You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

What replacement headlights do you use?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

radioteacher
Posted 2011-05-17 8:55 PM (#86536)
Subject: What replacement headlights do you use?

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I was thinking of buying the H4 PIAA Xtreme White Plus (4000K)

Do you use them? What do you think of them and are they worth the money?

If not the PIAA...What do you use?

I think I remember Songfan saying that he uses them.

Ride Safe
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lotzafun
Posted 2011-05-17 9:22 PM (#86539 - in reply to #86536)
Subject: RE: What replacement headlights do you use?

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

Paul-

Tons of good info in the tech section at this site http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/tech.html

And here is a paste of an email I had with Mr. Stern last Sept.......

Ok....another confused consumer here.

I have a 2008 Victory Vision motorcycle and I'm currently using Sylvania Silverstar H4 bulbs. Two issues....they don't really perform too much better than the stock bulbs, and they only last about six months

They don't even perform up to the level of a stock bulb. Any of the blue-glass "extra white" bulbs is a nonstarter as
far as seeing better is concerned. Sylvania Silverstar/Ultra, PIAA, Hoen,
BlueVision, CrystalVision, TruView, Nokya, Polarg, etc. -- all the same racket. They produce _less_ light than ordinary bulbs and have a very short life due to the light blocked by the blue glass. All it does is change the beam color, which doesn't help anything (except arbitrary appearance fashion/style).

For reference, here's manufacturer data for output and lifespan at 13.2v for standard-wattage H1 bulbs. The numbers here are a composite of values applicable to the products of the big three makers (Osram-Sylvania, Philips-Narva, Tungsram-GE). Each manufacturer's product in each category is slightly different but not significantly so. I picked H1-type bulbs for this comparison, and while the absolute numbers differ with different bulb types, the relative comparison patterns hold good for whatever bulb type we consider (H4, 9006, whatever). Lifespan is given as Tc, the hour figure at which 63.2 percent of the bulbs have failed.

H1 (regular normal):

1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life (or "HalogenPlus+"

1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Ultra Long Life (or "DayLight"

1430 lumens, 3000 hours

Plus-30 High Efficacy (CPI BrightLight, Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva Rangepower, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium):

1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (CPI Super Bright Light, Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar):

1750 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-80/90 Mega High Efficacy (Philips Xtreme Power, Osram Night Breaker):

1780 lumens, 340 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (CPI Bright Light Blue, Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra, also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, etc):

1380 lumens, 250 hours

So that's the pattern for how lifespan and light output are related. It's worth noting that the lumen differences are not the extent of the performance differences. The filament changes required to make a long-life bulb tend to reduce the beam focus, which shortens seeing distance. And, the light color is less white and more brown. But lifespan is lengthened. The opposite filament changes are made to create the "Plus" (+30, +50, +80, +90) type bulbs: Lifespan is reduced, but the beam focus is better so seeing distance is longer. Light color is whiter and less brown. The takeaway message here is that even if all the filaments put out exactly the same amount of light — the same lumens from a long life, a +30, a +50, a regular, an ultralong-life, etc. — the headlamp performance and appearance with the long-life bulb would still be inferior compared to the same headlamp performance and appearance with a regular, or +30, or +50, or +80 bulb.

A relative has strongly recommended purchasing Narva brand bulbs. And of course he recommended to purchase them only from you. So...here I am.

A bit about my riding commute:: 80% deserted country roads and about 40% dusk/night

I'm pretty sure it appears that I want to go with the 100/90W Narva bulbs.
Not safely compatible with the plastic reflectors in your headlamp. Use Osram 70/65w H4 bulbs ($22/ea) for a large improvement in seeing while still retaining wiring compatibility and getting reasonably long service life. Keep in mind any high-performance headlamp bulb (whether or not its extra performance is then subtracted back out by blue glass as in Sylvania Silverstars) will have a shorter lifespan than a standard bulb. Can ship four of them for the same shipping cost as two of them!

SongFan
Posted 2011-05-17 9:29 PM (#86540 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

Memphis

I bought the PIAA's for the Anti-vibration feature most of all.  (Don't just get XTreme white.  Make sure they are Anti-Vibration.)  Thicker quartz glass and a heavier duty element.  Nice, pure white color, 4000k (no blue at all).  Stock wattage.  Retail for $90/pair but can be found for under $80/pair with a search.

I was happy that the stock bulbs lasted 3 years and nearly 50,000 miles but I wanted something whiter to go along with the HID.  If these high-dollar PIAA's last three year I'll be happy.

Only white bulbs I would not recommend personally are the Sylvania SilverStars.  The look great while they last but are notorious for burning out very quickly in cars and trucks.  On a vibrating v-twin, they could easily go out in a month.

Nozzledog
Posted 2011-05-18 1:26 AM (#86547 - in reply to #86536)
Subject: Re: What replacement headlights do you use?

