You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

backfires and lack of power
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

swrench
Posted 2013-07-09 12:24 PM (#141381)
Subject: backfires and lack of power

Puddle Jumper

I?m having trouble with a lot of backfires and lack of power when throttling from a stop or after shifting. At times when I go to accelerate the engine just sputters until I let up on the throttle, and then surges when I accelerate again (this has created some dangerous passing situations).

2008 Vision: I have a Lloyd'z intake plate installed, along with the modified S1/L2 I purchased from nobodyhome, that are referenced in the post below. The ECM was re-mapped to the L1/S2 after installation. The issue existed before adding the intake plate, so I don?t think that?s a contributor.

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2223&sta...

?I have the Victory S1L2 pipes on my Vision and as many - found them to be fairly mild (much more mild than I had expected). I followed this thread and took the baffles out (which isn't hard once you get the two hold down screws removed and use two small nail pullers to rotate the baffle and pull it out). Then I bought two sheets (12" x 18" of 22 gage weldable steel from Ace Hardware and wrapped it around the complete length of the baffle. I then installed a number of clamps to hold the steel wrap in place. The baffle perforations are completely covered and the sound transmitted from the engine is much improved. Basically it provides a much lower rumble at lower rpms and then slightly louder as you get on the throttle. Much, much better than the stock S1L2, but not too obnoxious. I realize that in purchasing an aftermarket exhaust for the Vision, you might have an expectation not to have to muck with it. I bought mine with the S1L2, so I never experienced the stock muffler sound, but I imagine it must be pretty wimpy. I was disappointed in the S1L2 until my modification. But now all is good!?

I?m considering the power commander 5 with an auto tuner in the hopes that it will resolve my issues. From the forum it looks like there a few of you with 08s that have installed these, though the manufacture?s web site lists them for 09 and above, Any compatibility issues with the 08s?

I?m also thinking about taking the S1/L2 pipes back to stock. I?d like to avoid this because I?m happy with the way the bike sounds, but will give it a shot if that?s what?s needed to get back to acceptable performance. As a last resort I still have the original exhaust. Any advice on which way to go is appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Vicbuilder
Posted 2013-07-09 12:36 PM (#141383 - in reply to #141381)
Subject: RE: backfires and lack of power

Cruiser

The Vic Shop - Central Iowa
You probably have an air leak at the throttle body boot and/or IAC hoses.
V92SC
Posted 2013-07-09 1:21 PM (#141384 - in reply to #141381)
Subject: Re: backfires and lack of power

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
Ditto what he said. Every 08 VV owner needs to check the L shaped boot at the throttle body end of the 2 hoses that communicate from the front and rear of the throttle body to the IAC. I replaced mine with those from a Chrysler EGR valve boot. The enviorment between the cylinder heads is quiet hot most of the time ith little cool air causing fairly rapid degredation of the rubber boots. They develope small cracks that are in fact air leaks contributing to poor engine performance.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-07-09 6:42 PM (#141394 - in reply to #141381)

Visionary

Rylan speaks theres not left to say
swrench
Posted 2013-07-09 11:32 PM (#141400 - in reply to #141381)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks for the replies, I took the wedge off the right side and inspected it the best I could. I didn't see anything obviously wrong, but that's a tight space. It goes in for service on the 20th and I'll ask the mechanic to take a look.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-07-10 7:13 PM (#141423 - in reply to #141381)

Visionary

Take that right wedge off again and with bike running spray some carb cleaner up there. If idle changes or bike kills you have a air leak
kevinx
Posted 2013-07-11 12:17 PM (#141451 - in reply to #141381)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Been seeing the 08 fuel pumps starting to go of late. Make sure to have fuel pressure checked
swrench
Posted 2013-07-11 8:22 PM (#141483 - in reply to #141381)

Puddle Jumper

I had a chance to to try the carb cleaner, and no change in idle. I'll still have the mechanic give it a thorough check, and ask about the fuel pressure also.
Turk
Posted 2013-07-12 6:32 AM (#141505 - in reply to #141451)

Iron Butt

Sounds like low fuel pressure to me.
swrench
Posted 2013-07-24 6:51 PM (#142072 - in reply to #141381)

Puddle Jumper

Update: Got the bike back from the shop today. The problem the mechanic found was an exposed spark plug wire that was causing one of the cylinders to misfire. It's raining so my test ride was limited to getting it home from the shop, about 25 miles. I've got my fingers crossed that the problem is truly fixed. I also had a slow oil leak that I was worried about. That turned out to be a bad washer at the drain plug. All in all a much cheaper day than it could have been. Thanks again to all who posted possible fixes.
Turk
Posted 2013-07-25 7:08 AM (#142082 - in reply to #142072)

Iron Butt

swrench - 2013-07-24 6:51 PM

Update: Got the bike back from the shop today. The problem the mechanic found was an exposed spark plug wire that was causing one of the cylinders to misfire. It's raining so my test ride was limited to getting it home from the shop, about 25 miles. I've got my fingers crossed that the problem is truly fixed. I also had a slow oil leak that I was worried about. That turned out to be a bad washer at the drain plug. All in all a much cheaper day than it could have been. Thanks again to all who posted possible fixes.

Awesome! Glad it was a relatively easy fix! Kudo's to your mechanic for starting with the simple stuff first and finding what others might overlook.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™