You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Thrust Exhaust Mod detail w/video
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

ridingcowboy
Posted 2011-01-01 3:18 PM (#76438 - in reply to #74017)
Subject: RE: Thrust Exhaust Mod detail w/video

Cruiser

REXBURG IDAHO
i just did the the thrush pipes and the new ends and the factory number for the rol xtreme tips are 582416.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
vegas99
Posted 2011-01-01 5:57 PM (#76447 - in reply to #74017)
Subject: Re: Thrust Exhaust Mod detail w/video

Puddle Jumper

vero beach,fl
I got my tips at discount auto parts
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-01-02 12:59 AM (#76466 - in reply to #76018)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Post pics when you get the 12" tips on, I am curious how far they stick out.
I like the idea of the exhaust taking a few turns to get out to quiet it down a little. Tell me if you notice much difference from no tip/tip.

I am concerned about a lack of backpressure with the Thrush muffler. Only a Dyno will tell if you end up with a mid RPM hole in torque.

Got the mufflers sitting in the garage, just waiting for tips.

Edited by Nozzledog 2011-01-02 1:05 AM
proffsionl
Posted 2011-01-02 6:12 PM (#76499 - in reply to #74017)

Puddle Jumper

Austin, Texas
I'll chime in again...I took a longer ride today and the only thing I have an issue with is that there is a resonance that just gives me a headache after about 30 minutes. It just booms in my head (am I getting old now?) and I will need to find a way to tame it. I'm wondering if adding the 2 1/4" to 2" reducer would have an effect on this. I'm also going to a proper clamp-on tip that seals the exhaust all the way to the end of the tip (I'm using the tip from O'Reilly which just has the three bolts that clamp down on it but leave an opening).

Any ideas are welcome on this!

Thanks!
chappellj
Posted 2011-01-04 5:19 AM (#76604 - in reply to #76499)

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
Glad my post has been helpful to folks. Once again, I am not the originator, just made a video about it.

proffsionl - 2011-01-02 7:12 PM

I'll chime in again...I took a longer ride today and the only thing I have an issue with is that there is a resonance that just gives me a headache after about 30 minutes. It just booms in my head (am I getting old now?) and I will need to find a way to tame it. I'm wondering if adding the 2 1/4" to 2" reducer would have an effect on this. I'm also going to a proper clamp-on tip that seals the exhaust all the way to the end of the tip (I'm using the tip from O'Reilly which just has the three bolts that clamp down on it but leave an opening).

Any ideas are welcome on this!

Thanks!

I used safety wire from one of the 3 bolts to an exhaust mount just to make sure the tips wouldn't decide to let go. I have about 1000 miles with it and I don't see any difference in torque or the way it runs, popping is occasional, usually only when cold.

The drone will always be a problem with loud pipes if you are wearing an over the ear helmet. With my 1/2 head helmet I don't have an issue. I worked extensively on my 3/4 head helmet to quiet it down with my previous bike (which was insanely loud compared to this). I dampened the echo by gluing dense foam in the ear cover area. Nearly stopped all of the annoying noises that bounce around in there.

When I ride for more than a scat accross town I use a light grade of ear plug. I can still hear my intercomm fine, but it protects my ears from the loud noises for extended periods. Learned that working on Airplanes, there isn't anyway to get a new set of ears.
Biscuit
Posted 2011-01-06 12:05 PM (#76755 - in reply to #74017)

Cruiser

Midlothian, Va.
Can anyone tell me if the header pipe fits into the Thrust muffler tightly. I have had a devil of a time getting the back end straight as far as tightness. This is worse than doing plumbing if that's possible and I haven't even torn the bike down yet.

Edited by Biscuit 2011-01-06 12:06 PM
MaxVision
Posted 2011-01-06 12:42 PM (#76758 - in reply to #74017)

Puddle Jumper

Tomball, Texas
I took the mufflers to a muffler shop and had them expand the end of the muffler a little and it seemed to work well.
vegas99
Posted 2011-01-09 6:48 PM (#76942 - in reply to #74017)

Puddle Jumper

vero beach,fl
I just made some cuts about an inch long on the glass pack end and used the clamp to tighten them up
Biscuit
Posted 2011-01-17 8:52 PM (#77472 - in reply to #74017)

Cruiser

Midlothian, Va.

