You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Audio output - line out ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Turk
Posted 2011-09-27 1:39 PM (#97883)
Subject: Audio output - line out ?

Iron Butt

Can the audio cable in the 'glove box' be used (switched) for audio out, so I can run it to the speakers in my helmet? If not, is there a hidden line out connector somewhere ?

Edited by Turk 2011-09-27 1:39 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
radioteacher
Posted 2011-09-27 1:43 PM (#97885 - in reply to #97883)
Subject: Re: Audio output - line out ?

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
There is no line out audio that I have found to date....and I have looked.....a lot.

The schematics show the outputs of the 34 pin connector for the radio but not the 26 pin connector.

I wish I could find a schematic for the 26 pin connector....maybe it has something usable.....maybe not.

Ride Safe
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2011-09-27 2:36 PM (#97890 - in reply to #97883)
Subject: RE: Audio output - line out ?

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
If you decide to upgrade your system with a new amp, get one with an auxillary line out. That way you can run a line to your helmet, bluetooth, etc, or expand your system at anytime.
sfalexi
Posted 2011-09-27 4:40 PM (#97904 - in reply to #97883)

Tourer

Columbia, SC
Even if there's no amp, there should be a way to tap into the speakers and get some unit somewhere that will take the left/right positive and negative terminals and turn it into an aux out. Not a bad idea actually. I've been wondering how to get the audio to my headset without paying $1000 for an intercom/cb kit.....
cchristo
Posted 2011-09-27 5:33 PM (#97909 - in reply to #97883)

Tourer

san antonio, tx
Looking at a wiring diagram for a 2010, on the 26 pin connector, pin4 is line out Left+, pin 5 is Line Out Right+, pin 11 is Line Out -.

I don't have any idea what the line voltage is, so it may or may not be enough to drive a set of headphones.

These pinouts feed into the CB/Intercom module which in turn sends the signal to the driver and passenger headseats. I suppose if you wanted to, you could tap into the wires, hook them up to your headset and see what happens. I can't imagine it would hurt anything.
KansasGuardsman
Posted 2011-09-27 6:56 PM (#97911 - in reply to #97883)

Cruiser

Wichita, Kansas
<blockquote><p>Do an Ebay search for "speaker line level converter". There are many and they are pretty much all under $10.  Then you can connect to the speakers and not worry about the pin numbers.</p></blockquote>

Edited by KansasGuardsman 2011-09-27 6:57 PM
sfalexi
Posted 2011-09-27 7:37 PM (#97916 - in reply to #97911)

Tourer

Columbia, SC
KansasGuardsman - 2011-09-27 7:56 PM

Do an Ebay search for "speaker line level converter". There are many and they are pretty much all under $10.? Then you can connect to the speakers and not worry about the pin numbers.

In this case, it would play from both the speakers AND the headphones, right? As it's just getting the same input that the headphones are getting?

Or can someone put up a PDF of the install of the CB intercom system, we tap into the intercom's L/R signals system, and then tell our radio to play through the "headphones"?

Alexi
cchristo
Posted 2011-09-27 7:51 PM (#97919 - in reply to #97883)

Tourer

san antonio, tx
I think that's what you'll achieve with my earlier post.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to do basically the same thing, except that instead of a wired headset, I'll go the wireless bluetooth route.

I think I'm going to tap a bluetooth transmitter in at pins 4, 5 , and 11 and draw power for it from pin 8 using a homemade voltage regulator to bring it to the required 5vdc. I'm thinking I should be able to do it for not much more than $20.00. I should be able to switch off the speakers doing it this way and still have audio out to my helmet speakers.
radioteacher
Posted 2011-09-28 8:16 AM (#97952 - in reply to #97909)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
cchristo - 2011-09-27 5:33 PM

Looking at a wiring diagram for a 2010, on the 26 pin connector, pin4 is line out Left+, pin 5 is Line Out Right+, pin 11 is Line Out -.

I don't have any idea what the line voltage is, so it may or may not be enough to drive a set of headphones.

These pinouts feed into the CB/Intercom module which in turn sends the signal to the driver and passenger headseats. I suppose if you wanted to, you could tap into the wires, hook them up to your headset and see what happens. I can't imagine it would hurt anything.

