You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tie down for trailering
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Travelin Man
Posted 2011-04-12 2:05 PM (#83833)
Subject: Tie down for trailering

Iron Butt

In a couple of weeks my wife and I and another couple will be driving from the Chicago area to Las Vegas for our annual vacation at our timeshare.  Yes I said driving as we are using a conversation van to tow a 20' enclosed trailer with our 4 bikes inside (both of our wives ride their own, just not that far).  I have never trailered my Vision before and I have a question about tying it down properly.  I am using a Condor chock and securing the front with the eyebolts in tipovers is already known, what I need to know is the best way to secure the rear end of the Vision to prevent and sideways movement.  On my Goldwings I used to put a tie down on each rear crash guard but on the Vision it does not form a loop to secure a tie down to.  I could go to the grab handles but they are plastic (although industrial strength, they are still plastic) plus I would have to deal with clearing the saddlebags covers then to.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
rainryder
Posted 2011-04-12 4:48 PM (#83859 - in reply to #83833)
Subject: Re: Tie down for trailering

Tourer

Bay of Gigs, WA
On my Street, I use the luggage rack, 1" straps with ratchets, and just enough to hold the bike still, not enough to bend the rack, which no doubt could be done. The eyelets beneath the floorboards, along with the Condor, which I also use, do the lions share of the work, I don't pull the shocks all the way down, but about 3/4's, maybe a bit more. It stays put just fine on my 5X10' tilt bed trailer, doesn't move at all in the backup mirror, and has gone from WA to CA and back without mishap. We get lots of thumbs up from whoever passes by, which makes it a less annoying task to wash the bike whenever we get to where we're going, depending on what we run into weatherwise, which usually has some bad spots around this neck of the woods. GLTY!
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-04-12 7:28 PM (#83878 - in reply to #83833)

Iron Butt

Thanks, an idea has come to mind about replacing one bolt under each rear tipover protector with a grade 8 eyebolt from McMaster Carr. This would make it a simple matter of just hooking the tie down into it then to secure the rear of the bike from side to side movement. Last year my dealer had to rescue me when my clutch master cylinder failed (couldn't disengage the clutch) and when they towed it they used a simple Pingel chock, the front tie downs and a single tie down in the rear around and through the rear tire, I felt that okay for a short distance but for a 1800 mile trip I want something a little more secure.
savage
Posted 2011-04-12 11:45 PM (#83888 - in reply to #83833)

Cruiser

I use a Moose chock along with tiedowns hooked to the slot provided in the frame for tiedowns in the front and through the rear tipovers just to keep the rear from moving side to side. Never had an issue.
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-04-13 2:05 AM (#83890 - in reply to #83833)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
A lot of talk about NOT using the eyebolts on the front tipovers, and some good ideas of places to secure the rear end here. . .
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7896&pos...
vwfarm
Posted 2011-04-17 3:24 AM (#84151 - in reply to #83833)

Cruiser

Ennis, Tx
I do what the Vision manual says to do...   Tie down on the front under headlight on the loop -- and the rear tipovers  --  I use a Harbor Freight MC wheel choke and a strap on the rear wheel to the rear of trailer..   And that bike is snug as a bug in a rug...  I've had no problems...   First trip in a trailer was from the dealership and they didn't know how to trailer it and they tied it down on the handle bars and messed up the throttle sleeve...   
hoosiervic
Posted 2011-04-17 8:56 AM (#84166 - in reply to #83833)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
<p>Not to steal the thread but I recently purchased some new ratcheting tie down straps that work great. No loose ends to flap around and damage the paint on your bike. Do a google search for ratcheting tie downs and you will find many brands are now available.</p>

Edited by hoosiervic 2011-04-17 9:22 AM
norcan
Posted 2011-04-17 9:17 AM (#84168 - in reply to #83833)

Cruiser

Edmonton Alberta, Canada
I follow the operators manual, the loop behind the lightbucket, on the rear, I put one strap on each rear tip over, I lift up the rear passengers floor boards. just snug as this is only to stop the rear from sideways movment. I prefer the front tied as high as posible, thus worry about the the eye bolts snaping and having the vision lay over either on the wall or worse yet......on another bike! I have trailered maybe only 1000 miles total, but no issues.
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-04-17 2:41 PM (#84185 - in reply to #84166)

Iron Butt

hoosiervic - 2011-04-17 8:56 AM

Not to steal the thread but I recently purchased some new ratcheting tie down straps that work great. No loose ends to flap around and damage the paint on your bike. Do a google search for ratcheting tie downs and you will find many brands are now available.

I purchased those at Sam's Club, (4) 6' ratcheting tie downs for $14.99,  1500 pound max. load, 500 working load.  I love how you don't have to deal with any flapping ends (when not using an enclosed trailer) and the hooks will fit perfectly into the front loop.

DrGuitar62
Posted 2016-04-02 8:51 AM (#181763 - in reply to #83833)
Subject: RE: Tie down for trailering

New user

I Use the Lock & Load system for trailering. DO NOT use the rear seat handles to secure the rear end as mine broke off on one side and the self ratcheting strap on the other side pulled the bike over in the enclosed trailer. Wish I had learned to use the rear tip-over protection bar before I made my mistake. Now my new bike is going back to the dealer to get fixed. Learn from my mistake and do not strap down using rear seat handles.
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-04-02 6:05 PM (#181768 - in reply to #83833)

Visionary

over thinking it. Tie down to tire. one on each side or even rear tip over.
for front end soft ties two on each bottom fork.
for the front end never trust just one always two per side
headlight slot sucks or maybe you like rub marks on fender
Ferta McDaniels
Posted 2016-04-05 8:02 PM (#181798 - in reply to #83833)

Puddle Jumper

Okeana, OH United States
I use a wheel chock and soft ties to the forks with a ratchet strap on the front (each side). For the rear I just run a 2" strap through the wheel and ratchet it down to rings in the trailer floor. After traveling 15-20 miles, I check the straps and adjust if necessary. I also check when I stop for gas.
EGA44
Posted 2016-04-07 8:00 PM (#181865 - in reply to #83833)
Subject: RE: Tie down for trailering

Cruiser

Gotha, FL
Same thing... I had to trailer once and it worked like it was suppose to. Tie down on the front under headlight on the loop -- and the rear tipovers -- I use a Harbor Freight MC wheel choke and a strap on the rear wheel to the rear of trailer. Use ratchet straps and as far as front end...no damage to front fender at all.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™