You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Rear top case turn signal mod
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Sgtsrh
Posted 2013-07-17 11:25 PM (#141783)
Subject: Rear top case turn signal mod

New user

Olds, Alberta
I realize that there are numerous posts on this topic but I can't seem to find anything that simply mods the top case running lights to function as turn signals. Don't want brake lights or flashing lights or anything complex. Just running lights that perform a secondary turn signal function. Is this simple without buying any switches or modules and tapping a bunch of new wiring ? Appreciate any suggestions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Wharf_rat
Posted 2013-07-18 5:47 AM (#141785 - in reply to #141783)
Subject: Re: Rear top case turn signal mod

Cruiser

Republic of Texas
I added a LED strip to te GAP inside the lid. The LED has a yellow/Red/Yellow combination. Then spliced it into the existing circuit. Tip: use a plug assembly in case you want to remove the trunk.
rdbudd
Posted 2013-07-18 10:21 AM (#141793 - in reply to #141785)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Wharf_rat - 2013-07-18 5:47 AM

I added a LED strip to te GAP inside the lid. The LED has a yellow/Red/Yellow combination. Then spliced it into the existing circuit. Tip: use a plug assembly in case you want to remove the trunk.

That's what I did also. It's easy. No controller needed.

The existing running lights are on a common circuit. To convert them means you have to modify the wiring into two new circuits. Using them as running and turn signals (and brake, if you wish) is usually done by adding a Kuryaykn 4710 module, but you still have to modify the wiring into two circuits.

Ronnie
Rick 106
Posted 2013-07-18 11:22 AM (#141797 - in reply to #141783)

Cruiser

pictures?
Rick 106
Posted 2013-07-18 11:38 AM (#141800 - in reply to #141783)

Cruiser

ijust started thinking about this. I have a trailer hitch installed. Would be very easy to run wires from where the trailer plugs in to the trunk. Question is, has anyone replaced the light socket with a one that handles a stop / turn bulb?
Jeddo
Posted 2013-07-19 5:56 AM (#141832 - in reply to #141783)

Puddle Jumper

Thumb, MI United States
Wharf Rat I just got my "13" VV and would like to do the same (simple) mod. Could you provide a source for good quality red and yellow led light strips, any tips on cutting them to the correct length then attaching to the trunk and sealing to prevent corrosion. Is it necessary to drill holes in the trunk lid for this app. Would you suggest 3 sae connectors or possibly a trailer 4 lead pigtail with a common ground. Are the wires for running lights and turn signals pictured in a previous thread that you think might help me, as mentioned there are many threads with more complicated apps to search but few show pics. Thanks for any help.
rdbudd
Posted 2013-07-19 8:51 AM (#141834 - in reply to #141832)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
When I did mine, I used Songfan's idea for a brake light with a slight modification. I used two Amber LED strips and one Red LED strip. I hooked the red strip up just like Songfan did. I hooked each amber strip up to the appropriate turn signal in the same manner. Now, I have the trunk running lights operating as they always did, a new center brake light, and two new amber turn signals. Here is a link to his writeup on the installation, that I more or less copied. http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4824&pos...

I used the Positaps just like Songfan did to make the connections.

It is my understanding that the newer Visions from about 2011 on up have a trailer connector built in, which would make the connections even easier.

Ronnie
Jeddo
Posted 2013-07-19 11:51 PM (#141877 - in reply to #141783)

Puddle Jumper

Thumb, MI United States
Thanks so much for the info and thread referral rd. I have had lots of fun farkling my other bikes but the vv comes so equipped that this mod and probably led spots (I live in deer country) are the main ones. Also checking into Justin Hatch toe rest. Now on to the Songfan thread to get educated. Great forum.
ljurgens
Posted 2013-11-26 8:36 PM (#149178 - in reply to #141877)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

Jeddo did you get yours installed and working ?  I just got my 13 VV and want to do this same thing.

-Lance

Lojak
Posted 2013-11-26 10:42 PM (#149180 - in reply to #141783)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
Step by step pictures for installing 4710 module. (link)

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8013&pos...
Lojak
Posted 2013-11-26 10:48 PM (#149181 - in reply to #141783)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
Sorry... wrong link...try this one..pdf. file

http://www.vision-riders.com/files/Kuryakin4710VisionInstall.pdf
http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/4710-25HD-0706.pdf
ljurgens
Posted 2013-11-27 4:41 PM (#149186 - in reply to #149181)

Tourer

Thanks Lojak, I've seen that one.
I was just wondering if he had gotten his yellow/red/yellow LED's installed WITHOUT the 4710.

