You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Victory Air Pump - Safe Alternatives?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Breaker
Posted 2008-04-30 2:46 AM (#9380)
Subject: Victory Air Pump - Safe Alternatives?

Iron Butt

Western WA
I've ordered a Victory Air Pump, but it won't be in for a little while.

Is there a safe alternative I can use in the meantime?

I read somewhere on the board that it would be easy to damage the shock with a different pump.

Is this right?

Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Member No. 1
Posted 2008-04-30 5:20 AM (#9383 - in reply to #9380)
Subject: RE: Victory Air Pump - Safe Alternatives?

Cruiser

Under the Rule of Jedi - Masshole
Yes and no... Since the shocks only contain a very small volume of air it would be very easy to over inflate them with say a garage or home compressor. But if you were to use a home compressor with a regulator so you could adjust the pressure, you would be fine. The really small ones they sell that plug into your cigarette lighter don't put out a lot of volume (Look for low CFM -cubic feet per minute- which is how compressors are rated) and would work.
There is nothing special about the victory pump. You can basically buy the same from a bicycle shop, or Wally World for that matter. Just pick up a cheap old style bike pump. You know, the long black tube, stand on the ears, pump up and down.

Whatever route you go, just be sure to invest in a decent pressure gage. Some of the cheap ones can be quite a bit off.

Edited by Member No. 1 2008-04-30 5:21 AM
RedRider
Posted 2008-04-30 6:16 AM (#9387 - in reply to #9380)
Subject: Re: Victory Air Pump - Safe Alternatives?

Visionary

"Whatever route you go, just be sure to invest in a decent pressure gage. Some of the cheap ones can be quite a bit off."
Excellent point No. 1. Many people don't realize how important a good gauge is. Let's say it's off by 2 lbs. We all know the difference in the ride and tire wear 2 lbs can make riding our bikes. Also remember that the air pumps at gas stations may not be accurate. Not trying to steal the thread but a very important thing to remember when using an air pump is to fine one of the electronic ones. They will drop the pressure in the tire before putting air in. The old style pumps could be scaled to 1 or 2 lbs for a pressure reading. So this would mean if your tire was at 30 lbs the pump would not add 2 lbs if that's what you set it at. If you do not take a reading with a good gauge you could be off on the pressure.
We return you to your thread....
Breaker
Posted 2008-04-30 11:06 AM (#9393 - in reply to #9380)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Excellent point on the tire gage. Thanks.
mike s
Posted 2008-04-30 9:18 PM (#9428 - in reply to #9380)
Subject: RE: Victory Air Pump - Safe Alternatives?

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Wal-Mart. Bicycle Section. $15.88

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5799304
cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-01 1:52 AM (#9447 - in reply to #9380)

Visionary

So Cal
Mike s has the answer. I use the HD pump I got for the eglide ($40). works. Try to avoid high pressure, shop type air pressure, it may blow the shock. Just putting a gage on the shock is enough to lower the pressure 2-3 lbs. Gages are usually calibrated on the low side to avoid liability. Sounds crazy for an air pump but lawyers live on that stuff.
Breaker
Posted 2008-05-01 2:51 AM (#9456 - in reply to #9380)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Dang.

I ordered the Vic pump last night, and it's been shipped.

Well, I'll look at it as a future collectors item.
Grebs_59
Posted 2008-05-01 1:10 PM (#9501 - in reply to #9456)

Cruiser

Twin Cities, MN

Most decent bicycle shops sell pumps used for air adjustable shocks used on Mountain Bikes. I have a nice one with a removable "dial" pressure gauge. 1/2 turn and it breaks down for convenient storage. I think is was $20

Edited by Grebs_59 2008-05-01 1:12 PM
BobR
Posted 2008-05-10 8:45 PM (#10046 - in reply to #9380)

New user

Cumming, GA
Although not compact, this model from Longacre has a great reach, swivel ball chuck end, and rubber siding........ needless to say also very accurate. (I just swap from my car to bike). They also make a duplicate of it, a little less, w/o the oil.

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1118&catid=8
Travelin Man
Posted 2008-05-10 9:49 PM (#10048 - in reply to #9456)

Iron Butt

Breaker - 2008-05-01 1:51 AM

Dang.

I ordered the Vic pump last night, and it's been shipped.

Well, I'll look at it as a future collectors item.

I purchased and am using the Victory pump and it definitely has an advantage over most other pumps. When you screw the hose from the pump onto the schrader valve for the rear shock it forms a sealed closed system, you pump air into the shock and then you can let air out by pressing the button on the bottom of the pump body, once you are done using the pump it maintains the seal on the schrader valve housing until just after the schrader valve itself has closed, thus you loose no air pressure by removing the pump from the system. I have a similar low pressure pump from Progressive Suspension that I used to use on my first GL1500 Goldwing's air adjustable front forks, it worked the same way but was only good for up to 15 psi.
Teach
Posted 2008-05-11 8:37 PM (#10083 - in reply to #9380)

Visionary

I have the Progressive pump I used on my HD which is gaged for 30psi. I picked it up at my local Indy (BigDog dealer now) for a few bucks. works great and I cant see ever needing to inflate above 30psi anyhow.
GunBug
Posted 2015-01-25 7:19 PM (#169574 - in reply to #9380)

New user

I know this post has been dead for a while. But, as times change, answers change. The Fox Racing shock pump is the SAME pump as the Victory branded one, but for about 1/3rd of the price. It is Fox Racing Shox Shock Pump 027-00-007.

Current link http://amzn.com/B001F212OK is $24.95 shipped.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™