You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Installed Chrome Flying V Trunk Rack - CycleOps (photos)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

flint350
Posted 2011-08-05 5:02 PM (#92717)
Subject: Installed Chrome Flying V Trunk Rack - CycleOps (photos)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md

I ordered a show-chrome flying V trunk rack and flag pole from Will at CycleOps a couple of weeks ago to replace my 3 yr old standard Victory rack.  I've read various threads that's it's not too difficult to install one of these and after having done it I can say it is and it isn't.  However, the final result is gorgeous and I am attaching some small res. photos to show it off, flag pole included.  The reason I say the install is/isn't easy is because, while stripping the trunk is not hard and you don't have to remove the whole top as Victory suggests, you could benefit from a pair of extra hands.  I am alone and did the job myself.  Having done it, I think it would be simpler to do if you weren't replacing the rack from OEM - bcz over time, I'm sure the plastic lid has expanded/contracted enough to make the placement of the holes very critical and can require forcibly stretching the rack to get the screws to start and stay straight.  Drilling from new would probably be easier.  However, I managed to both hold the lid and stretch it sufficiently to line it up and get it installed.  To say it's an improvement over the OEM would be like saying Lloyd's cams are "a bit better" than the stock engine.  The rack is a stunning mirror-like finish and the Flying V just screams Vision.  The flag mounts well and there's more room underneath for cleaning and for bungie placement.  I'm sure most already know all of this, but I'm just very happy that I completed this successfully and wanted to share.  Will has been great to work with and I can recommend the rack without hesitation - just be aware of the install procedure and decide if you have someone to help or want the dealer to do it.  I managed it alone and I am "mediocre" at best.  Here's the photos:

Top of the page Bottom of the page
DannyB
Posted 2011-08-05 5:42 PM (#92721 - in reply to #92717)
Subject: Re: Installed Chrome Flying V Trunk Rack - CycleOps (photos)

Tourer

2 mi from Jim Beam n KY
Killer!!!
radioteacher
Posted 2011-08-05 5:46 PM (#92724 - in reply to #92717)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Sure looks nice!

Looking at your pictures reminds me I need to wash the Vision.
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-08-05 6:29 PM (#92734 - in reply to #92724)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
radioteacher - 2011-08-05 5:46 PM

Sure looks nice!

Looking at your pictures reminds me I need to wash the Vision.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe tomorrow.

I love the rack, Will does a bang up job on what he does.
bigfoot
Posted 2011-08-05 6:38 PM (#92737 - in reply to #92717)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
The wife is now considering coming along with me on some of my longer trips and I could of course use extra carry capacity if she does.

My concern with this installation is exceeding the maximum carry weight of the trunk.
Wouldn't attaching say 30 pounds of weight on the luggage rack possible cause a "wowwing" or elongating of the mounting holes and what happens to the handling aspects of the Vision with say 60 or 70 pounds packed way back there?
Liandra
Posted 2011-08-05 6:47 PM (#92738 - in reply to #92717)

Cruiser

Tifton, GA
The rack looks great! My one reason for not adding one is when parking on Main St during Bikeweek and Biketoberfest in Daytona people trying to help grab the rack and pull really hard. They damaged the lid on my Harley doing that in 09.

Has anyone had someone pull on a Vision luggage rack trying to help them back?
Boots
Posted 2011-08-05 8:25 PM (#92746 - in reply to #92737)

Tourer

New Mexico
bigfoot - 2011-08-05 5:38 PM

The wife is now considering coming along with me on some of my longer trips and I could of course use extra carry capacity if she does.

My concern with this installation is exceeding the maximum carry weight of the trunk.
Wouldn't attaching say 30 pounds of weight on the luggage rack possible cause a "wowwing" or elongating of the mounting holes and what happens to the handling aspects of the Vision with say 60 or 70 pounds packed way back there?

Not speaking from experience, but have heard 5 lb limit.

Sure looks sweet, though

Edited by Boots 2011-08-05 8:28 PM
Prarie Dog
Posted 2011-08-05 8:42 PM (#92747 - in reply to #92717)

Cruiser

Bolivar Missouri
Boots my stock rack is rated at 20 lbs. Wow i really like the V rack it puts the stock ones to shame .... Also
where did you find the flag mount ,

Edited by BULLDYS 2011-08-05 8:43 PM
Boots
Posted 2011-08-05 9:02 PM (#92748 - in reply to #92747)

Tourer

New Mexico
BULLDYS - 2011-08-05 7:42 PM

Boots my stock rack is rated at 20 lbs. Wow i really like the V rack it puts the stock ones to shame .... Also
where did you find the flag mount ,

That would be great! I haven't bought one because of that 5lb limit. If it is 20 I just might have to pull the trigger and get one.
DSmith
Posted 2011-08-06 12:29 AM (#92762 - in reply to #92737)

Cruiser

Bainville, & Mesa, AZ, MT
bigfoot - 2011-08-05 5:38 PM

I installed the v-rack just before heading to the national meet, we carried the wifes suitcase on it for close to 1700 miles. I am sure we exceeded 30 lbs on it, I haven't weighed it for sure but we have just about everything but the kitchen sink in it. The trunk is packed to overflowing too and the vision handles it fine.
flint350
Posted 2011-08-06 10:00 AM (#92781 - in reply to #92717)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
I don't recall the exact limits on the OEM rack (20lbs comes to mind) but I'm sure this one is no less and is more likely a limit of the trunk lid plastic's ability to handle the weight distributed over the legs and washers. The flag pole is also from cycleops.

