You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Engine Light and Battery Light ON!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

MaddMAx2u
Posted 2011-04-09 10:01 AM (#83584)
Subject: Engine Light and Battery Light ON!!

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
Anyone had this happen??? After breaking in my NEW vision 8 ball I cranked it and hit about 4500 RPM. When I did that the engine light and the battery light came on, and the first time it happened I noticed the Volt meter spiked. The lights stayed on for 1-2 minutes and went out. It has done this again twice when hitting 4500 RPM (did not see the volt meter spike on subsequent events) The bike runs fine, nothing seems to happen except these lights coming on and the one time volt meter spike.

Got the Error code from the display which is ........
Error: 0
Failure Mode Indicator: 3
Suspect Parameter Number: 168

The mechanic at the dealership can't find it in his book of codes and is checking on it. In the meantime he thinks it the regulator or something and is getting a new one for me.

Has anyone had this issue?
If so, what was the problem and what was the solution?

I want to enjoy my new bike!! (It's 3 weeks old!)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
charbin
Posted 2011-04-15 7:45 AM (#84044 - in reply to #83584)
Subject: Re: Engine Light and Battery Light ON!!

Cruiser

Lavon, TX
I had a similar experience - turns out the stator went bad and was providing insufficient/irregular charging. While riding home from a rally, my volt meter spiked and my battery and check engine lights came on. I immediately hit the kill switch and pulled over. When I again cranked, the dash indicator only showed about 13V while the bike was running (14.8V is the normal charge voltage). I did not get any error codes from the display. I first replaced the battery - since it was going on 4 years old, but the new battery didn't seem to hold a charge for long. While searching for the source of my problem, the next issue I uncovered was that one of the posts on the 40A master breaker had sheered (this is the one that had the Victory recall - apparently, mine was tightened "gorilla-style". I replaced the breaker (from NAPA, for $7) - but my battery problems persisted. Finally, I got out the Service Manual and performed the troubleshooting. I was able to prove that the regulator was not the culprit. While running, with the stator disconnected from the regulator, there should be about 17VAC between each of the three stator winding legs. Mine read 0.5V, 5V, and 15V - thus, I only had one of the three legs providing charging power. The others were providing a partial shorting path - which was draining my new battery. I replaced the stator ($140, from www.powersportswarehouse.com), and all is well again...17VAC from all stator legs, and 14.8VDC to the battery.
soprano13
Posted 2012-03-19 10:43 PM (#110478 - in reply to #83584)

Cruiser

Bayonne, NJ
same error code hear.. dealer replaced the voltage regulator all was fine for a few months code came back and and appears on and off
varyder
Posted 2012-03-20 4:33 AM (#110484 - in reply to #83584)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
98,000miles on my '08 my regulator went, same symptoms, idiot lights, and volt meter spike. Replaced under warranty...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™