You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Wiring in Trailer Harness
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Man314
Posted 2011-04-28 3:04 PM (#85065)
Subject: Wiring in Trailer Harness

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"

Have a new UniGo trailer coming next week.  I have installed a HitchDoc hitch.  Install was not too bad. 

My concern is in where to tap into power for the trailer wiring?  I believe Unigo is sending an isolator relay and the connectors.  For those of you who have done this:

• Is there a pigtail on a harness where I can tap in to?
  • If not, where do you tap into switched power?
  • Will electrical load on turn and stop functions cause problems with bike's lighting system?
  • Will any of this void the extended warranty (got mine as a sales incentive when I bought the bike)
  • Any other advice?
Thanks in advance for help on this.

(Chrome Trailer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chrome Trailer.jpg (21KB - 8 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SYNSTR
Posted 2011-04-28 4:26 PM (#85075 - in reply to #85065)
Subject: Re: Wiring in Trailer Harness

Iron Butt

Mt. Vernon, WASH.
Have the dealer do the install, then , if it catches the bike on fire or fries the electrical system, it's on them-in theory, they are supposed to be all knowing, all seeing when it comes to the bikes.

I learned years ago that electricity is all a myth, lights are all powered by smoke. If you let the smoke out of the wire, the light won't work anymore, and it's REALLY hard to put the smoke back into the wires.

Edited by SYNSTR 2011-04-28 4:28 PM
southjerseyrider
Posted 2011-04-28 5:20 PM (#85084 - in reply to #85065)
Subject: RE: Wiring in Trailer Harness

Tourer

Vineland, NJ United States

I have a uni-go and love it.  Wiring was a pain in the ass.  I started the wiring but ended up taking it to dealer to finish.  There is no pigtail to plug into.  You must splice into existing wiring, you must use the isolater relay or the bike will think there is an electrical problem and show you idiot lights.  If you use the isolater, you will not have any electrical problems with blinkers or brake lights.  Only other trick is whether you got the inside light or not, if you did you need to make some decisions about whether you want to be able to use the light when the bike power is off or not.   You wire bike to isolater than isolater to plug, then I fastened the plug under rear valance.  I did mine under the seat. 

ED

boatsrfun
Posted 2011-04-28 5:42 PM (#85085 - in reply to #85065)

Cruiser

I followed the directions from Teach and had no problems. Here is a link
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3608&pos...
Man314
Posted 2011-04-28 7:01 PM (#85089 - in reply to #85075)

Tourer

SYNSTR - 2011-04-28 4:26 PM Have the dealer do the install, then , if it catches the bike on fire or fries the electrical system, it's on them-in theory, they are supposed to be all knowing, all seeing when it comes to the bikes. I learned years ago that electricity is all a myth, lights are all powered by smoke. If you let the smoke out of the wire, the light won't work anymore, and it's REALLY hard to put the smoke back into the wires.

Yeah, bad thing about my dealer is that he is 1.5 hr drive away.

Thomas
Posted 2011-04-28 11:01 PM (#85117 - in reply to #85065)

Central Wisconsin

Sharp trailer your going to have.

I wired up an Isolator year ago January.   I removed the rear taillights and installed the Isolator in the cavity.

Isolator Pics

You may not even need one account of the leds on the trailer draw so little current.

whinchey
Posted 2011-05-04 9:08 PM (#85510 - in reply to #85065)

Cruiser

Yellowknife, NT Canada
I purchased the two connectors to pull apart the taillight factory connector under the seat. The whole setup is plug and play now. Can be easily removed and put back to stock. I also have the Muth Signal mirrors so I have plug and played them into this setup as well..
Man314
Posted 2011-05-04 10:55 PM (#85524 - in reply to #85065)

Tourer

Thx all for the response and pics.