Also, now that this is installed, if anyone is interested in buying my used OEM rack (without mounting screws/washers), I would probably sell it for a reasonable price.

Edited by flint350 2011-08-06 10:06 AM
4speed
Posted 2011-08-06 10:36 AM (#92783 - in reply to #92781)
Subject: rear rack

Puddle Jumper

Regina Sask. Canada
Hi looking to see how much for the rear rack ???? and if you would ship to Canada
Mattchristiani
Posted 2011-08-06 1:31 PM (#92791 - in reply to #92783)
Subject: RE: rear rack

Cruiser

Cedar, Michigan
4speed - 2011-08-06 11:36 AM

Hi looking to see how much for the rear rack ???? and if you would ship to Canada

You need to go to cycleopsusa.com for the info on shipping. The rack is 499.00 USD.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2011-08-06 2:15 PM (#92795 - in reply to #92717)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
I think he was asking "how much" for the used rack.
kris1956
Posted 2011-08-06 4:45 PM (#92808 - in reply to #92717)

Iron Butt

Got to get me one of those.
Boots
Posted 2011-08-06 5:33 PM (#92815 - in reply to #92795)

Tourer

New Mexico
CoolHandLuke - 2011-08-06 1:15 PM

I think he was asking "how much" for the used rack.

I'm asking too - How much? I did IM you if you would rather discuss offline.
flint350
Posted 2011-08-07 9:41 AM (#92848 - in reply to #92717)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
Sorry, been busy and I see I have a few PM's, which I'll answer today (Sunday) about selling the old rack.
Harbiejoe
Posted 2011-08-07 9:41 PM (#92885 - in reply to #92717)

Cruiser

Springfield Mo.
Just installed mine also over the weekend. I ordered the black rack to go on my black and silver Vision. It looks badass and is easy to install. I didn't even take the lid off of my tailbag when drilling and mounting it.
Vetrepreneur
Posted 2018-06-18 11:38 PM (#192592 - in reply to #92717)
Subject: RE: Installed Chrome Flying V Trunk Rack - CycleOps (photos)

Puddle Jumper

Herriman, UT United States
Ray, I'm new here with my Vision I purchased just before Memorial Day. I am interested in adding mirrors like those partial round mirrors you have above the stock ones. Do you recall where you got them?
Terry
bbrist
Posted 2018-06-19 5:38 AM (#192593 - in reply to #92717)

Cruiser

Try Amazon using this "Auxilary Wide-Angle Side-View Mirror " it shows a few different styles.
rainryder II
Posted 2018-06-20 12:39 PM (#192595 - in reply to #92717)

Cruiser

How do those aux mirrors attach? Peel & Stick velcro? Or double sided tape? I'm tired of the great view I have of my knuckles when I'm riding. I keep an eye on them, but they never seem to pass me...
rdbudd
Posted 2018-06-21 9:56 AM (#192596 - in reply to #192595)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
rainryder II - 2018-06-20 12:39 PM

How do those aux mirrors attach? Peel & Stick velcro? Or double sided tape? I'm tired of the great view I have of my knuckles when I'm riding. I keep an eye on them, but they never seem to pass me...

I got mine from an RV supply place. They simply clamp on to the front access panel. Mine have been on there for several years now. I find them very useful, and they are in the same plane as your stock mirrors. It's easy to view both sets simultaneously.
Davet
Posted 2018-06-28 4:45 AM (#192613 - in reply to #192595)

Puddle Jumper

Sacramento, CA United States
The mirrors slip under the plastic trim with a clamp which ya tighten from a false cover at the front of the mirror. One suggestion though... after positioning them use some kinda adhesive around the mirror and shell to secure the position. I used E6000 from Home Depot (found in the paint section). It's an industrial clear adhesive popular for fish tank repair (so ya know it's weather-proof). I've had mine for a few years and wouldn't ride without 'em.
RoteBarron
Posted 2018-07-06 9:39 PM (#192629 - in reply to #92717)
Subject: RE: Installed Chrome Flying V Trunk Rack - CycleOps (photos)

Puddle Jumper

Cheyenne, WY United States
That is one sweet looking rack....so to speak. I would recommend (If not too late) to add wider washers at the base to better spread the weight on the top. I've tried to add picks of mind (on an OEM rack). Eifher way you have a sweet looking rack there.

Edited by RoteBarron 2018-07-06 9:41 PM

(washer2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments washer2.JPG (1849KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™