Got mine on today and using the same tips that Dain is using.

?

?

Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-01-17 9:06 PM (#77473 - in reply to #77472)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
sometimes even the marines need help...that when you call in the Army Airborne, more specifically the 82nd

Looks good! I like that set-up and I'd like to hear how it sounds.

Edited by Cap'n Nemo 2011-01-17 9:09 PM

(biscuit_thrush.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments biscuit_thrush.jpg (97KB - 8 downloads)
Biscuit
Posted 2011-01-17 9:20 PM (#77477 - in reply to #77473)

Cruiser

Midlothian, Va.
Cap'n Nemo - 2011-01-17 10:06 PM sometimes even the marines need help...that when you call in the Army Airborne, more specifically the 82nd Looks good! I like that set-up and I'd like to hear how it sounds.At least I can operate an M-16, thanks for helping an old man.
Dain
Posted 2011-01-18 7:25 AM (#77493 - in reply to #74017)

Cruiser

Biscuit, Looks great, I only wish it was warm enough to do mine. How do they sound? Can you post pictures of a side shot I would like to see how well the shieds fit the tips. From that view it looks like they fit great. Exhaust envy Dain
Biscuit
Posted 2011-01-18 8:10 AM (#77495 - in reply to #77493)

Cruiser

Midlothian, Va.

Dain - 2011-01-18 8:25 AM Biscuit, Looks great, I only wish it was warm enough to do mine. How do they sound? Can you post pictures of a side shot I would like to see how well the shieds fit the tips. From that view it looks like they fit great. Exhaust envy DainThanks Dain. They fit perfect to the tips but not as good at the front but is not that noticeable. You either have to use the step up for the tips to match the muffler which will extend the tips even further or do like I did and weld the tips to the muffler. I asked my muffler man about the life of these mufflers and he said on a bike forever so it then was a easy decision to weld. Unless the fit is very tight clamps won't work and the tips will be very loose. The sound, well I've I've always had loud exhaust on my cruisers but because of the wind management on the Vision even in 6th gear they are still loud or maybe I've just gotten use the quiet sound of the OEM exhaust. Here's the picture attempt and I hope the Army won't have to bail me out again.

Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-01-18 8:36 AM (#77496 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
Thanks for taking the dive on this one Biscuit, I really do like this look.

Everything it seems I would like to do is always tomorrow. Hopefully, when I get the need for new mufflers, probably 2 years from now, it will be time to open up my Vision with intake, cams and exhaust for the next 100,000 miles.

If you will, take a step picture of the whole bike, or I hope to see it soon, its about time for a lunch ride.
ridingcowboy
Posted 2011-01-19 8:35 PM (#77615 - in reply to #74017)

Cruiser

REXBURG IDAHO
JUST WAS ABLE TO GET OUT AND DO A RIDE ON THE BIKE AFTER DOING THE THRUSH MOD AND AT 0 DEGREES THERE WAS NO BACK FIRING AT ALL
Dain
Posted 2011-01-19 8:44 PM (#77617 - in reply to #74017)

Cruiser

Your welcome Biscuit, I knew these ends wolud look great sticking out the back and fit great to the shield. Thats why I bought them. Just wish I had the temps to go and put them on. And by the way mine will be out the back a little farther then yours because of the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 reducer so it will make them longer under the chrome shield. I am glad you used the ends I suggested, but wish I had gotten them on first. Lastly did you notice any dif in power or does it feel the same as it did before? You will notice it more on the freeway at about 65mph when you roll on the gass hard. Dain

Edited by Dain 2011-01-19 8:53 PM
Biscuit
Posted 2011-01-19 10:41 PM (#77631 - in reply to #77496)

Cruiser

Midlothian, Va.
Cap'n Nemo - 2011-01-18 9:36 AM Thanks for taking the dive on this one Biscuit, I really do like this look. Everything it seems I would like to do is always tomorrow. Hopefully, when I get the need for new mufflers, probably 2 years from now, it will be time to open up my Vision with intake, cams and exhaust for the next 100,000 miles. If you will, take a step picture of the whole bike, or I hope to see it soon, its about time for a lunch ride.Retired so most any day is good for me.
Biscuit
Posted 2011-01-19 10:52 PM (#77632 - in reply to #77617)

