You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Thrust Exhaust Mod detail w/video
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

chappellj
Posted 2010-11-21 9:28 PM (#74017)
Subject: Thrust Exhaust Mod detail w/video

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida

I already referenced this elsewhere, but thought it should be here in Tech. Let me say I am not the originator of this idea. I first read Fargo's post about cherry bombs. Just so happened I found Thrush mufflers at Advance Auto for $19.99 ea. 2 1/4 in and out, 31" overall length, we need around 33-35".

The reason I am posting here, is for record, and this weekend I modified it, so I thought I would share what I think are the improvements that make it a workable solution. I originally installed the 31" Thrush Glasspacks, part no. 24205, which are as I said $19.99 at Advance Auto. I originally tried to use the stock tips from the stock mufflers, but the sound wasn't quite there for me.

I ended up buying a pair of stainless steel exhaust resonator tips. They are 9" long.? I found them at Oreilly's Auto Parts. ?They slide over the end of the muffler then there are bolts that tighten up to hold it in place. The 4" tips work with the size of the heat shield great.

This simplified the install greatly. Gives a small touch of a custom appearance, and wow what sound.

Sound is a funny thing. What are YOU after? For me I have always ridden HD's or V-twins. I am used to having big full strong sound. I don't like straight pipes, or drag pipes, too harsh. I want to hear what I feel when I twist the grip, and I want mindless drivers in their cages looking for me before they see me. I have that and more with this setup. To say I am pleased with how it turned out is an understatement.

I rode 100 miles Saturday and it kept getting better and better. Very low at idle, but thunderous when you are accelerating. The percussion when going under overpasses is awesome. But yet there is no harshness. I have NO popping and if it did anything, it helped the power. I listened to my tunes the whole time with no problem.

I put together a video that shows how they are mounted and a sound clip. Though I used pro microphones, it still doesn't capture the massive sound that is coming out. Again, big sound, not harsh sound. I hope this will help someone else save $$$. The Lord knows we all need a break!

Here it is:

If it doesn't display properly it's here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1nQQPz3NHE

The picture below is the exhaust tip.

(25556.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 25556.jpg (24KB - 52 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
XRsteve
Posted 2010-11-21 10:30 PM (#74019 - in reply to #74017)
Subject: Re: Thrust Exhaust Mod detail w/video

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Hahaha...........Sounds great. Someone will have something bad to say but I think you did a good job. This coming from someone who spent more than 4 times as much on CFR slip-ons.........
radioteacher
Posted 2010-11-21 10:55 PM (#74020 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
That is too cool! I love the mod. If I had a prize for mod of the year it would be a fight between you and the Harbor Freight budget trailer!!!

Here is the video in a frame.

chappellj
Posted 2010-11-22 5:25 AM (#74023 - in reply to #74019)

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
I learned a long time ago that someone will complain about getting a free $20 bill because it wasn't 2 5's and a ten.

I'm not issuing a challenge, but I welcome constructive criticism. Might help the next person do a better job.
chappellj
Posted 2010-11-22 5:26 AM (#74024 - in reply to #74020)

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
radioteacher - 2010-11-21 11:55 PM

That is too cool! I love the mod. If I had a prize for mod of the year it would be a fight between you and the Harbor Freight budget trailer!!!

Here is the video in a frame.

Thanks for the kind words. I used the same code in my post, following the instructions posted at the welcome link. But it doesn't put the frame in. Wish I could figure out why.

Edited by chappellj 2010-11-22 5:27 AM
XRsteve
Posted 2010-11-22 6:06 AM (#74025 - in reply to #74024)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I like it even better the second time I watched it...........
nailer
Posted 2010-11-22 7:33 AM (#74031 - in reply to #74025)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
Great job on the video...very professional!. I went with the cherry bombs. Had I known about the thrush muffers, I could have saved $20. The resonators are a nice touch and finish off the ends nicely. (Nicer looking than the thunder sticks)
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-11-22 7:47 AM (#74032 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
sounds great, looks great and best of all not a $500+ job!!
jeffmack
Posted 2010-11-22 12:35 PM (#74046 - in reply to #74017)

Iron Butt

what a good price, any Dyno or perf info?
chappellj
Posted 2010-11-22 12:37 PM (#74047 - in reply to #74046)

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
Sorry, no. Only my own opinions and seat of the pants.
johnnyvision
Posted 2010-11-22 1:01 PM (#74048 - in reply to #74017)
Subject: RE: Thrust Exhaust Mod detail w/video

Visionary

I went to Thrush site and they do make longer lengths like that Cherry Boom exhaust.
Either way I think you have sold me come spring I am going to look into them the price is sure right.
Kinda funny car tires car exhaust what next? No No don't tell me I don't want to know.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2010-11-22 1:13 PM (#74050 - in reply to #74017)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
As I mentioned to you earlier Joel, that video is SICK! I love the sound of those glasspacks. Thanks for including Vision-Riders in your video.
Have you noticed any mpg changes with the pipes? Did you do any fuel map changes?

Great mod!
chappellj
Posted 2010-11-22 1:24 PM (#74051 - in reply to #74050)

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
Jedi Jeff - 2010-11-22 2:13 PM

As I mentioned to you earlier Joel, that video is SICK! I love the sound of those glasspacks. Thanks for including Vision-Riders in your video.
Have you noticed any mpg changes with the pipes? Did you do any fuel map changes?

Great mod!