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Iron Butt Magazine recommends the Philips X-treme Power H4. They also say any light over 5000K is useless. Go with 4300K when you can. [Iron Butt Premier Issue]
radioteacher
Posted 2011-05-18 9:51 AM (#86567 - in reply to #86540)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
SongFan - 2011-05-17 9:29 PM

I bought the PIAA's?for the Anti-vibration feature most of all.? (Don't just get XTreme white.? Make sure they are Anti-Vibration.)? Thicker quartz glass and a heavier duty element.? Nice, pure white color, 4000k (no blue at all).? Stock wattage.? Retail for $90/pair but can be found for under $80/pair with a search.

I was happy that the stock bulbs lasted 3 years and nearly 50,000 miles but I wanted something whiter to go along with the HID.? If these high-dollar PIAA's last three year I'll be happy.

Only white bulbs I would not recommend personally are the Sylvania SilverStars.? The look great while they last but are notorious for burning out very quickly in cars and trucks.? On a vibrating v-twin, they could easily go out in a month.

SongFan,

Do you have a part number for the PIAA's that you are using? I am trying to be pro active....my are still burning strong but I know it is only a matter of time before they fail. This information needs to be added to the Vision Parts list.

Thanks,

Ride Safe
SongFan
Posted 2011-05-18 10:30 AM (#86570 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

Memphis
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-70856-Xtreme-White-Antivibration/dp/B003D5J0AK
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-05-18 12:02 PM (#86574 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
I've been using the H4 GE ATV bulb from Wal-mart, forget the price, but they are reasonable. I was replacing the sylvania silvers H4 too often and switched to these, so far, so good.
radioteacher
Posted 2011-05-18 1:44 PM (#86591 - in reply to #86540)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
SongFan - 2011-05-17 9:29 PM

I bought the PIAA's?for the Anti-vibration feature most of all.? (Don't just get XTreme white.? Make sure they are Anti-Vibration.)? Thicker quartz glass and a heavier duty element.? Nice, pure white color, 4000k (no blue at all).? Stock wattage.? The look great while they last but are notorious for burning out very quickly in cars and trucks.? On a vibrating v-twin, they could easily go out in a month.

I had to read this to finally get what you are trying to tell me.

Let me see if I can sum this up.

Buy PIAA but not just any PIAA H4....
Buy PIAA XTreme White but not just any XTreme White....
You want me to buy the PIAA....XTreme White (in 4000K) but only with Anti-Vibration in the stock wattage.

Let me know if I got it right.
MaddMAx2u
Posted 2011-05-18 2:05 PM (#86592 - in reply to #86536)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
Any thoughts for the replacement for the center light? I do not have HID and I am not spending $500 to get it. I may be old but I ain't blind! LOL
SongFan
Posted 2011-05-18 3:25 PM (#86597 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

Memphis

"You want me to buy the PIAA....XTreme White (in 4000K) but only with Anti-Vibration in the stock wattage."

Paul, you got it.  PIAA 70856 (This is the part # for a pair.  You can google it to find the best deal.)

My guys at FRS Powersports changed them out for me and their very first question was "Are these stock wattage?"  I showed them the package, "Yep."  Anything running hotter than stock is asking for trouble if you end up having wiring or headlight housing issues (hairline cracks) later on.

Just be careful when you order.  If you see them for around $50, it is either a single anti-vibration bulb or a dual pack of regular Xtreme white bulbs (they won't be anti-vibration).  A pair of anti-vibration bulbs will cost $75-80.  I found one place selling singles for $29.99 but when I got to their shipping costs, it added $14.95 which comes out to $90/pair.

I've had lots of comments from people that I pass coming into work and they mention how well lit up my bike is.  The PIAAs along with the Clearwaters are pretty nice.

Edited by SongFan 2011-05-18 3:30 PM
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-05-19 5:07 PM (#86669 - in reply to #86592)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
MaddMAx2u - 2011-05-18 12:05 PM

Any thoughts for the replacement for the center light? I do not have HID and I am not spending $500 to get it. I may be old but I ain't blind! LOL

http://www.piaa.com/Powersports/hidkits.html

PIAA 71190 HS1 HID Headlight Conversion Kit - $86 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-71190-HS1-Headlight-Conversion/dp/B003DO...

Edited by Nozzledog 2011-05-19 5:14 PM

(41oUISBwoPL__SL500_AA300_.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 41oUISBwoPL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (11KB - 2 downloads)
MaddMAx2u
Posted 2011-05-26 7:56 PM (#87217 - in reply to #86536)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
Thanks Nozzledog. Have you used this one? I've heard many aftermarket HID's don't have the proper reflector (?) and as such have disclaimers everywhere about not being legal for on road use. Just wonderin'

jstbcause34
Posted 2011-06-06 6:44 AM (#88074 - in reply to #86536)

New user

Lumberton, NC
I am new to the forum and to Vision ownership. Took two years to get the one I wanted. Was wondering if there would be a problem replacing the driving HS1 35/35 light bulb with a Standard or Motovision H4 55/65 since they are backward plug compatible. Just want to make sure there wont be too much electrical draw or heat in the housing.
radioteacher
Posted 2011-06-06 8:13 AM (#88080 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
The heat and wiring could be an issue with the higher current draw of the 55/65 blub. It is best to stick with the stock wattage 35/35.