I want to install a set the same way in the gap on the trunk:
14" red in the middle for brakes
9" amber on each side for turn signals

From what I've read, there should be a pigtail for the trailer harness on my 13 that I can simply tap into with a new connector (made by me) and wire them up directly, nothing else required.

I want to add a small single amber to the top corner of each side of the front fairing as well for blinkers.

-Lance

rdbudd
Posted 2013-11-27 6:04 PM (#149188 - in reply to #149186)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
ljurgens - 2013-11-27 4:41 PM

I was just wondering if he had gotten his yellow/red/yellow LED's installed WITHOUT the 4710.

From what I've read, there should be a pigtail for the trailer harness on my 13 that I can simply tap into with a new connector (made by me) and wire them up directly, nothing else required.

I want to add a small single amber to the top corner of each side of the front fairing as well for blinkers.

-Lance

?

I'm not sure such a pigtail exists. I wired mine (same set up you describe) directly to the wiring harness by using Positaps, just like Songfan first described. No 4710 controller, no cutting and splicing of wires, no equalizers. The LEDs are wired in parallel with the factory lights and draw so little current that the bike doesn't even know they are on the system. Cruise control is unaffected.

Go to the tech section and look up Songfan's "Mother of All Brakelights" article. I followed it, except I did the 14" Red in the center, tapping into the brake light circuit as Songfan did, and 9" Amber on the sides, tapping into the turn circuits, just as you want to do. Works great.

Ronnie
ljurgens
Posted 2013-11-28 8:58 AM (#149199 - in reply to #149188)

Tourer

Great Ronnie, just what I wanted to hear. 

Probably asked, but would you know what item numbers and where you got the LEDs? I'm having a hard time locating a 14" long strip for the Red one. 

And, would you be willing to post a picture of your trunk lip showing how you routed the wiring for the individual strings?

Thanks!

jb.hatch
Posted 2013-11-28 1:00 PM (#149204 - in reply to #141783)

Cruiser

Phenix City AL.
Radienz LED ( do a google search) has the light that you might like, that's what I had on my vision, I wired it into my trailer hitch wiring.
Turk
Posted 2013-11-29 7:54 AM (#149212 - in reply to #149186)

Iron Butt

ljurgens - 2013-11-27 4:41 PM

-Lance

?

I believe that I was the one trumpeting the existence of the "pigtail" on my wiring harness. As it turns out, that pigtail is NOT on the stock OEM harness, it's on Gary Lighton's aftermarket sequencing harness that I had installed a long time ago and forgotten about!

Edited by Turk 2013-11-29 7:54 AM
ljurgens
Posted 2013-11-29 8:28 AM (#149213 - in reply to #149212)

Tourer

Ok Turk, thanks for the info. I won't go looking for it ;-)

I think I'll still use the t-taps and just leave my top case running lights alone. Adding in the LED strips to the gap in the trunk.

Thanks,
-Lance

rdbudd
Posted 2013-11-29 12:35 PM (#149217 - in reply to #149199)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
ljurgens - 2013-11-28 8:58 AM

Great Ronnie, just what I wanted to hear.?

Probably asked, but would you know what item numbers and where you got the LEDs? I'm having a hard time locating a 14" long strip for the Red one.?

And, would you be willing to post a picture of your trunk lip showing how you routed the wiring for the individual strings?

Thanks!

?

Again, following Songfan's lead, I used LEDs from Custom Dynamics, the Stringerz. The red strip is a 30 LED, if I remember right and it matches the length of the center trim piece. I used the length matching the length of the existing running lights for the Ambers, but I don't remember the count. You could use longer ones if you wish.
http://www.customdynamics.com/stingerz_led_accent_lights.htm

I just looked at their website and they have a LOT more stuff available now than when I did mine. You might find something else that trips your fancy.