That is great information. Since it is line out with only left and right I could use it to feed the amp and use the setting SPEAKERS OFF to turn off the stock amp. I would loose Fader control but I can set front and back volumes at the amp using the Gain settings.

Ride Safe
sfalexi
Posted 2011-09-28 4:25 PM (#97984 - in reply to #97909)

Tourer

Columbia, SC
cchristo - 2011-09-27 6:33 PM

Perfect. I use a J&M Integratr, and so I can just create a lineout with male 3.5 mm at the end. Tuck it up somewhere nice, and then whenever the wife and I go somewhere or I prefer to hear it out of my helmet speakers, pop that bad boy into my integratr.

Thanks!
cchristo
Posted 2011-10-01 12:41 PM (#98225 - in reply to #97883)

Tourer

san antonio, tx
Just ordered this. About $27.00 with S/H. The only other things I should need is a female stereo plug and a couple bits of wire which I already have laying around. Yeah, I know.....I blew my $20.00 goal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A2DP-Bluetooth-Stereo-Transmitter-iPod-iPho...

It should arrive sometime next week and I hope to have it installed and testing it for the weekend. Based on the description, this is the best one for our purposes (a cheaper alternative to the Victory Bluetooth dongle for $200.00+)

There are several different dongles I've found that may work, but I'm trying this one for the following reasons.

* It looks like it's pretty well made, unlike some of the others that look very fragile and cheap.
* It specifies that the charging plug can be left in at all times and still function. (some USB items I've seen can't do that).
* It has a physical on/off switch that you can tell just by looking at it if it's on or off.
* It's black, and it looks cooler than the other ones! Since black bikes are faster than the other colors, I figure the same logic will apply here.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Edited by cchristo 2011-10-01 12:43 PM
cchristo
Posted 2011-10-10 7:40 PM (#98776 - in reply to #98225)

Tourer

san antonio, tx
Well, the dongle I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/A2DP-Bluetooth-Stereo-Transmitter-iPod-iPho... finally arrived today.
I don't have the time to wire it in to the bike today but I was able to do a little testing.

The good news is that it works pretty good with my Cardo Scala G4 setup. No problems syncing it at all. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the Sena, or any other Bluetooth intercom. For that matter, you can get Bluetooth headsets pretty cheap now if you don't want/need an intercom.

For testing purposes, I just plugged the dongle directly into the Ipod.

I was able to make and receive phone calls with my blackberry and receive and initiate intercom conversations. Music being streamed throught the Dongle would stop and start automatically with the phone and intercom (in that order) taking priority.

There are a couple of annoyances, but they aren't bad after I figured them out. The first is that the VOX feature apears to be disabled when I'm streaming A2DP bluetooth. Not a big deal for me, I didn't like it much anyway....either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. The G4 has a PTT that puts it into duplex intercom mode and stays in that mode until you hit the PTT button again. It works fine for me.

The second annoyance is that it takes up to 30 seconds for the music to begin playing after it's interupted by a phone call or intercom call. Again, not a big deal after I learned that it took that long to restart. At first I thought it would not restart automatically and I frustrated myself by smashing buttons, turning things on and off, and re-syncing. Patience will sometimes get you farther!

Tomorrow I'm going to try splicing in to the intercom wiring (I don't have the CB/Intercom) and see how it goes.

If it works out, I'll post pictures and a full review.

Edited by cchristo 2011-10-10 8:09 PM
cchristo
Posted 2011-10-15 10:22 AM (#99093 - in reply to #97883)

Tourer

san antonio, tx
I've finished building and installing my home made bluetooth dongle. I posted a pretty detailed (read boring) write up with a few pictures here:
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10076&po...
icemann
Posted 2013-09-05 11:57 PM (#144147 - in reply to #97883)

Cruiser

, OH
SENA SM10 DUAL STREAM BLUETOOTH STEREO TRANSMITTER FOR NAVIGATION OR AUDIO
Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-06 1:30 PM (#144157 - in reply to #97883)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Icemann, try here http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10099&po...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™