Whinchey, do you have pics of this connect, p/n, link, or where bought?
RiverRat
Posted 2011-05-05 6:07 AM (#85532 - in reply to #85065)

Puddle Jumper

Southern Indiana
Man314 I made up a short plug and play harness the you put in the wiring right under the seat. All you have to do is splice trailer wires into this harness. I will try and figure out how to attach picture. If you or anybody else is interested in one let me know. I have the stuff to make 2 right now and can make more if the demand is thier.
RiverRat
Posted 2011-05-05 7:06 AM (#85535 - in reply to #85065)

Puddle Jumper

Southern Indiana
I have not got this picture thing down yet but I did get them into my gallery
Man314
Posted 2011-05-05 8:03 AM (#85538 - in reply to #85065)

Tourer

RiverRat, Pretty slick setup. So if I understand this correctly, this "mini harness" that you made will plug and play into existing lighting harness on bike. The trailer wires/isolator wires need to be spliced/tapped to the wires on your harness? If this is true, then it does take some of the risk away from hacking into the harness and allows you to remove the harness from this Vision and put it into a new 2014 version (think I'll be riding my 2009 till then!).

Couple of questions:

• Does this work with the 2009 Vision?
  • Not sure how those connectors build up, but I'll be wiring to an isolator that shipped with my trailer.  It would be nice if I could disassembly one side and twist the wires together and reassemble the connector to avoid tapping/splicing into wires directly.  Would this be possible or is connector locked once it is assembled.  May also have a wire gauging issue? 
  • Price?
  • Are you set up on paypal?
  • How quickly can you get me one?

Please PM me . . . I may be interested.  BTW, where do you live in Southern Indiana?  I used to live in Seymour and Rushville.

Edited by Man314 2011-05-05 8:12 AM
RiverRat
Posted 2011-05-05 9:20 AM (#85544 - in reply to #85065)

Puddle Jumper

Southern Indiana
Couple of questions:

Does this work with the 2009 Vision? (Yes I built this for my 2009.)
Not sure how those connectors build up, but I'll be wiring to an isolator that shipped with my trailer. It would be nice if I could disassembly one side and twist the wires together and reassemble the connector to avoid tapping/splicing into wires directly. Would this be possible or is connector locked once it is assembled. May also have a wire gauging issue? ( The connector is locked and sealed and would be hard to install two wires and would not be water tight if you did. I spliced my wires in and used shink warp to seal that.)
Price? ($25.00 plus shipping)
Are you set up on paypal? (yes)
How quickly can you get me one? ( I have two done right now could ship first part of week)

I sent you a PM
A1947Dreamer
Posted 2013-04-02 7:10 PM (#134113 - in reply to #85538)

New user

Brandon,MB Canada
Hi RiverRat

If your plug and play (t connection) will work on a 2012 Cross Country Tour I would like to get one.
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2013-04-02 9:31 PM (#134125 - in reply to #85065)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
I replaced the trialer lights with LEDs to get away from any issues. The bike doesn't know the LEDs are there due to their low resistance. No isolator needed. I spliced into the tail light wire harness under the seat with solder and heat shrink. You would think it was factory if you didn't know better. LED trailer lights was defintely a good choice for me. Absolutley no issues in 5 years and less parts and wiring to go wrong without the isolator.
whinchey
Posted 2014-06-10 1:28 AM (#158231 - in reply to #85065)

Cruiser

Yellowknife, NT Canada
I will attach pictures of a trailer harness I built for another Vision rider.

The picture (img 2580) is the complete wiring unit I built for his 2009 Vision. I have a the same, but slightly modified version on my 2008, to include some mods for the trunk lights, and for my Muth signal mirrors. I tied all additional light back to the isolator and did not load the bike wiring with and new lights. None of the bike wiring was cut or modified for this trailer harness. The (img 2588) can be removed from the bike returning all bike wiring back to stock. the (img 2584) and (img 2590) stay in the bike, but are not connected to anything when (img 2588) is removed.

(img 2584) is the cable that connects under the seat and this wire goes down to what ever plug you are using on your trailer. In this case we used the Weatherpack 6 pin connector (img 2585). Bushtec uses this connector and I have found it very reliable. There is no ground through the hitch connection. It is a fixed lead in the harness. I also made Weatherpack "blank" connectors, one for the bike, one for the trailer, so when they are not connected, you plug these in the protect the connections and keep them clean.

