-11-21 5:17 PM

On the other hand no matter what your buds ride, if they love their bike, even with all its shortcomings, let them be and have fun out there. Share stories honestly, laugh, analyze, explore the country and have great times together. Most of all don?t knock their ride, after all it?s kind of like dissing their girl in a way and we all know where that will get you.

That's it right there...! Thanks hootervac!
tralphaz
Posted 2010-11-21 5:54 PM (#74007 - in reply to #73970)

Tourer

Arkainzeye - 2010-11-21 7:35 AM

where did it say those HP numbers were from a rear tire and a crank?

This from the HD website:

2010 CVO Street Glide 110 engine torque 115ft. lbs.@ 3750 rpm.
2010 Ultra limited 103CI engine torque 102 ft. lbs. @ 3500 rpm.
2010 Fat Boy Lo 96 cu.in. engine torque 93.67 lbs.torque @ 3000rpm.
their site doesn't show any HP #'s.

Edited by tralphaz 2010-11-21 5:56 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-11-21 6:23 PM (#74008 - in reply to #74007)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
tralphaz - 2010-11-21 5:54 PM

Arkainzeye - 2010-11-21 7:35 AM

where did it say those HP numbers were from a rear tire and a crank?

This from the HD website:

2010 CVO Street Glide 110 engine torque 115ft. lbs.@ 3750 rpm.
2010 Ultra limited 103CI engine torque 102 ft. lbs. @ 3500 rpm.
2010 Fat Boy Lo 96 cu.in. engine torque 93.67 lbs.torque @ 3000rpm.
their site doesn't show any HP #'s.

thanks good find.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-11-21 6:28 PM (#74009 - in reply to #73917)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
just wondering does anyone know why victory choose to use the "stage1" 106 at 92 HP instead of the graded 97HP stage2 motors in their touring bikes? i thought they were all about cutting down production costs?
XRsteve
Posted 2010-11-21 9:15 PM (#74016 - in reply to #73917)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Good question. Manufacturers answer is usually " heavy touring rigs need more torque " Funny thing is if you lay a dyno graph from a same engine torque motor over a same engine HP motor there's usually not much difference in the torque output but the HP engine will crush it on top end. Just sayin......
XRsteve
Posted 2010-11-22 6:50 AM (#74026 - in reply to #73917)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
One more thing I thought of, Harley hasn't posted HP numbers since the 1970's. I remember in 1973 they claimed 60HP for their 1200cc (74cu in ) Superglide and 62HP for their 1000cc (61 cu in) XLCH Sportster. The Sportster had higher compression and reved higher. I believe HD quit posting HP claims because it was a little embarassing with the high HP outputs of the modern 4 cylinder engines appearing every year. Also if you think about it a 74 cu in shovel head made about 52HP at the wheel and now 37 years and two engine designs later a much bigger 96 cu in Twin Cam makes around 68-70 HP at the tire. Not much progress in the power department, but at least now they don't leave you stranded on the side of the road anymore like the old days. This all coming from a HD person, I still have a 2003 RoadGlide sitting beside my Vision in the garage right now. The truth is the truth and fact are facts..............No Kool Aid.........
jeffmack
Posted 2010-11-22 7:31 AM (#74030 - in reply to #73917)

Iron Butt

here is a dyno result on a not bone dry stock cvo110" and a stock cvo 110" sorry thats one ugly tq curve. for once I am glad my TQ girls curve is flat as a board at 113 tq. all for about half the money

2008 t stick, 6400 ecm lloydz intake cams and VFC 116 HP 113 tq

Cometman
Posted 2010-11-22 1:26 PM (#74053 - in reply to #73917)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Great videos, thanks for sharing!
8-ball
Posted 2010-11-22 7:45 PM (#74073 - in reply to #73917)

Tourer

Green Bay, WI United States
I am lucky enough to have had personal contact with Mike and Nita at AZ Victory, they are buckin out type people and are as straight up as I have ever known, stop in and tell me I am wrong. Just wanted to share with the rest of us Vision Riders on the segments with Mike. The same attitude and treatment is here in WI., A+ Powersports they are the best and they have great customer service.. Family run, there attention to detail is second to none. God Bless all during our "Thanksgiving and Christmas Season", you have a problem with the wording - your a farkin barkin ice hole. Look me up later!!! I promise to deliver.
Glad to see that the Victory Family is imbarking on the next phase of development, High Five to you Mike for taking all of us to the next level, and as always: Ride hard, ride fast, but above all - ride safe......

God Bless,
Wildman
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™