The wires are very small and I just tucked the ones for the center strip up and along the edge of the trunk, above the right side amber strip. I just pulled the slack out of the wires for the center strip and then installed the Amber strip. It holds the wires in place. There's nothing showing, except where the wires follow the hinge down. The wires for the left hand LED strip I took down the left hinge and across the top edge of the trunk, just tucking them in between the inner and outer skin of the trunk, over to the right hinge, where they join the other wires and go down into the trunk. I left enough slack so they don't get pinched or pulled with the hinge movement. There is really nothing to see or show once they are installed. The wires go down into the trunk base just like Songfan outlined.

I found it easiest to make my connections to the bike's wire harness with Positaps and new lengths of wire long enough to run up through the base (label each one if using a common color) and then working a heavy wire down through the base, then taping ALL the new wires to it at one time, and pulling them up and out of the base. Make them a little longer than you really need, for ease handling and of spicing, and you can cut any excess off as you splice each onto the appropriate LED wire, or there is plenty of room in the trunk base to just push them back down through the hinge hole. If you use Positaps at that those connections, you'll want to leave enough slack so you can push the finished bundle down into the base out of harm's way. You'll have four wires to bring up: A common ground, and one each for the brake and turns.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2013-11-29 12:41 PM
ljurgens
Posted 2014-01-02 1:52 PM (#150192 - in reply to #149217)

Tourer

I just did this mod, cost me about $30 total including shipping on the following items:

2 each Amber LED strips

1 each Red LED strip

T-Taps, corragated wire loom and 18 guage wire, 

Here are a few pictures of the install. I ran the wires from each strip up into the space between the inner and out lid to keep them out of the way and make for a nice clean install. I'll put a dab of silicone in those holes to seal them up. I drilled a 3/8 hole near the other loom as it exited the inner lid and ran my wires through that. After I fished the wires down through and into the seat area, I pushed a 3/8 plastic wire loom over the wires all the way down to protect this new harness. You see that coming out of the inner lid in the one photo.
I did find that the turn signals were on the two blue wires, the wires are identical in the loom. So it was just a matter of tapping and then connecting to the correct light strip. I'll add a picture of the under seat wiring next time I'm under there.

Installed:
Lights installed

Brake light, sorry for the bad picture.
The strip is centered on the crease in the lid. it ends about a 1/2 inch in from the corner on both sides:
Brake light 

Amber turns:
Amber turn signals 

Installed on the lid:
Installed in lid 

Entering the lid:Closeup of how wires go into the lid

Lower routing past the hinge:
How the loom routes down the hinge 

Amber on both sides:
Amber both sides 

Edited by ljurgens 2014-01-02 1:55 PM
okie vision
Posted 2014-01-02 8:46 PM (#150204 - in reply to #141783)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Great mods.

It's interesting to me that everyone is using amber for rear turn signals. Seems almost all rear turns in the USA are red and only front are amber but it does look good.
el spanky
Posted 2014-01-02 8:58 PM (#150205 - in reply to #141783)

Cruiser

Victoria Tx, TX United States

looks good!!
ljurgens
Posted 2014-01-03 8:38 AM (#150214 - in reply to #150204)

Tourer

okie vision - 2014-01-02 8:46 PM Great mods. It's interesting to me that everyone is using amber for rear turn signals. Seems almost all rear turns in the USA are red and only front are amber but it does look good.

Good point Okie. You see Amber once in a while but mostly just Red. I think its a cost savings for the manufacturers since they don't need extra lens if they just keep them red.

For me, I'm planning to put a shorter piece of this same LED behind the mirrors in the fairing so I wanted both of the side blinkers to be Amber.

Oldman47
Posted 2014-01-03 3:59 PM (#150226 - in reply to #141783)

Tourer

Central Illinois
The turn signals are red in the US and amber elsewhere. It would be cheaper for manufacturers if everyone used the same standards.
wingit3611
Posted 2014-01-04 12:33 PM (#150240 - in reply to #141783)

Cruiser

Some place I read that by law, turn signel are supposed to be amber & brake lites red. Seems logical to me, but I wonder why so many red turn signel other than the fact that 1157 bulb that were commanly used are behind red lenses. I vote for amber turn signels.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-03-08 4:33 AM (#152071 - in reply to #150240)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
wingit3611 - 2014-01-04 12:33 PM

Some place I read that by law, turn signel are supposed to be amber & brake lites red. Seems logical to me, but I wonder why so many red turn signel other than the fact that 1157 bulb that were commanly used are behind red lenses. I vote for amber turn signels.

up front not in the rear... (amber)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™