(img 2588) is the harness the plugs into the Vision under the seat. Simply pull apart the connector to the rear lights and plug this in-between. These connectors are available, www.farmtronics.com.

http://farmtronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=F-F0011-Set

http://farmtronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=F-F0012-Set

If you need a seal to fill an empty hole in these connectors.

http://farmtronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=F-F6100

The tools for crimping and removing the pins

http://farmtronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=E40170

http://farmtronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=E40140

The other white end of this cable (img 2588) plugs into (img 2590).

(img 2590) This cable contains the isolator component to protect the bike wiring systems, cruise control, etc. It also has a connector to plug into the trailer wiring, and the weatherpack 6 pin connector.

The isolator is from this site. www.electricalconnection.com Two components were used from here. The 07663 Universal trailer relay sub harness, and the 07660 trailer isolator.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm

The weatherpack connectors also came from www.Farmtronics.com

http://farmtronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=F-D0011-Set

http://farmtronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=F-D0012-Set

The seals to close and unused cavity in this connector.

http://farmtronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=F-D3900

I used the crimping tool above to crimp the pins for these connectors and it worked fine. But if you ever need to pull and pin out of a connector you will need this tool. I carry this with me and have used it once when I had to do an emergency on the road repair to the trailer and it required me to pull the wiring back out to fix the trailer.

http://farmtronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=E40040

There is a 15 amp fuse in the isolator assembly that protects the trailer. A short in the trailer will blow this fuse. the auto resetting circuit breaker connects to the existing breaker that feeds the bike accessories , on the battery side. This breaker protects the battery from a fault in the isolator or the wiring contained in the bike or the trailer.

(iphone 257) shows (img 2588, img 2589) connected into the bike harness. In the cavity of the bike, just below that point is the weather tight isolator, and the 15 amp fuse (iphone 300) The isolator is just below my thumb in this picture.

Notes:

There is a mod that some Vision owners have done to stop the one brake light from turning off when a blinker is on. They either cut the two wires, or some removed the pins from the connector and wrapped them with tape. When inserting this short harness into the bike you can leave all the stock wiring in place. And fill two of the "pin" cavities in this assembly with seals. Everything is water tight and no wires are taped up, or cut. (img 2595)

A mod was later done that included a Kuyrakyn 4710 into the lights in the top of the trunk, and a brake light flasher that flashed the brake light on the back of the Vision, the top trunk lights, and the trailer brake lights, all in unison. This required two additional wires to be install up into the trunk. To facilitate this, Metra Pack connectors were used so the trunk could still be disconnected and removed.

The Muth Signal mirrors also had quick disconnect connectors, that ran up into the top of the fairing and the mirrors were connected this way. I did this because another Vision Rider had added the mirrors and spliced them into the turn signals in the front fairing. When his green neutral light burned out, his Dealer (Victory) denied him a warranty claim because he had connected to the bike blinker circuits.

So I used the isolator essentially to sense the bikes systems, and operate all the additional lights with power directly from a connection to the battery.

The Rider I built the harness for, had his original dealer do his first trailer wiring install. It was a mess. Loaded the bike systems and burned out two cruise control modules and a wiring harness. Then that Dealer would not warranty the work. This guy had several issues on road trips. He went to another Dealer for the repairs and paid several grand to get his bike fixed.

If you need more information than I have provided here, please pm me.

Edited by whinchey 2014-06-10 1:45 AM

(IMG_2580.jpg)

(IMG_2584.jpg)

(IMG_2585.jpg)

(IMG_2588.jpg)

(IMG_2589.jpg)

(IMG_2590.jpg)

(IMG_2595.jpg)

(iPhone 257.jpg)

(iPhone 300.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2580.jpg (77KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2584.jpg (65KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2585.jpg (73KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2588.jpg (45KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2589.jpg (113KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2590.jpg (81KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2595.jpg (93KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments iPhone 257.jpg (52KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments iPhone 300.jpg (46KB - 1 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™