You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tips on lining up heat shields and sealing tips?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Man314
Posted 2011-03-25 3:52 PM (#82386)
Subject: Tips on lining up heat shields and sealing tips?

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"

I have recently replaced my exhaust with Atom Bombs and upgraded my tips to Mr Wizard's Amazing Jet tips. All is cool, but I have three minor issues:

• Exhaust shields fit fine and flush at the very top on the tips, but get a 1/8 - 1/4" step or gap as they come around to bottom of heat shield. Can only see this when viewing from the back. I've see some solutions for different diameter of the Thrush mod, but these are std OEM exhausts that have been modified internally. Its really minor, but now I'm getting a little anal about fixing this issue and making them extremely flush. Is it possible that LH and RH shields are just slightly off and I have them switched?

• Seems there is also a 1/8 - 1/4" gap between exhaust and tip once I get bolt holes aligned. This is causing small amounts of carbon to escape to build up on outside of tips and on grey "bumper." I have no experience with exhaust issues other than bolting these on. Is there some type of high temp gasket or sealant I can use to seal up this gap and still allow me to remove tips if needed (ie, don't really want to weld them on)?

• While I always had some carbon buildup, it is much more noticeable on these tips . . . the shiny black chrome bullet turns flat black and my chromed "turbine" blades are now all black. Anything we can do to minimize this condition? I did contact Lloyd and he gave me some new setting for the VFCIII to accommodate for the Atom Bombs

As always, any help would be much appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Blue Sky Guy
Posted 2011-03-25 4:20 PM (#82390 - in reply to #82386)
Subject: Re: Tips on lining up heat shields and sealing tips?

Tourer

scotts valley, California
I used a black hi-temp silicone sealant on my gattlin installation. It seams to work fine; no heat issues, seals well. I don't remember the manufacturer, but it came in a tube like toothpaste.
johnnyvision
Posted 2011-03-25 6:42 PM (#82398 - in reply to #82386)

Visionary

Auto store has silicone gasket stuff.
I was thinking you might be right on the heat shield with right and left might even be a up and down too.
Suit is just part of the beast

Edited by john frey 2011-03-25 6:43 PM
SongFan
Posted 2011-03-25 7:40 PM (#82401 - in reply to #82386)
Subject: RE: Tips on lining up heat shields and sealing tips?

Visionary

Memphis

This works good to seal the gaps.? Permatex high-temp gasket maker

Now you know why I went all black.? I refuse to be owned by soot.

Travelin Man
Posted 2011-03-25 9:32 PM (#82411 - in reply to #82386)

Iron Butt

Guys, I thought of mentioning this when I saw Cometman's pictures, it shows that even with the gatlin tips the exhaust was trying to get to the outside edge of the tip. With the Jet Tips it would be a good idea to add a bead of high temperature sealant to the back of the flange where it meets the end of the muffler. I will have to add this recommendation to the installation instructions for future shipments.

Mr. Wizard
mstrroissy
Posted 2012-02-25 10:45 AM (#108578 - in reply to #82386)

Puddle Jumper

Chesapeake, VA
Wondering what the solution to the heat shield gap might be also. I recently installed the Adam Bombs and notice the gap in the heat shields too. I don't think the shields are interchangeable as there is a slight taper at the end. Anyone know where I may have mis adjusted these?

On the carbon leakage, I have a theory on this, the Adam bomb mod removed the end of the muffler, which had a small tip that went into the stock ends, and directed the gasses into the stock muffler tips. With out that the gases are left undirected into the tips and seep out where ever they can.
buddahead
Posted 2012-02-26 9:06 PM (#108709 - in reply to #82386)
Subject: RE: Tips on lining up heat shields and sealing tips?

Cruiser

SF Bay Area
Adding a few thin washers between the tip and muffler body tab can help to adjust the gap, along with high temp silicon sealant between the tips and the heat shields. Having said that, any remaining blow-by can be cleaned with a little Brasso...
tnxr
Posted 2013-05-08 9:09 AM (#138548 - in reply to #82411)

Puddle Jumper

East Tennessee
I am having the same problem with my tips and heat shields as the OP has but on my XR. My heat shields sit flush at the top of the tip but has an increasing gap as they go around the muffler. You only see it from the back but it is very annoying. I took the slipons off (WD baffled) and re-installed with no luck. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this or why the gap is there since the pipes are no different than my originals (that I still have). Only other idea I have is to put my originals back on and install the heat shield and see if the gap is still there but I have a feeling it will be.

(0415031002rs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0415031002rs.jpg (95KB - 0 downloads)
Travelin Man
Posted 2013-05-08 5:30 PM (#138583 - in reply to #82386)

Iron Butt

I don't own a Cross bike but I had the same problem on my vision with the original stock chrome heat shields and my solution was first to replace the factory straps with stainless steel hose clamps and then giving the heat shield a "twist", in the case of the above picture I would loosen the front clamp and then with the back clamp just "snug" attempt to rotate the front of the heat shield upwards or counter clockwise just enough to ge the rear of the heat shield to come in a make the gap consistent by the exhaust tip.
tnxr
Posted 2013-05-08 6:11 PM (#138593 - in reply to #82386)

Puddle Jumper

East Tennessee
Thanks for the info, I will give it a try. The part of the heat shield that the strap goes through appears to be what is causing the gap but still erks me that it did not do this before. I googled pics of Vic exhausts and tips and saw quite a few other bikes with the same problem with recores or other aftermarket exhausts but I guess my OCD is worse than others with things like this.

Edited by tnxr 2013-05-08 6:15 PM
tonyj
Posted 2013-08-04 10:01 AM (#142505 - in reply to #82386)

Cruiser

Salina, KS
On my Atom Bomb setup I went to the local muffler shop and had two pieces about 2" long cut and belled on one end. I then cut the other end at an angle to match the OEM extender and welded to the ends of the mufflers. Soot problem was gone, had a unique look when viewed from the rear and didn't affect the sound.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™