SongFan runs the PIAA, XTreme White (in 4000K), with Anti-Vibration in the stock wattage. PIAA Part # 70856.

With the stock blubs I have never had someone not see me and they work great at night.
hoosiervic
Posted 2011-06-06 9:07 AM (#88083 - in reply to #88074)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN

jstbcause34 - 2011-06-06 7:44 AM I am new to the forum and to Vision ownership. Took two years to get the one I wanted. Was wondering if there would be a problem replacing the driving HS1 35/35 light bulb with a Standard or Motovision H4 55/65 since they are backward plug compatible. Just want to make sure there wont be too much electrical draw or heat in the housing.

jst'  Welcome to forum and thanks for jumping in on the conversation. I agree with the previous post that it is risky. I know folks like to get as much light as possible out there to see and especially be seen. I also know that some are getting by with these type of modifications, but for the little bit you will gain you will curse yourself all the way to the repair shop and again to the bank if you experience a catastrophic electrical failure out on the road. Remember you will void your warranty if you change to a higher wattage bulb and it causes a failure. They will work on our systems but the wires may run just hot enough to cause a slow but sure deterioration of the insulation.

At this point I have to wonder why you want to up the wattage of your headlights? They are by far one of if not the brightest motorcycle headlights available stock on a touring bike today. I almost never use my brights because frankly I never need them. I even get flashed occasionally by oncoming cars because they must think I have my brights on. When I flash'em back they get my message quickly. Do check your headlight aim, it may be that they are aimed down at the ground and you just aren't benefiting from the outstanding design of your headlights. Good luck and safe riding!

pollolittle
Posted 2011-06-06 10:47 AM (#88093 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Noticed my HID blinking out when hitting around 3500 rpm, thinking there must be something going out in the HID, don't know much about it. So, it looks like I'll be looking for a replacement soon.
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-06-06 10:50 AM (#88095 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
mines been winking a lot lately also, when I hit a bump or rough road.
johnnyvision
Posted 2011-06-06 11:10 AM (#88099 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

I had the pretty white lights that light up the night.
They only lasted one year. Went back to the auto parts store and this time ask for the best long life. I ask about the white lights and all 4 employees said no. The pretty one don't last.
But if you do want a great white light look for http://www.candlepowerinc.com/
great bulbs.
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-06-06 12:01 PM (#88108 - in reply to #87217)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
MaddMAx2u - 2011-05-26 5:56 PM

Thanks Nozzledog. Have you used this one? I've heard many aftermarket HID's don't have the proper reflector (?) and as such have disclaimers everywhere about not being legal for on road use. Just wonderin'

No HID is considered legal in a lens designed for a Halogen bulb. That being said, the Halogen HS1 on my bike was worthless. I just ordered the PIAA HID described above off of Amazon for $88 and it will be installed this weekend. There is no way it can be as bad as the Halogen, and I doubt anyone would notice that the lens is not the HID lens, since a majority of them are.

I am also putting in the PIAA powersport H4 60/55w Star White A/V bulbs (3800K). The glass is not as blue as the Xtreme White's, so the bulb should last longer.
pollolittle
Posted 2011-06-06 12:17 PM (#88111 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Cap'nofmanymiles - maybe we need to find a replacement soon. The HID is apparently time sensitive not distance. I have maybe half the miles but approximately the same time. Let me know what you find out.
glighto11
Posted 2011-06-06 12:41 PM (#88115 - in reply to #86536)

Iron Butt

Central New York
I have read that the whiter the light, the less beneficial it is to the driver. They look pretty to look at, but over 400k the performance drops rapidly. My understanding is that it has something to do with the wave length of the light and how it reflects off objects (which is what you see). I believe the more blue component in the beam, the more it is absorbed by the object. Don't know, not a scientist, but that is what I understand.

It works for me because I can justify being cheap. Besides, the cooler spectrums seem to be a little more rugged. I got almost 11k on my last set of Walmart bulbs, and I am running them with a Kisan modulator.
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-06-06 1:36 PM (#88128 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
They also say the more blue (higher K rating) the quicker eye fatigue sets in.
jstbcause34
Posted 2011-06-06 2:07 PM (#88131 - in reply to #86536)

New user

Lumberton, NC
thanx for the advice yall and thanx for the welcome. I am very pleased with the bike and the stock headlights. I just wanted to make the driving light a little brighter but guess i'll leave well enough alone thanx again for the advice.
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-06-06 2:16 PM (#88134 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Yeah, the halogen driving light really sucks. I couldn't see spending $400 on the HID either, expecially when Clearwaters are about the same price. I am willing to spent $88 to put in a HID conversion kit and see if it does better.
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-06-18 8:50 PM (#89125 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wow, what a difference! The HID almost overpowers my Clearwaters (can only see the Clearwaters add light when they are @ 80% or more now). The two together are quite impressive. Now I wonder why Victory even offered a halogen driving light, it did absolutely nothing in comparison. Well worth the $88.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™