Well, being I only have 300 miles on the bike... I won't be a lot of help in the gas mileage dept. Still showing about 44.6 mpg avg. Everything I could find on fuel map changes seems to indicate not necessary for exhaust only. I plan to make my own Top Plate Breather and add Loydz VFC. When the intake is opened up it will definitely lean it up enough to need a re-map. It would also seem that getting the dealer to do a remap is a waste as they use cookie cutter maps with EPA consideration. One of the aftermarket fuel controllers would allow the most accurate tuning, but you need to be running a stock map for those.

I do not have any surging or noticeable differences in performance. If anything it seems to pull a little harder? Maybe just sounds stronger.

Every video I do about the Vision from here out will use the "produced for vision-riders" logo, as long as that is alright by you.

Edited by chappellj 2010-11-22 1:25 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2010-11-22 6:52 PM (#74072 - in reply to #74051)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I think this is really great, thanks for sharing with all the Vision-Riders. Sounds fantastic!
sgiacci
Posted 2010-11-22 8:26 PM (#74075 - in reply to #74017)

Tourer

Be nice if KevinX would chime in, and let us know if these or the cherry bomb could cause motor issues without modifying the mapping.
Thomas
Posted 2010-11-22 9:34 PM (#74081 - in reply to #74017)

Central Wisconsin

Great sound on the video!!!  Nice write up!

Do you think it's louder then the level 1 exhaust?

Don't want to hear my wife say something like "why did you do that!" LOL!

chappellj
Posted 2010-11-23 5:26 AM (#74089 - in reply to #74081)

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
Thomas - 2010-11-22 10:34 PM

Great sound on the video!!!? Nice write up!

Do you think it's louder then the level 1 exhaust?

Don't want to hear my wife say something like "why did you do that!" LOL!

?

I test rode a crossroads with level 1 exhaust. The thrush is most definitely louder than that. A friend of mine who ran an independent shop for a long time (read Harley guy) saw my vision for the first time. Iwas ready for the ridicule but it never came. He was glad to see more American ingenuity. His comment about the exhaust is that it was deep and mellow, sounded strong but not like drag pipes.
Thomas
Posted 2010-11-23 5:42 AM (#74090 - in reply to #74089)

Central Wisconsin

Wish I could hear your set-up in person...must sound GREAT!

Yeah a couple HD friends of mine were surprised how well the Level 1 sounded.

Thanks for the info...

Thomas

Edited by Thomas 2010-11-23 5:43 AM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-11-23 8:04 AM (#74096 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I WISH YOU would have made this video like 2 years sooner... LOL would have saved me a bunch of money over the s1l1
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-11-23 10:19 AM (#74100 - in reply to #74017)

Iron Butt

Nice job on the mod and the video!

I think one of the best things about this particular mod is that you can easily go back to the stock setup if you care to and that ability might be important to those that live in states that do inspections.
varyder
Posted 2010-11-23 10:55 AM (#74104 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
so are you saying do this mod with a remap would be okay?
chappellj
Posted 2010-11-23 12:21 PM (#74109 - in reply to #74104)

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
varyder - 2010-11-23 11:55 AM

so are you saying do this mod with a remap would be okay?

Please, I am no expert. I have had HD's and other bikes for 20 years. I have a set of guidelines I use for each bike.

1. Factory is tuned for EPA, not performance. That means the engine is restricted on the intake and exhaust, so the power is limited.

2. To get the best performance out of a stock v-twin it must breathe. Since you can only push out as much as you can pull into the motor, the greatest effect on leaning out the mix is when you open up the breather. There are many many posts by those more experienced than I, that simply adding slip-ons, which is basically what this is, will have very little effect on the mix, so probably the stock map will work.

If you have the s1l1 remap already, you also have the open breather, right? or K&N, etc. So the map you run is optimized for that. Once I install the breather plate along with the Thrush pipes, I will HAVE to add fuel, or I will be way too lean, which is way worse than running too rich. It has to be addressed either by having the dealer map it, or adding a device like the VFC to provide the right amount of fuel.

For me, based on the conversation with the service manager at my local dealer, I will use a tuner so I can keep it in my own hands. Just like tuning a carb, I need to be able to test the fuel at wide open throttle, check plugs, adjust do it again. Midrange tuning, idle, etc. I don't think the cookie cutter, EPA satisfying maps are gonna put my bike at it's optimum.

So, to answer your question. I put on the Thrush with no changes to the stock map. I do not have surging which would indicate too lean. Everything pulls as smooth as before. Again, I am no expert, I have only my own experience and testing to fall back on.
varyder
Posted 2010-11-23 1:43 PM (#74115 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks, I was just wanting to get a feel for this mod. I'm bone stock and have hi-mileage, so I've gone to the take it a little easier mode, though I'm not afraid to get up and go. I went through one set of pipes already, thankfully second hand, and hardly used since the seller did a near immediate upgrade to the S1L1 (or 2) pipes. If I had known and felt comfortable with this mod, this is the way I would have gone.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-11-23 2:42 PM (#74117 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
ifi was someone looking to do this mod i would NOT bother with purchasing the victory fuel map if they dont already have it.. buy a fuel controller. my s1l1 was still lean as it has to meet EPA regs as well.. (according to my dealer) the only way i got my vision to run the way i wanted to was to purchase a fuel controller.
lennyb
Posted 2010-11-23 8:12 PM (#74139 - in reply to #74017)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Wish I had read the post 2 days earlier. I'm in the middle of the cherry bomb install and had a heck of a time attaching the gatlin tip. Just got it figured out tonight and then came in to read that there was a better option. Nice Job and video!

Speaking of being in the middle of the install, I started it with one side stock and cherry bomb on the other. Pretty impressive comparison.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™