Cruiser

Midlothian, Va.
Dain - 2011-01-19 9:44 PM Your welcome Biscuit, I knew these ends wolud look great sticking out the back and fit great to the shield. Thats why I bought them. Just wish I had the temps to go and put them on. And by the way mine will be out the back a little farther then yours because of the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 reducer so it will make them longer under the chrome shield. I am glad you used the ends I suggested, but wish I had gotten them on first. Lastly did you notice any dif in power or does it feel the same as it did before? You will notice it more on the freeway at about 65mph when you roll on the gass hard. DainPower increase on the highway not really but even in 6th gear this 106 engine can haul the freight. There is no need to drop down to 5th. I went out today for about 80 miles of just cruising and some hard interstate and did notice more popping than than the very first day and tomorrow I will check the muffler to head pipe and see if I have any leaks. What I like about this is the unique sound that I've never heard before on a bike.
chappellj
Posted 2011-01-20 5:11 PM (#77703 - in reply to #74017)

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
Nice job Biscuit. I like those tips.
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-01-25 8:10 PM (#78149 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Yeah!!! just did the mod. It sounds great! Apparently my bike had S1L1 pipes on it from the dealer and I didn't know, so its already been remapped and the is NO popping at all. Not noticibly louder, but much deeper. I think the CA model bikes prevent it from being too loud (lots of dampening stuff between engine and pipes).

Went with different tips. found them on E-bay, $20/pair shipped

(EVlV3tail.jpg)

(EVLV3night.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments EVlV3tail.jpg (28KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments EVLV3night.jpg (17KB - 5 downloads)
roundtwig
Posted 2011-01-25 9:00 PM (#78153 - in reply to #74017)

Cruiser

flagstaff, AZ
I really like the look of those tips.
Man314
Posted 2011-01-26 6:26 AM (#78162 - in reply to #74017)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
Those LED rings wired into the tips or did you add afterburners?

Come with the tips or did you add it? Kinda cool.
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-01-26 11:40 AM (#78185 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
They came with it, just google LED Exhaust tips.
team5150
Posted 2011-01-26 11:48 AM (#78187 - in reply to #74017)

Cruiser

Corona, CA
Nozzledog - we're going to have to get together ! We're doing all the same mods and could really compare notes on what is effective.

I have Atom Bombs on my 08 and they sound great. Semi quiet when at idle but when you lean on it - they bark !

I bought the Thrush mufflers and installed one on the right side and left the Atom Bomb on the other. I started the bike and revved it but I could not tell any difference between to two so I took the Thrush off. This was not a real fair test of the mufflers and they might perform better under acceleration than the Thrush.

I may just go ahead and fab up the mounts for the Thrush mufflers and try them for awhile to see if there is an improvement in the long distance riding comfort (for the wifal unit).

I am going to cut the front and rear parts off the stock muffler and weld them to the Thrush so that I have the stock mounts for the front and back and I can mount my Gatling tips as I would stock pipes. That way they will fit like stock and be secure.

When I was on a ride last week on Hwy 1, I got a lot of time to listen to how the Atom Bombs work at different throttle settings and when I really laid into it going up hills (2 up).

What I found is that they are really loud when accelerating and going up hills. So much so that my wife is not real happy with them on a long cruise.

My question is - has anyone gone from Atom Bombs to the Thrush mufflers ? What did you experience ?

Tom

Edited by team5150 2011-01-26 11:49 AM
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-01-26 4:27 PM (#78203 - in reply to #74017)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Atom Bombs sound alot like Cycledragon pipes. They take the stock can and pack it differently with a straight thru shot. The Atom Bombs use a 2.25 hole all the way thru, cycledragon wouldnt tell me what theirs was, just said small enough so it was quite didn't need a remap. The Thrushes are 2" so I was expecting a lot of volume but didn't get it. I think my bike being a California model has a lot to do with that. I mainly went with the Thrush because of the price and that I had an unlimited choice of tips. I thought I was going to have to quite them down somehow, but nope, they are perfect. If I want them louder I can add a resonator tip.
I wouldn't mind adding permanent mounts to it however, but I won't scrap the S1L1s I had.
Any idea how long before that 'new muffler smell' goes away?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™